Help better my workout

tots

Awards
hello im new to the fourms being trolling around to better my training efforts. But cant decide which workout will be best for me
i was hoping to get some help.
things about me Im 17 years old lifting for 5 years now year around haven’t stopped since i started. I weigh 159 5'8 trying to put on muscles mass and get to 10 percent body fat to get lower abs to show with chiseled look. i need your help cause i don’t fell my body progressing any more
my workout routine:
5 days a week
After every set i lower the weight 10 pounds starting at the max I can do 8- 10 reps
Sunday
bench 3x10
shoulder press 3x10
pull ups 3x10
dips 3x10
elevated push up 3x10
push ups 3x10
miltary press 3x10
lat pulls 3x10
low rows 3x10
shurgs 3x10
curls 3x10
rows 3x10
and 2 more exercise i just kind of saw others doing dont no names they work on upper back
Then abs
Crunches 20
Crunches twisting one side then other ea rep 20
6 inches 1 min
Plank 1 min
leg lift
hanging leg rasies
6 inches siccors
monday; elliptical 4.5 miles at lvl 13 more 20 mins then down to 8 for 10 mins.
or jog 4 miles.
tue: 260 pushups
20 reps ea set
and 100 pull ups 10 ea set i alternate between to 20 push 10 pull repeat and then abs same as above
wed: run again as Monday
thru:same workout as monday w/o abs
fri; off
sat:eek:ff
repeat
i do this sometimes on smith sometimes free weights
i started drinking creatine month and 7 days ago
my eating habits are very clean the food my mother cooks alots of vegetables, meat, i eat cereal very morning with a soy protein shake

if u have have advice it would be greatly appreciated
if u need any more info I will have up

ty again for your time.
sry for bad English and spelling.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
I'm sorry but this routine is terrible. It has wayyyy too much stuff going on for your lifting days and no sort of logical progression.

You should probably be following something like Starting Strength, maybe wendler's 5/3/1 but I doubt you have exhausted linear progression because you do too much stuff on your lifting days.

Look here and follow one of those routines, and don't go adding in a whole bunch of extra stuff to it. Follow it the way it's layed out(you should be trying to add ~5 lbs to the main upper body lifts each training session, and 10 lbs to the main lower body lifts). Once you stall out on one of those programs I would suggest Wendler 5/3/1.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
you can't do this workout to full capacity doing the exact same routine on wednesday and thursday. where's the recovery time in between hitting the same muscle groups?

also, how the heck are you going to grow without any leg exercises, and omitting the other mass building lifts? no deadlifts, no upright rows, etc. i think your workout is a classic newbie approach - you've got the ego lift (bench), then some random upper body workouts. there's no weighted dips (just regular), and no weighted chins. when was the last time you increased the weight on these two exercises?

just food for thought brotha. i wish you the best, but you'll never achieve your goals without taking a hard look at your training.

tots

Awards
sun thats why im here i do agree i am a noob and am earger to learn.this is how my coaches worked us out and i just followed it i now realize it for its faults and wanne do better

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
you could try a push/pull routine, which follows a guideline of :

push - tri's/chest/front and mid delts
pull - back/bi's/rear delts
legs - quads/hams/calves

or if your recovery is good (and i do this), you could do :
M - push
T - pull
W - legs
Th - push
F - pull
while doing compound lifts M-W and isolation on Th-F

or you could (given 5 years of lifting) try DC training, which is IMO the best for growth.
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/142908-dc-training-beginners.html

you could also do westside for skinny bastards : http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/60-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1.html

i would also include a link for 5x5 but i don't think that fits into your goals. i wish you luck in whichever you choose, and i guarantee you all of them are very well set up.

oh, and welcome to AM :)

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Do one of those routines suncloud posted.

I would recommend Westside for Skinny Bastards over all though.

tots

Awards
question how long should the rest time be between reps i usally do 15 30 secs

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
question how long should the rest time be between reps i usally do 15 30 secs
For DC take 10-12 deep breaths. It will help with recovery.

For regular training rest as long as you need to. 1-3 minutes is OK.

