Dam Lats

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. New Member
    hog928's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    306
    Rep Power
    222
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    4.1%

    Dam Lats


    So i have been building them up but they are no where near what i want and i was hoping someone has a good work out they do for lats. Thanks a lot guys

  2. New Member
    Bigblondekid's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    52
    Rep Power
    92
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    57.02%

    I like heavy dumbell pullovers across a flat bench, make sure you stretch as far as you can though, it'll wear your lats out like you wouldn't believe. Hope that helps some.
  3. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1093
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    86.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    heavy deads
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    wedlund6's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  264 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    43
    Posts
    583
    Rep Power
    354
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    49.73%

    Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    heavy deads
    i 2nd
  5. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    17.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Lat pull downs in a pyramid fasion, all the way to your 5 rep max, then drop set back down to where you started. My lats blew up!!
  6. New Member
    hog928's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    306
    Rep Power
    222
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    4.1%

    thanks guys iv been trying to get them bigger cause i think them and traps look diesel when huge
  7. Advanced Member
    Ricky5145's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    733
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    21.66%

    swtich to reverse grip on things like rows and pulldowns. this will widen your lats more. i added five inches in a matter of a few months after i made the switch. also throw in old school t-bar rows.

    think of this close grip rows and pulldowns hit your outer lats thus make you wider. wide grip frows and pulldowns hit your inner back making you thicker.deads and half deads work great. if your looking for thickness do, wide grip half deads.

    ** most important, dont do too many exercises when trying to build a big back, pick three to four at most and stick with those for awhile.

    this is what i would suggest

    reverse grip/close crip pulldowns: 1-2 sets, 6-8 reps
    reverse grip/wide grip bent BB rows: 1 set, 6-8 reps
    Old school t-bar: set, 6-8 reps
    *deads/or half deads: 1 set, 6-8 reps
    * do 2-3 warm up sets before your actual set. dont do enough to make you tired though, just warm up the muscle.


    any more than that and your gonna overtrain your back and limit how much youll grow. you could do 3-4 sets but then your gonna pass your bodies primed anabolic state and go straight into a catoblic state where your body is trying to recover from the damage you did to it, not grow. recovery and growth are two different things. besides if you go heavy enough and hard enough, you wont be bale to do another set.


    thats just my advice however, do what you will and hoped this helped
  8. Senior Member
    lonewolf0420's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,314
    Rep Power
    1681
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    65.26%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    But only 5 working sets for a muscle group that large?
  9. New Member
    b9cist's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    131
    Rep Power
    128
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    6.28%

    Agree with deal lifts...or rack pulls if you have a hard time pulling the weight off the floor. My back and traps have grown a lot faster doing these than when I was just doing pulldowns and rows...
  10. Advanced Member
    Type O Hero's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    923
    Rep Power
    90578
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    74.96%

    Good back workout:

    Pull-ups x 50 reps (however many sets it takes) sometimes do them weighted
    ** Most people do pull-ups wrong. Start with a grip that when you're at the top, your forearms are perpendicular to the ground or slightly wider. I usually go as wide as I can and still be practicable. All the way up, then all the way down to a full stretch. Your set should end when you're obviously not able to go all the way up. I usually allow for a little leeway here, but not much. After each set, grab hold of something stationary and really stretch out each side so that you can feel it all the way down to your waist. I mostly do pull-ups to the front, but sometimes I'll switch out for pull-ups to the back or close-grip pull-ups using a V-bar. I used to be able to do 20-25 pull-ups at a time but now I know I was half assing them. After making sure to really concentrate on form and technique, my lats have responded tremendously. I can flair them out more than I used to be able to.

