Terrible Chest

stevenbryant1

Awards
I've been working out on and off for the past couple of years a few months ago I got back into it and I got to my max bench press ever (225) this seems to be the weight I plateau at and I think its due to poor technique possibly grip? I think I use to much arm to get it up . . any suggestions? Two weeks ago I switched to doing dumbell exercises for chest . .I do weighted dips and closegrip bench on tri day . . . it just sucks I'm pushing up more on my dumbell military press then I am flat or incline bench . .

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Maybe your grip is too narrow during the exercise ?

Lou villian

Lou villian

Awards
  • Established
I was having BP issues i was stuck at 245lb forever. I started using the Squat area for my Bench Press. I would put up the Catch rails were when i laid down i was basically starting my press at my chest. Started at 185lb and went from there after about 4 weeks i got stronger exploding off my chest and the rest is history. Worked for me cant hurt to try

grigs

grigs

Awards
technique is the answer mate, my bench was same, till i learn how to bench, remember tchnique is the key, not weight, and if you bench in good technique believe me you will past your plateau.. when i started do not hook my thumbs around the bar , and slow controled negatives, i can bench 2-3reps more every 3-4 weeks..
strange, but if i hook my thumbs around the bar, i can't lift that heawy, and i do not feel my chest that pumped, and after few weeks my shoulders starts hurt.. oh yeah when i do flat bench i allways lower the bar to the very botom of my chest.
just my 2 cents

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
Hah, this sounds like me. Over the past few years I've rarely gone over 225, maybe done 235 or 245 every now and then, and for the most part only go up to like 185 or 205 during my flat bench workout. I'm always in a rush and want to get through all my exercises rather than try to determine what my max is, and I don't workout with a partner so it's hard to max out. Also been working on technique for the past couple times I've done bench, trying not to flare my elbows anymore so I'm hoping that helps me improve.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
technique is the answer mate, my bench was same, till i learn how to bench, remember tchnique is the key, not weight, and if you bench in good technique believe me you will past your plateau.. when i started do not hook my thumbs around the bar , and slow controled negatives, i can bench 2-3reps more every 3-4 weeks..
strange, but if i hook my thumbs around the bar, i can't lift that heawy, and i do not feel my chest that pumped, and after few weeks my shoulders starts hurt.. oh yeah when i do flat bench i allways lower the bar to the very botom of my chest.
just my 2 cents
^ This.

Read this: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/bench_press_600_pounds_a_12_step_program

And watch this: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3t6T-nqP0"]YouTube- Dave Tate's Six-Week Bench Press Cure[/ame]

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
pec flys will strengthen your pectorals alot ive found out, you use alot of stabilizer muscles durning flys. give it a try./

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
youp maybe i do not arch that much my back, but i do bench press same..
It keeps your core tighter and shortens the range of motion.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dave Tate knows his stuff about benching... But I wouldn't want to hang out with that dude.. haha

The way my chest is built, I've learned that I can get much better results doing DB presses because I can alter the ROM to suit my build. Now, I won't be winning any benching competitions, but it will make my chest look fuller before regular BB benches will.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I always like pushed my shoulders out when I benched. Is it any different doing an inclined bench?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I always like pushed my shoulders out when I benched. Is it any different doing an inclined bench?
Don't bench like that; it is dangerous.

This is what I wrote about it in another thread:

First of all, elbows out (like bodybuilders also recommend) is at a mechanically disadvantageous position.

The further the perpendicular distance between your elbow and the side of your body, the greater the resultant upward force must be at the shoulder joint due to mechanical moments. This alone places unnecessary stress on your rotator cuff.

Secondly, the shoulder is not spherically symmetrical - It is designed to rotate forward more easily than it can rotate backwards. The should joint is a "ball and socket joint", but it functions best in the plane of motion parallel to the side of your body.

Test this yourself. While standing, take your arms, bend your elbows 90 degrees. Bring your elbow in to your side. Pull your elbow back, as if performing a close-grip barbell row. You should be able to raise your upper arm behind you such that it is nearly parallel to the ground.

Now, put both your arms out in the position you would perform a wide grip, elbows out bench press - upper arms raised at 90 degrees to your torso, and parallel with the ground. Pull your arms back in this plane of motion as if you were lowering a barbell to your chest. Notice that your upper arms do not go as far back as they did with your elbows tucked by your sides - there is something hard in the way at the back of your shoulder. This is your rotator cuff coming into contact with the acronym, which is the rear roof-like part of your scapula.

When you bench press in this way, your shoulder is not free to rotate backwards thoroughly. Tension is shifted off the muscles and onto the acronym and weak rotator cuff.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I don't have J cuffs like he does though, so I don't know how much hat will hurt me. They are at an angle. I post pics up in afew minutes to let you know what I'm talking about.

codywaters

codywaters

Awards
Dave Tate knows his stuff about benching... But I wouldn't want to hang out with that dude.. haha
Just FYI, you can be sure he wouldn’t hang with you either...

There seems to be a lot of people giving advice here that may not be so qualified to do such. The post of Dave Tates video is the most productive post here so far.

I need to know a few things before I can help you...that is if you want the help of someone who can actually push some respectable weight.
1) Where is your sticking point? There is no reason you should push more on dumbbells then flat BB.

2) I suspect your sticking point is somewhere between 4" off your chest to lock out which makes me ask... how much heavy triceps work are you doing? Two of my favorites are weighted dips and close grip floor press

3)are you feeding your body enough? look man, you state to be 200lbs... that means for you a respectable bench is 315...I would hope your getting 400g protein 600-700g carbs and an over all of 4500 cals min

4) how much rest are you getting... there was this 18 yr old kid in my gym that was doing bench EOD... I asked him what the hell he was doing... and he had no answer. You need about 3-4 days min recovery, most need more then that(if not on AAS)

Help me help you....