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
I wouldn't rest between reps, i would rest between sets

tots

Awards
for my goal to reach 10 percent body fat will upper and lower body lifting be enough or running should also be incorporated ? sry i meant sets in pervious post

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
for my goal to reach 10 percent body fat will upper and lower body lifting be enough or running should also be incorporated ? sry i meant sets in pervious post
Rest in between sets will vary, anywhere from 3-5 minutes for most people. You can do less but you might not be recovered fully for the next set so you need to keep that in mind. More than 5 minutes and the muscles will start to cool down.

You will probably want to incorporate some sort of conditioning to get to 10%. A large part will be diet but I would suggest some hill sprints a couple times a week. They will shed the fat and are great conditioning and will even help make you stronger/more explosive. Just pick out a hill. sprint to the top, jog down, sprint up again etc. How many times and how much rest will vary by the person and their conditioning level. Just ease into it, but make sure you have some sort of progression to it

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
if you want to add in running, HIIT is the easiest way to pull off fat loss, though diet plays a big role in this. i know you state you're eating clean, but there's more to it with regards to HIIT - the part they don't tell you..

HIIT works by elevating your growth hormone levels - sometimes doubling it. growth hormone (GH) is the bodies natural second best muscle builder, and the bodies best fat burner. GH levels can stay elevated for up to 24 hours (almost doubled from HIIT), but returns to normal levels when 10g or more of simple carbs are ingested. note : this does not apply to fruits (to my knowledge), or to slow digesting carbs (fact). beware the sugar content in milk - which is the downfall of quite a few clean eaters.

for HIIT to work, from the time you've done the workout till the next morning, you should be limiting your fast digesting carbs, and replacing them with whole grains, which also means subbing out potatoes for yams, etc. many find the easiest way to do this is to do HIIT after dinner, and just take in a protein shake after this, then going to bed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

tots

Awards
ty for all this info
for HIIT how long of a workout should it be i reading 15 mins long 30 sec spirnt 30 sec jog this right ?

tots

Awards
so i beening reading and came up with a schedule i would like to folo tell me if u dont agree with something. I got this from westside.

Monday: Upper Body Max Effort
A. Bench Press Variant 3-5RM
B. Horizontal Row 4 X 5-10
C. Supplemental press 3-4 X 6-10
D. Upper back variant 2-3 X 12-15
E. Weighted Abdominal work 3-4 X 8-15

Tuesday: HIIT

Wednesday: Lower Body Max Effort
A. Deadlift Variant 3-5RM
B. Squat Variant 3 X 8
C. Weighted Hypers 3 X 8
D. Ghetto GHRs 2 X 8

Thursday: Upper Body Repetition Effort
A. Repetition Effort Bench Variant
B. Vertical Pull Variant 4 X 8-12
C. Medial Delt or Trap Variant 3 X 10-15
D. Triceps Supplemental Variant 3-4 X 5-10
E. Curl Variant 3 X 8-10
F. Abdominal circuit training

Sunday: HIIT

Monday: Lower Body Max Effort
A. Squat Variant 3-5RM
B. Pull Variant 3 X 8
C. Weighted Hypers 3 X 8
D. Ghetto GHRs 2 X 8

also how many times a week should the abs be over out without over stress with best results.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
looks a whole lot better :)

with regards to abs, they can be done daily, every other day, or not at all. abs will be pushed doing core lifts like the squat and deadlift, so they only need training if you want them to have extra training. most of the pro's don't bother training their abs directly.

just remember to push yourself. those 2.5 pound plates will only add a total of 5 pounds to your lift, so every week or two try for a personal best. happy hunting those PR's.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
It looks much better but I wouldn't advise using it at your level, it can be hard to do properly. I think you would benefit more from wendler's 5/3/1

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
not to knock the 5/3/1 setup, but i don't think mass is the goal of that system.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
not to knock the 5/3/1 setup, but i don't think mass is the goal of that system.
Neither is a Westside template, but both allow for hypertrophy. The assistance work in 5/3/1 should be geared towards building muscle and correcting imbalances. He should grow plenty of muscle following 5/3/1 combined with a good diet, with the upside of getting pretty damn strong.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
well, the 5/3/1 is geared for strength with the potential for growth

the westside setup is geared for growth with a potential for strength.

IMO at least.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
well, the 5/3/1 is geared for strength with the potential for growth

the westside setup is geared for growth with a potential for strength.