    All kinds of rows!!! My favorite at the moment are bent-over underhand barbell rows. I bend over to a 30-40 degree angle and pull the bar straight up into my gut. Underhand rows will more heavily involve the biceps than overhand rows, but you're still really giving the lats a good workout. Just make sure to warmup your biceps properly. Overhand rows are also a bread-and-butter back exercise. Just know that technique is SO important for back work. I see guys throwing around a lot of weight all the time, and they're generally strong guys, but even though my frame might be smaller, my back looks better. Also do some seated rows periodically with a grip that allows you to stress the middle back. T-bar rows are good too because you can use a lot of weight. Just go as heavy as possible while maintaining the best possible form. I usually do a 10-12, 8-10, 6-8, 4-6 rep scheme (that's 4 total sets after 1 lighter warmup rowing set). Occasionally, go really heavy on your rowing movements to keep your body guessing. As in, after a warmup set, do your first set with moderately light weight, such as something allowing you to do 8-10 sets, then crank up the weight so that you can only do 6, 4, and 2-3, or something like that. Use your personal lifting instincts for this. In my opinion, back is less forgiving on the genetic level than say, the chest, as far as creating good size, shape and definition. Or in other words, more people can craft a good back than can craft a good chest (in my opinion). Just keep the technique GOOD. If you load on weights and do a lot of cheating with your rows, you'll probably never have as good a back as you would if you did less weight with better technique.

    Deadlifts... Of course you should be throughly warmed up and know the proper lifting technique, but this is an exercise where you should really take advantage of being able to use a lot of weight. I'll usually do some warmups, then a realatively light set of 8-10 or so reps, then go really heavy for a couple sets, as in 4-6 then 2-3, or maybe even 1-2 rep sets. I prefer deads at the end of a back workout. By then, the CNS is usually really warmed up. Opinions will vary on this, but that's mine. I lift for bodybuilding, so I use deads as a means to an end rather than just seeing how much weight I can pick up.

    So if you do back only on a given day, this is a workout that's really worked well for me:
    Pull-ups x 50 reps (however many sets, don't take long rest periods, stretch after each set)
    Bent-over Underhand BB Rows (1 light warmup x 12) 4 x 10-12, 8-10, 6-8, 4-6
    Deadlifts (1 light warmup x 12) 3 x 8-10, 4-6, 1-3 ("heavy" is the key word here)

    You can do exercises in whatever order you want, and switch out exercises. I just like the idea of a exercise that works the pulldown motion (pull-ups, lat pulldowns, ect.), an exercise that works the rowing motion and then deads are pretty obvious if you want maximum size and strength gains.

    Also, adding some biceps-specific exercises to the end of a back workout is a great idea because your biceps will already be really warmed up. Of course go ahead and do 1 warmup set for biceps anyway, just because you don't really work the biceps through their complete range of motion on any back exercise, then do 3-4 sets. Any more than that can be counter productive since you've already pounded those relatively small muscles during your back workout. If you choose to do deads, maybe do even less, such as 2-3 total sets. Something I like for biceps-specific work is to do multiple exercises, rather than just 3-4 sets for 1 exercise. I may do some heavy barbell curls, then some incline DB curls, then lying DB curls, then finish up with some preacher curls or concentration curls. But the underhand BB rows have really gotten my biceps responding. Make sure to stretch them out well after your workout.

    Oh, and something I really like to do after a back workout is just hang from a pull-up bar for as long as I can. Take a really wide grip and just hang there, feeling your lats stretch. You can pull your knees up to your chest and tilt your chin down to give them a greater stretch. Also stretches out the whole torso, especially the chest.

    Cheers!
  11. New Member
    rckvl7's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    387
    Rep Power
    258
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    15.14%

    Pull-ups/chin-ups are far superior to lat pull-downs.