Ironloo

quit bench for month do weighted dips, weighted ring dips, weighted ring pushups, for chest.

codywaters

codywaters

Awards
Jay Edit: Follow your own advice and keep your mouth shut if you can't just add to a discussion.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Seriously... you must be a crossfitter or some richard simmons wanna be....

How the **** is that going to help him increase his BB bench... THIS GUY IS TRYING TO GET STRONGER, NOT BE A HOMO GYMNAST.
Actually, his advice was pretty sensible. Hitting the chest at a different angle can sometimes increase motor unit activity in the muscle and the result is a greater display of strength. Incorporating weighted dips when appropriately will help a stalling bench press.

ATTENTION EVERYONE: If you aren’t benching at least in the 400's, don’t give advice on BB bench.. that’s like me trying to give advice on how to please your male lover.. I know nothing about gay sex, so why the hell would I comment?
OK in this case Physicians that do not have heart disease should not treat heart disease? This logic is just stupid. You should never judge someones understanding of training by how much they can bench press. There are a lot of genetic freaks with high bench presses giving terrible advice.

In this logic, no one should listen to Mark Rippetoe, since his best bench was only 385. Your bench does not show your knowledge. Too many factors come into play: injuries, consistency, diseases, genetics, etc. etc.

Here is a great piece of advice an old man told me... NEVER PASS THE OPPERTUNITY TO KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT...
Please take his advice.

I would tell you to take time off from BB bench and get your tri's stronger, but only if I am correct on your sticking point. I am still waiting on more info on your issues before I can go any further.
If his triceps are his sticking point then incorporating dips is helpful, which is what the guy you quoted said. I am not sure your logic on this.

I also need a complete description of your form, including how you set up. give me every little detail please so I can give you productive advice.. And stay away from those crossfitters.. They strive to be average at everything and excellent at nothing...
I agree with part of this. I agree with giving more description and form, but what is wrong with crossfit? Rippetoe associates with crossfit and he is one of the best strength coaches in the world.

Ironloo

i agree with kingkong i also disagree with codywaters post about me being some crossfitter or richard simmons wanna be i am actually far from that i lift heavy deads and squats till i cant breathe then continue but to further progress i differ from the norm to trick what my body already knows thats why i gave him this advice. Also to judge someone you dont even know shows your insecurities. I am on this site to help people and to receive help from others to expand my knowledge, also codywaters if your so tough which you seem to pose so heavily i challenge you to complete one of my workouts when you are in tears and cant complete the task you will know what a so called crossfitter trains like if you complete it then your words may have value i will post it in the traing forums asap i do this workout once a month anyone here can try it also goodluck.

Arrogant

Arrogant

Awards
Seriously... you must be a crossfitter or some richard simmons wanna be....

How the **** is that going to help him increase his BB bench... THIS GUY IS TRYING TO GET STRONGER, NOT BE A HOMO GYMNAST.

ATTENTION EVERYONE: If you aren’t benching at least in the 400's, don’t give advice on BB bench.. that’s like me trying to give advice on how to please your male lover.. I know nothing about gay sex, so why the hell would I comment?

Here is a great piece of advice an old man told me... NEVER PASS THE OPPERTUNITY TO KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT...

Now.. back to business...
I would tell you to take time off from BB bench and get your tri's stronger, but only if I am correct on your sticking point. I am still waiting on more info on your issues before I can go any further.

I also need a complete description of your form, including how you set up. give me every little detail please so I can give you productive advice.. And stay away from those crossfitters.. They strive to be average at everything and excellent at nothing...
Wow. After suffering through that post I had to ensure the URL was anabolicminds and not bb.com.

codywaters

codywaters

Awards
Wow, It looks like I hurt a lot of your feelings judging by the PM's I have received. I thought I was being funny and giving solid advice at the same time.

Steven: you can listen to whomever you like. It makes more sense to me to listen to those who have a solid foundation and proven results in refrence to your goals. A power lifter should not look to a crossfiter, P-90xer, or even bodybuilder for advice on applying the concepts of power lifting. They are all diffrent and have their place but rarely are they cross applicable. (somewhere)

It took me a long time stuck at 315 before I realized this. then in less then a year I went from 315 to 405, and am now at 455. (I will be at 500 by June) I used solid powerlifting techniques to do this. Dave Tate is really who you need to pay attention to if you are interested in getting extreamly strong. His attitude is A LOT like mine as he has no problem telling people to get fked.

Anyway, it is good to get advice, but its better to know what advice is useless.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow, It looks like I hurt a lot of your feelings judging by the PM's I have received. I thought I was being funny and giving solid advice at the same time.

Steven: you can listen to whomever you like. It makes more sense to me to listen to those who have a solid foundation and proven results in refrence to your goals. A power lifter should not look to a crossfiter, P-90xer, or even bodybuilder for advice on applying the concepts of power lifting. They are all diffrent and have their place but rarely are they cross applicable. (somewhere)

It took me a long time stuck at 315 before I realized this. then in less then a year I went from 315 to 405, and am now at 455. (I will be at 500 by June) I used solid powerlifting techniques to do this. Dave Tate is really who you need to pay attention to if you are interested in getting extreamly strong. His attitude is A LOT like mine as he has no problem telling people to get fked.

Anyway, it is good to get advice, but its better to know what advice is useless.
Being obnoxious and arrogant helps how? Please try to conduct yourself politely and respectfully in the future. You and Dave are more than welcome to behave that way somewhere else...not here please.

Thanks!