Barbell Lunges.....

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Barbell Lunges.....

I have been working out solid for the past three years. It was not until about 3-4 months ago I incorporated dumbbell lunges with my leg routine. Dumbbell lunges gave my legs more definition, balance and stength.

Today I tried barbell lunges for the first time and all I can say is wow. I have never had to work so hard and sweat so much.

95 x10
    115 x10
    135 x 10
    165 x10

It was tuff to do because I only had so much room and can only lunge 3 reps at a time and I would have to step back and start over. I really wish I had more room and I can lunge across the gym.

Anyway, the point of this thread was to just get feedback and other's opinion on the barbell lunge vs. the dumbbell lunge. And, how much weight is to much weight for barbell lunges? Also I did the right leg as one set and left leg as one set. Not together.

Thanks

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Try some reverse lunges from a defecit Also, as long as you can use with weight with proper form there is no such thing as too much weight.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Answers

you are able to go heavier with BB lunges. my grip gives out first on DB once i get above 70lbs. and like was stated, there are many variations. there was a good t-nation article on lunges recently.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by urbanski View Post
    you are able to go heavier with BB lunges. my grip gives out first on DB once i get above 70lbs. and like was stated, there are many variations. there was a good t-nation article on lunges recently.
    I'll have to check T-Nation out. Have not been on there for quite some time.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Answers

i try to keep squats as my only leg movement taht will tax my back and i did lunges in this machine where u put the pad against the back of ur leg put ur other foot on the leg and slide back HOLYHELL! it burned for days painful pump... and i hate machines but for this i love it
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Answers

I did lunges on tuesday and I am still sore. It has been at least one year since I have been this sore.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Answers

Once you do barbell lunges you become aware of how much muscle you have to use to stay balanced and move the weight through that range of motion. That's why I think lunges are among the most useful leg exercises, along with Squats, Front Squats, Leg Presses, Hack Squats, Leg Curls and Stiff-Leg Deadlifts... Among others, of course.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

When I first started I did them all the time my first couple years. Barbell lunges

They fry every thing lower body like none other.
    want a sore ass(pardon the language) do lunges.(want a big ass ass to grass heavy squats type movements)

Now a days I'll do them pre contest as some people say they make the hams and quads the most separated one can not get though any other exercise. do not know if it is true.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    When I first started I did them all the time my first couple years. Barbell lunges

That fry every thing lower body like none other.
    want a sore ass(pardon the language) do lunges.

Now a days I'll do them pre contest as some people say they make the hams and quads the most separated one can not get though any other exercise. do not know if it is true.
    I believe it. My legs have not looked better until I started doing lunges. Yes, it fried my quads, hams and glutes.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyIOSOS View Post
    I believe it. My legs have not looked better until I started doing lunges. Yes, it fried my quads, hams and glutes.
    nice. They are a challenge that is for sure and really get the locomotive breathing huffing and sweat pouring like a freight train.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    nice. They are a challenge that is for sure and really get the locomotive breathing huffing and sweat pouring like a freight train.
    This is true. I would love to do these in an area with more room. Keep the momentum going.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADggWcmtutE"]YouTube- Ronnie Coleman lunges spoof[/ame]
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Lunges
    By freefall365 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-06-2010, 10:08 PM
  2. Christmas lunges!
    By rab71 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 08:18 PM
  3. Lunges...
    By MentalTwitch in forum Training Forum