    Basically what type o hero said. Pull-ups/chin-ups, rows, and deadlifts.
  12. Advanced Member
    Ricky5145's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    733
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    21.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf0420 View Post
    But only 5 working sets for a muscle group that large?
    yes, if your doing alot of weight for 6-8 reps, thats all you need. sure you could do 50 reps of pull ups followed by other exercises and youll grow but not to the full potential. thats the whole reasoning behind the 4 sets. its about hitting the muscle enough to make it grow at maximum potential but not to where its hit too hard to where your central nevrous/immune systems are trying to recover from too much exercise. yall can disagree with me in writting all you want but the results are undeniable. my rows went from 365 for 6 reps to 425 for 6 in 4 weeks. pulldowns went from 230 for 8 to 270-10, tbar went from 6 plates to 8 and a 25 all in a 4 week time frame, technically not even 4 weeks, more like 3 weeks and 2 days. there has not been a week in the past 2 months where my squat hasnt gone up 20 lbs every 2 weeks.


    its not just me either, i am currently putting 4 guys at my college (all gym previous gym goers) through my method, all with very very simialr gains in the past four months, one guy imparticualr went from becnhing 185-8 to 225-8 in the 4 weeks. sounds rediculous, but its about OPTIMAL muscle growth with no room for overtraining.
    i only do 4 working sets for my back and thats what everyone at my college who doesnt know my name calls me by, "the big dude with the huge back"

    dont get me wrong, more sets is ok, i trained that way for years, but ill never go back, even when i cut up ill only go up to 2 sets.
  13. Advanced Member
    Ricky5145's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    733
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    21.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by rckvl7 View Post
    Pull-ups/chin-ups are far superior to lat pull-downs.

    Basically what type o hero said. Pull-ups/chin-ups, rows, and deadlifts.
    disagree, there fine, but by no means "far superior". there a good warm-up exercise
  14. New Member
    rckvl7's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    387
    Rep Power
    258
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    15.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky5145 View Post
    disagree, there fine, but by no means "far superior". there a good warm-up exercise
    Here is an article explaining why chin-ups are superior to lat pull downs
    http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a..._back_training
  15. Advanced Member
    Ricky5145's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    733
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    21.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by rckvl7 View Post
    Here is an article explaining why chin-ups are superior to lat pull downs
    http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a..._back_training
    correction: there was an article of one mans OPINION why he thinks chin-ups are superior.

    it was an ok read but i dont care for the source of this material. a few weeks ago i read a b.s. article from that page written by a guy claiming soy lowers testosterone in men. yes its a myth and its been proven false. one of the only significant studies done recorded a decline in only one of the participants testosterone while on soy and he had just ended a cycle of anabolic steriods.


    also i have a few problems with the content of the page. he refers the the girl as "petite" and that they laughed at her but claims that chins are the "ulitmate mass builder". that makes no sense, if they where, then she'd have a big back or atleast something to where the men wouldnt have laughed at her atempt. plus, he said she was a swimmer, swimmers have enormous back strength from stokes like fly and freestyle. her strength wasnt 100% attributed to executions of chin ups.

    also, consider the time frame, this was in 1982, its outdated.

    also, look at ronnie or yates, both had argueably the best backs in the game and neither did pull ups.

    also, he calls the smith machine "near usless", proving this guy is not a educated fitness professional

    also, charles poliquin (the author) is garbage.

    nice though, i love to debate lifts and what not,its fun, but you still havent proven that there far superior.... so i still firmly disagree
  16. New Member
    rckvl7's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    387
    Rep Power
    258
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    15.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky5145 View Post
    correction: there was an article of one mans OPINION why he thinks chin-ups are superior.

    it was an ok read but i dont care for the source of this material. a few weeks ago i read a b.s. article from that page written by a guy claiming soy lowers testosterone in men. yes its a myth and its been proven false. one of the only significant studies done recorded a decline in only one of the participants testosterone while on soy and he had just ended a cycle of anabolic steriods.


    also i have a few problems with the content of the page. he refers the the girl as "petite" and that they laughed at her but claims that chins are the "ulitmate mass builder". that makes no sense, if they where, then she'd have a big back or atleast something to where the men wouldnt have laughed at her atempt. plus, he said she was a swimmer, swimmers have enormous back strength from stokes like fly and freestyle. her strength wasnt 100% attributed to executions of chin ups.

    also, consider the time frame, this was in 1982, its outdated.

    also, look at ronnie or yates, both had argueably the best backs in the game and neither did pull ups.

    also, he calls the smith machine "near usless", proving this guy is not a educated fitness professional

    also, charles poliquin (the author) is garbage.

    nice though, i love to debate lifts and what not,its fun, but you still havent proven that there far superior.... so i still firmly disagree
    Yeah Charles Poliquin has no idea what he's talking about Show me your B.Sc. in Kinesiology and a M.Sc. in Exercise Physiology, and then train some olympic gold medalists and then maybe I'll take your opinion over his.

