less = more????

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i train 3x a week and my workout includes chest tris/back bis/shoulders and legs and i lift 3x a week giving me 4 days of rest. is more rest like THIS better for growing?? or should i add one more day in of training?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
depends on the routine you're doing. if its full body you really can't go more often. if you're on the push/pull system you can squeeze another day into it.

what does your setup look like?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
in the past, i had an arm day, now i combined tri's with chest and bi's with back

Mon - Chest/Tri's (i do about 3 workouts with each muscle group)
Tues - Back/Bi's
Wed - OFF
Thursday - 5x5 (squat, shoulder press, bench)
Fri - OFF
Saturday - usually legs but im debating on taking this day off and throw in a few more things for legs when i do 5x5.
Sunday -OFF

me and you are the same height. what workout style do you do. i weigh right under 180

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
if you wanted to make that a 4 day routine IMO at least, i would do :

M - chest/tri's/don't forget the front and mid delts
T - back/bi's/rear delts
W - legs
Th - off
F - off
S - 5x5
Sun - off

you may not get great recovery off this. i know you can't do a full on leg day and walk into a 5x5 within 48 hours, and there's barely time to recover from doing a 5x5 and walking into a balls to the wall chest/tri day. this is the best way to do that setup in my opinion, but again, i'm not sure how quickly you'll recover. you'll have to try this out for a week or two to gauge where your recovery is at.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
what workout routine did you do to help u get to your weight. i wanna hit 200 naturally. i know diet is KEY, but as far as training goes, what helped u the most. i used to do 2 on, 1 off but never saw growth. then again, that was when i wasnt worried about diet like i am now. but i have to have sundays off. i would like wednesdays off but i can fit it in

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
You need to figure what works for your body. Some guys recover faster than others and can workout more often. I work my body an average of 2 1/2 times a week. Depending on your diet and supplements, you might recover just as quick. Maybe your workout is more intense and it takes your body longer to heal. When you train a body part see how long it takes to feel like its ready to be trained again, then find a plan that you can tailor for your own body.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You need to figure what works for your body. Some guys recover faster than others and can workout more often. I work my body an average of 2 1/2 times a week. Depending on your diet and supplements, you might recover just as quick. Maybe your workout is more intense and it takes your body longer to heal. When you train a body part see how long it takes to feel like its ready to be trained again, then find a plan that you can tailor for your own body.

i understand that, but i wanna see some sample training routines that has worked for others. if i hit chest hard, it takes 2 days to be not sore. i can train back just has hard, and be barely sore the next day. legs, i get sore very very easily. arms are just average day to 2 days MAX to be not sore. for mass, but not fat gain(i know diet is with this) what routines do you guys do? each body part or push pull or 5x5 or what

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
my best gains were from total body workouts on MWF focusing on increasing reps on M and W, while decreasing reps and increasing weights on F. right now i'm working on a very slow recomp. obviously diet plays a huge role in whatever your goals are though.

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
Well your doing the right thing- asking questions! I was natural until I hit 215lbs. I have alot of respect for guys willing to put in the time to put on some size. I used alot of routines in the past but I think this is what worked best for me...Mon: Chest and Tr's- I usually did 3sets 10reps,8 and 6. I started with incline dumbell press, then flat bench, then flies, then weighted dips, tricep pushdowns, and kickbacks. I ended Monday with 1 set of 8 reps dumbell shrugs. Tues: Back and Bi's- Deadlifts, t-bar rows, weighted chins, Hammer curls, concentration curls. Wed: OFF Thurs: Shoulders and traps- front raises, side laterals, a machine for rear delts, Shoulder press, front shrugs, rear shrugs. Fri: Legs-Squats, leg press, stiff leg deadlifts, leg curls, seated calve raise, standing calve raises- My calves were stubborn so I did my reps real slow.- Sat: OFF Sun: OFF

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well your doing the right thing- asking questions! I was natural until I hit 215lbs. I have alot of respect for guys willing to put in the time to put on some size. I used alot of routines in the past but I think this is what worked best for me...Mon: Chest and Tr's- I usually did 3sets 10reps,8 and 6. I started with incline dumbell press, then flat bench, then flies, then weighted dips, tricep pushdowns, and kickbacks. I ended Monday with 1 set of 8 reps dumbell shrugs. Tues: Back and Bi's- Deadlifts, t-bar rows, weighted chins, Hammer curls, concentration curls. Wed: OFF Thurs: Shoulders and traps- front raises, side laterals, a machine for rear delts, Shoulder press, front shrugs, rear shrugs. Fri: Legs-Squats, leg press, stiff leg deadlifts, leg curls, seated calve raise, standing calve raises- My calves were stubborn so I did my reps real slow.- Sat: OFF Sun: OFF
ya i used to do that and after a while my gains slowed down thats why i threw in the 5x5 and mix it up alot also. i dunno what to do lol

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i did M 8 reps, W 10 reps, and F increasing the weight using the 2.5 plates (5 pound total) and shooting for 6 reps. you'd be amazed how much you can increase weights when its only 5 pounds at a time - especially on deadlifts :)

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i completely agree. thats why i write down what i lift so the next time i increase it even by 5. can somebody write a good mass workout that i still get my arms trained and keep wed and sunday off

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
i gain more in size when i have atleast three days off a week. i am always sore as hell after everyworkout, i almost need a day off after everyone.

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
My arms seem to grow more when I only do a couple heavy sets after back or chest (back- biceps, chest- tri's) For me less is more. I've had my arms upto 20" with less work.