Total N00b, trying to start.

tortuga

Awards
Hi everyone, I'm rather new to this whole scene but I've been lurking on the forums and reading/researching as much as I can. I've always been iffy about taking any supplements..holding on the belief that if I take protein I will end up getting big which is not what I want. Tell me if I'm wrong.

I'm trying to lose the fat while maintaining the muscle but I'm not trying to gain more weight.
I'm 25 years old, weigh 198lbs, 5'7''..and my goal is 170lbs.

My normal week looks like this..

Monday - Chest, biceps, and Abs (4 sets of about 15 reps each at a weight that is not overly heavy) and Cardio.
Tuesday - Upper back, lower back, and shoulders. (4 sets of 15 reps) and Cardio
Wednesday - Legs and Cardio
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Rest
Saturday - A little of everything and Cardio.
Sunday - Rest
Monday - Begin again..

Where Cardio is 20 minutes on Elliptical and 25 minutes on Treadmill. (treadmill exercises are 3 min warmup followed by 1 min at speed 7 to get my heart rate to around 185..then 2 minutes of speed3.5t to get it down to 140..and then again to 180..repeat..

I've started having breakfast (oatmeal or cereal) and healthier lunches (subway etc). I do not take any supplements but have been researching.

Any help/suggestions? Am I doing everything wrong?

Thanks!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
if you loose weight without enough protein in your diet, you will loose muscle first.

IMO, your cardio looks like a variation of HIIT, and i suggest you read up on it, as it is the easiest way to slough fat off your frame.

combine this with limiting your fast digesting carbs, and replacing those with slow digesting ones, and you're golden.

tortuga

Awards
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I will read up on HIIT and look into Whey protein. Thank you!

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Your weightlifting is too close to being cardio IMO. Your weight training should be with heavy sets. I think it's best to do an upper/lower split, or a full body workout. It should center around big compound lifts, such as the deadlift, squat, and bench press. I like something very similar to the Starting Strength program, which can be found here: Starting Strength

I would choose one of the routines in there and don't go adding in extra lifts, it doesn't include them because at the beginner level you just need to build a base of strength. You should generally be aiming to add 5 lbs to the upper body lifts(bench press, overhead press) each workout, or at least each week and 10 to the lower body(squat and deadlift). Do these lifts with a freeweight barbell, not inside a smith machine.

You can do the cardio stuff after lifting or on days off from lifting. Just make sure you do like a 5 minute warm-up before lifting(like jogging on the treadmill) and a few warm-up sets of the lift you are performing(So if you planned to do 3 sets of 5 for squat at 150 lbs, do a set of 12 with 45lbs(the bar) a set of 6 with 95 lbs, and then a set of 3 with 135 lbs. Or something to that effect).

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you're totally new to the game, I'd recommend finding a simple workout plan that's already out there to get you started. Once you gain personal experience and knowledge, you can start altering your training methods.

I've tried quite a few different workout routines that all focus on doing things in different ways. After a few years of this, I've learned what my body responds to best. Now I plan my routine around what I know works best for me. So how I workout is a combination of what I've learned.

There are plenty of workout regimines out there that would work for you. The biggest thing you'll want to learn right now is proper dieting. If you understand the fundamentals of dieting for whatever your training goals are, you'll be MUCH more likely to see progression and development. There are a LOT of training routines that will work if you diet right. Also make sure you're executing your exercises with strict technique and proper form. If you start practicing with poor form now, it'll be harder to unlearn it in the future.

Search the forums, use the search button, read articles, learn everything you can. Knowledge is power, believe it or not! ;)

Good luck, bro.

PM me if ya need anything. I love to help if I can.

tortuga

Awards
Thanks guys, I guess I should get my diet set first. Someone told me lossing weight is 90% eating. (right)

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys, I guess I should get my diet set first. Someone told me lossing weight is 90% eating. (right)
Diet is a huge part of it but it will only get you so far. Same with exercise only. You really need both.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Listen to the others: HIIT.