rest-pause with 5/3/1

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
anybody given this a try? adding rest-pause techniques to the working set with wendler's 5/3/1, keeping asistance work pretty much the same.

for example

Military press working set:
155*5, rest 20 sec. 155*3, rest 20 sec. 155*1

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
Haven't done that but dc training uses rest pause and I've been doing that. Great workouts, very intense.

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
yeah im gonna give it a try my next cycle, and see how it goes

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't, I would just follow it the way he has it laid out.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
wendler does not say to do that.
stick with the program.
he says rest 3-5 mins as needed between sets on the core lifts. you can be a bit more liberal on assistance lifts if you see the need.

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
clusters and rest-pause methods have been very effective to me in the past; I know how i react/recover to these methods, so implementing this kind of training is not new to me.

If i start to feel burnt out(which i really doubt), i'll lower the volume of the assistance work. Doubt that i'll have to do this since im deloading every fourth week.

Don't get me wrong wendler's 5/3/1, has given me great gains the past year and a half. The reason why this program has worked well for me is not the percentages or the rep scheme; it's the flexibility that it offers. I've gotten a better idea of what works for me, and what doesnt work for me (ex. more assistance work for my shoulders and less direct assistance work to my chest, etc.)

wendler's 5/3/1 has taught me that training is a lot like a science experiment. You manipulate one variable, but you keep everything else in control. From there if it works, use it, if it doesn't don't bother with it and move on.

That's exactly what i plan on doing, manipulating one variable (intensity of working set), keep everything else in control (assistance work & core lifts.)

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
clusters and rest-pause methods have been very effective to me in the past; I know how i react/recover to these methods, so implementing this kind of training is not new to me.

If i start to feel burnt out(which i really doubt), i'll lower the volume of the assistance work. Doubt that i'll have to do this since im deloading every fourth week.

Don't get me wrong wendler's 5/3/1, has given me great gains the past year and a half. The reason why this program has worked well for me is not the percentages or the rep scheme; it's the flexibility that it offers. I've gotten a better idea of what works for me, and what doesnt work for me (ex. more assistance work for my shoulders and less direct assistance work to my chest, etc.)

wendler's 5/3/1 has taught me that training is a lot like a science experiment. You manipulate one variable, but you keep everything else in control. From there if it works, use it, if it doesn't don't bother with it and move on.

That's exactly what i plan on doing, manipulating one variable (intensity of working set), keep everything else in control (assistance work & core lifts.)
Makes more sense now. I am curious though, have you stopped seeing results by following it the way he has it laid out?

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
nope, gains have been steady for the most part, some cycles more effective than others. Some months nothing happens, but than others i have great gains.

My best gains came from these modifications:

Hitting shoulders with high volume (4 to 5 sets of 10 reps) on bench day with floor press moderate grip with elbows tucked, emphasizing the pause on the floor (hold for 1-2 secs)

Than on military press day: 3 sets of giant-sets for shoulders (lateral raise to front raise to db shoulder press)

For Deads and Squats(focused on front squat) - big but boring has worked best for me, 5*10 on deads and front squats after the working set, heavy side bends and hanging leg lifts have really helped my front squat numbers too.

OnTheRoadTo

Awards
  • Established
RP sets have always been more effective to me at the higher rep ranges - 8->3->2 or better.

If you're itching to try something different, I would recommend going whole hog and doing the DC program. Observe the carb cutoffs and cardio suggestions, as it is low volume. I find it is very effective as a tick/tock counterpart to 5/3/1.

It will change all your variables at once though, so that's not good science :)

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
Yeah DC training would be a nice form of mirror training, to 5/3/1

Think Polquin once said, "The program your currently not doing is the best program for you,"