    Also, Smith machines are pretty useless, the fact that you think they aren't shows me where you are coming from. Not to mention the fact that Smith machines take the stabilizing muscles out of the equation, it forces an unnatural bar path, which is just begging for injury. Smith machines hardly have any carryover to a real bench press, while a bench press has great carry over to a smith machine bench press.

    I'm not saying Lat pull downs can't build a big back, just that chin-ups are much better at it, and have the added benefit of developing useful strength.
  17. Advanced Member
    Ricky5145's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    733
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    21.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by rckvl7 View Post
    Yeah Charles Poliquin has no idea what he's talking about

    Also, Smith machines are pretty useless, the fact that you think they aren't shows me where you are coming from. Not to mention the fact that Smith machines take the stabilizing muscles out of the equation, it forces an unnatural bar path, which is just begging for injury. Smith machines hardly have any carryover to a real bench press, while a bench press has great carry over to a smith machine bench press.

    I'm not saying Lat pull downs can't build a big back, just that chin-ups are much better at it, and have the added benefit of developing useful strength.
    wow hot shot, i guess you really know everything. i mean theres no argueing anything you just said. your so right, wait a minute im just kidding.


    i bet you didnt even know who charles poliquin was until i mentioned his name, you just knew of his article that you found on the web. and its the only peice of evidence to your arguement. an outdated article from an unreliable web page.

    compared to and pro or amateuar charles is a shrimp, so if i had ronnie or yates saying pulldowns are better,and then i had this weisel in the other corner tell me "these chins are the ulitmate mass bulder" guess who id listen to? not you or charles.

    so first, if chins were the ulitmate mass builder then why dont all these frail bodies who do nothing but chins at home have big backs? or even half decently developed backs?? they dont so there not "far superior"

    second, if you think smith machines are useless than any post youve ever made should be deleted and you shouldnt be giving anyone advice. you should just quite right now. i use barbells but atleast i acknowledge the fact that smith machines arent usless. im not on an EGO trip where i exclude machines.

    third, if you dont like smith then get the hell of the leg press son, same damn thing. leg extentions or leg curls, same damn thing there undeniably useful

    fourth, you said nothing about my half of my points, so i guess you had no rebutle. and you cant say they werent good points because they destroyed yours. all you came back with was a half ass attack at me. which also failed by the way.

    again, outdated useless article from an unreliable source

    so again, you still havent proven your point, so i still firmly disagree, even more now then before considering youre the one argueing it.
  18. Advanced Member
    Type O Hero's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    923
    Rep Power
    90578
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    74.96%

    Pulldowns are a good exercise because they allow you to use less than body weight. Also, you can use a variety of grips. I like them best for warming up with and sometimes V-bar pulldowns.

    I wouldn't replace pull-ups with pulldowns, but I wouldn't exclude pulldowns from my routines all together.
  19. Advanced Member
    Ricky5145's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    733
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    21.66%

    plus your the same height as me but 60 lbs less. i dont do chins, ever...ever.....EVER and yet i have a bigger back.
  20. Advanced Member
    Ricky5145's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    733
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    21.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by Type O Hero View Post
    Pulldowns are a good exercise because they allow you to use less than body weight. Also, you can use a variety of grips. I like them best for warming up with and sometimes V-bar pulldowns.