IMO at least.
Westside is all about strength, not getting bigger muscles. It was created to produce the greatest strength gains in the shortest time possible. Straight from the horses mouth: Louie Simmons - "We at Westside don't concern ourselves with muscle growth, but I will say this: the average guy who trains here gains about 40 pounds in two years!" source

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
40 pounds in 2 years is what the OP is after isn't it?

not knocking you or anything brotha, i just don't understand why you would suggest a 5/3/1 setup is better for mass than a westside approach.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
40 pounds in 2 years is what the OP is after isn't it?

not knocking you or anything brotha, i just don't understand why you would suggest a 5/3/1 setup is better for mass than a westside approach.
I'm not necessarily saying that it is better for mass. I just think Westside is a very advanced method and not a good choice unless you are training with someone who has trained a westside method in the past with success. 5/3/1 will produce similar gains in mass that a westside program would, but a true westside program will vary person to person because they all have different weaknesses therefor they don't train the same. 5/3/1 is very simple and easy to follow, the only way you can really mess it up is if you don't follow wendler's instructions.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
you say that like its easy to follow directions :)
Lol, well Wendler's instructions are pretty easy to follow. Such as use 90% of your actual max, not 100%. Follow the progression to the letter(or number I guess). On week 4 deload. Don't increase your max more than 10 lbs on lower body or more than 5 lbs on upper body at the end of each cycle. Don't go overboard on assistance work. Simple and very effective as long as you check your ego at the door.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Lol, well Wendler's instructions are pretty easy to follow. Such as use 90% of your actual max, not 100%. Follow the progression to the letter(or number I guess). On week 4 deload. Don't increase your max more than 10 lbs on lower body or more than 5 lbs on upper body at the end of each cycle. Don't go overboard on assistance work. Simple and very effective as long as you check your ego at the door.
Yeah if you read his book thoroughly then you will be able to understand his directions much better. His routine is awesome.

tots

Awards
so i did my first day on my new workout routine monday max upper body i pushed myself as much as posibble trying to set Prs every set i would add on more if i wasnt able to complete set i would take of 5 pounds and finish it. but i dont feel sore. could it be my precvious execerises messed me up from over doing ?

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
so i did my first day on my new workout routine monday max upper body i pushed myself as much as posibble trying to set Prs every set i would add on more if i wasnt able to complete set i would take of 5 pounds and finish it. but i dont feel sore. could it be my precvious execerises messed me up from over doing ?
Being sore does not mean you had a successful training session. Don't worry about whether or not you are getting sore, worry about getting stronger. I also take it you decided to go with a Westside type template? I think you would be much better off with 5/3/1.

tots

Awards
for HIIT to work, from the time you've done the workout till the next morning, you should be limiting your fast digesting carbs, and replacing them with whole grains, which also means subbing out potatoes for yams, etc. many find the easiest way to do this is to do HIIT after dinner, and just take in a protein shake after this, then going to bed.
I just did HIIT and i usally drink my creatine after my runs is that ok or i shouldn't cause it may mess with the GH thing?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
depends on the creatine. if it has sugar, i'd drink it preworkout, if your creatine doesn't have sugar, take it postworkout.

tots

Awards
i heard your suppose wait an hour fater you workout and an hour after to eat is that true ?

tots

Awards
been reading forums and ran across onion post.Im ever interested in this but i have question being 16 im already quite hariy wolverine u might say and as onion increase test by 300 percent would this lead to more hair growth ? i dont want to be a grizzly bear.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i heard your suppose wait an hour fater you workout and an hour after to eat is that true ?
i don't, but your results may be very different. some people i've heard get upset stomachs eating too close to working out.

been reading forums and ran across onion post.Im ever interested in this but i have question being 16 im already quite hariy wolverine u might say and as onion increase test by 300 percent would this lead to more hair growth ? i dont want to be a grizzly bear.
:dunno: probably. invest in using a hair trimmer using the number 3 guard to offset the damage :)

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Being sore does not mean you had a successful training session. Don't worry about whether or not you are getting sore, worry about getting stronger. I also take it you decided to go with a Westside type template? I think you would be much better off with 5/3/1.
You have great posts.