SHOULDER BUILDING ROUTINES

RcMonahan

RcMonahan

Awards
Been doing alot of high rep sets in this area lately. Any suggested routines or lifts you guys wanna throw at me for a little bulk would be awesome! I'm open to anything!

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
umm heres a couple of mass builders

Military Presses
Dumbbell Presses
Arnold Presses
Behind the Neck Presses (Careful with these though)
oh and forgot about upright Rows

I have heard several people say stay away from the behind the necks, but i like them.. i just dont go all the way down with them, stop around the top of my head and i have not had any problems, but im sure others will tell you differently..

RcMonahan

RcMonahan

Awards
Arnold presses and Military press are my favorites.
Yeah i have heard the exact same thing about the behind the head presses. I switch it up every not and then but mostly like to keep them in front. Anything in particular that would really hit the rear delt that you know of?

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
just the bent over lateral raises, but behind neck presses and arnolds target them pretty well.

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
no problem man, im sure there are more.. someone else on here could probably tell you more info on it..

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Work your whole body up with compounds. Don't split your body up in muscle groups.

Get your press up to your bodyweight. That will develop your shoulders.

RcMonahan

RcMonahan

Awards
alright man. Is there a routine or set of lifts that you would suggest to really increase my weight on military press?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
alright man. Is there a routine or set of lifts that you would suggest to really increase my weight on military press?
Not "Military" Press.

People often confuse the movement itself. "Military" Press refers to performing an overhead press with the heels close together like a soldier.

"Pressing" is all I'm referring to with your chosen width of stance.

The best way to increase your press is by adding 5 lbs to it as frequently as possible. The best way to increase an exercise is by performing that exercise. At this point, there is no need to usage of accessory movements; you'll respond better from just working the movement alone.

Focus on strengthening your core and rotator cuff for the time being. If you get your press up to where it needs to be, I promise you your shoulders will be fully developed.

RcMonahan

RcMonahan

Awards
Not "Military" Press.

People often confuse the movement itself. "Military" Press refers to performing an overhead press with the heels close together like a soldier.

"Pressing" is all I'm referring to with your chosen width of stance.

The best way to increase your press is by adding 5 lbs to it as frequently as possible. The best way to increase an exercise is by performing that exercise. At this point, there is no need to usage of accessory movements; you'll respond better from just working the movement alone.

Focus on strengthening your core and rotator cuff for the time being. If you get your press up to where it needs to be, I promise you your shoulders will be fully developed.
Wow, that makes perfect sense. Thanks man!

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I get response out of my shoulders from mainly sticking with heavy compound lifts: presses, upright rows, ect.. The only isolation work I do is side and rear laterals.

But for maximum mass and strength, stick with heavy presses. Just make sure to warm up properly and to focus on your form.

RcMonahan

RcMonahan

Awards
I get response out of my shoulders from mainly sticking with heavy compound lifts: presses, upright rows, ect.. The only isolation work I do is side and rear laterals.

But for maximum mass and strength, stick with heavy presses. Just make sure to warm up properly and to focus on your form.
yeah i normally go a little more on the heavy side with lower reps on the presses. and those are the only isolation lifts i do as well. I never do upright rows but i could give them a shot. Thanks for the help man.

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
ive heard that if you dont train your legs as hard as your upper body you might limit your upper bodies size potential, anybody hear of this?

also not only legs but your heart as well.

you get the best results for training EVERYTHING at the same intensity. except maybe cardio because that can slim ya down.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Wide-Grip upright rows, have been very good to me.

H

hog928

Awards
  • Established
Get strength up just go for that next weight up and get a spotter and push up as many as you can. Start doing your regular weights with Military Presses then for your final one get a spotter and after a few weeks you will go from doing it 6x to 10x then go up again. Spotters are the best thing you can do for militaries.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Don't do upright rows. I cannot tell you the amount of studies that have proven them to be dangerous to the shoulder. I know of quite a few experienced lifters that still cannot bench press heavy because of a torn rotator cuff from the impingement from upright rows.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Don't do upright rows. I cannot tell you the amount of studies that have proven them to be dangerous to the shoulder. I know of quite a few experienced lifters that still cannot bench press heavy because of a torn rotator cuff from the impingement from upright rows.
That's why you don't do close-grip.

RcMonahan

RcMonahan

Awards
ive heard that if you dont train your legs as hard as your upper body you might limit your upper bodies size potential, anybody hear of this?

also not only legs but your heart as well.

you get the best results for training EVERYTHING at the same intensity. except maybe cardio because that can slim ya down.
idk man, im also a track and cross country athelete as well. I for sure dont train my legs as hard as i should in the weight room, but once i hit the track, i dont stop.

My legs are very unproportional to my body from the cardio, but what your saying sounds very possible. maybe just for everybody. different genetics.

RcMonahan

RcMonahan

Awards
Get strength up just go for that next weight up and get a spotter and push up as many as you can. Start doing your regular weights with Military Presses then for your final one get a spotter and after a few weeks you will go from doing it 6x to 10x then go up again. Spotters are the best thing you can do for militaries.
Thanks man! you mean sorta like a progressive overload kinda thing? Do as many reps as you can with a heavier weight and when you cant do anymore get your spotter to help you through a couple more reps?

RcMonahan

RcMonahan

Awards
you think they might have been pulling them too high and causing the shoulder to tear?

And i noticed you were from TN man and a graduate from UT. I live a little outside of knoville. lol

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
That's why you don't do close-grip.
It has nothing to do with grip variation. The movement is dangerous regardless; it is unnatural. Those things will kill your rotator cuff.

RcMonahan

RcMonahan

Awards
That was a pretty good article. I think im gonna give that one a shot. Part of my workout consists of something very similar to that.

Superset:
Arnold Press 3 x 8-12 reps
Front Raises 3 x 12-15
Lateral Raises 3 x 12-15

I would normally start this superset right after a heavy set of seated barbell presses. I have been performing this workout for a while though and i think im starting to adapt to it a bit.

B

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Heavy Front Plate Raises.
heavy bench
face pulls/ rear delt raise
DB cleans

those work into a PL style training
Bodybuilding wise i did
8,6,4,2 rep scheme and did
shoulder press
arnold press
then supserset rear delt ad lateral raise movement.

RcMonahan

RcMonahan

Awards
Heavy Front Plate Raises.
heavy bench
face pulls/ rear delt raise
DB cleans

those work into a PL style training
Bodybuilding wise i did
8,6,4,2 rep scheme and did
shoulder press
arnold press
then supserset rear delt ad lateral raise movement.
Thx man, appreciate the input. That last set of workouts seems to be very popular. It worked very well for me until i had to start switching my lifts up.