    I wouldn't replace pull-ups with pulldowns, but I wouldn't exclude pulldowns from my routines all together.
    i like your stance on this better then that one kids. you ackwnoldge the usefullness in both. good standpoint. i just dont like rediculous claims like "far superior"

    i dont care for them, but i dont think there useless.
  21. Advanced Member
    Type O Hero's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    923
    Rep Power
    90578
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    74.96%

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky5145 View Post
    i like your stance on this better then that one kids. you ackwnoldge the usefullness in both. good standpoint. i just dont like rediculous claims like "far superior"

    i dont care for them, but i dont think there useless.
    Of course..

    I do think certain exercises could be considered superior to others if you were basing that off of what works for you. As in, I get more out of dumbbell presses than I do with barbell presses because of the way my body is built, but I wouldn't take that and say that DB presses are always superior to barbell presses because I know plenty of people who could achieve great chest development by only doing barbell presses. Different strokes for different folks.

    Most of the time I'd recommend pull-ups over pulldowns, but there's always exceptions to where the opposite would be encouraged.
  22. New Member
    rckvl7's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    387
    Rep Power
    258
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    15.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky5145 View Post
    wow hot shot, i guess you really know everything. i mean theres no argueing anything you just said. your so right, wait a minute im just kidding.


    i bet you didnt even know who charles poliquin was until i mentioned his name, you just knew of his article that you found on the web. and its the only peice of evidence to your arguement. an outdated article from an unreliable web page.

    compared to and pro or amateuar charles is a shrimp, so if i had ronnie or yates saying pulldowns are better,and then i had this weisel in the other corner tell me "these chins are the ulitmate mass bulder" guess who id listen to? not you or charles.

    so first, if chins were the ulitmate mass builder then why dont all these frail bodies who do nothing but chins at home have big backs? or even half decently developed backs?? they dont so there not "far superior"

    second, if you think smith machines are useless than any post youve ever made should be deleted and you shouldnt be giving anyone advice. you should just quite right now. i use barbells but atleast i acknowledge the fact that smith machines arent usless. im not on an EGO trip where i exclude machines.

    third, if you dont like smith then get the hell of the leg press son, same damn thing. leg extentions or leg curls, same damn thing there undeniably useful

    fourth, you said nothing about my half of my points, so i guess you had no rebutle. and you cant say they werent good points because they destroyed yours. all you came back with was a half ass attack at me. which also failed by the way.

    again, outdated useless article from an unreliable source

    so again, you still havent proven your point, so i still firmly disagree, even more now then before considering youre the one argueing it.
    First I never attacked you, stop taking things so personally. Second you offered nothing to show that lat-pulldowns are better than chin-ups. Saying that Yates never did pull ups therefore pull-downs are better doesn't cut it. Third I don't do leg presses, leg extensions, or leg curls. They have limited usefullness as prehab/rehab movements and maybe as accessory lifts to bring up a weakness. Also, I have no idea who you are talking about when you say: "why dont all these frail bodies who do nothing but chins at home have big backs?" What people? Either way look at gymnasts and rock climbers, people who do pull-ups and pull-up type movements, they have very impressive backs.

    And again, you made no points except to dump on Poliquin, who I am willing to bet has much more experience than you.
  23. New Member
    rckvl7's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    387
    Rep Power
    258
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    15.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky5145 View Post
    i like your stance on this better then that one kids. you ackwnoldge the usefullness in both. good standpoint. i just dont like rediculous claims like "far superior"

    i dont care for them, but i dont think there useless.
    Where did I say that Lat Pulldowns are useless? Hmm, oh wait, I didn't say that. As a matter of fact I even said lat pull downs can build a bigger back. I said that Chin-ups are better.
  24. Advanced Member
    Ricky5145's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    733
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    21.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by Type O Hero View Post
    Of course..

    I do think certain exercises could be considered superior to others if you were basing that off of what works for you. As in, I get more out of dumbbell presses than I do with barbell presses because of the way my body is built, but I wouldn't take that and say that DB presses are always superior to barbell presses because I know plenty of people who could achieve great chest development by only doing barbell presses. Different strokes for different folks.

    Most of the time I'd recommend pull-ups over pulldowns, but there's always exceptions to where the opposite would be encouraged.
    nah bro, ive been in this game awhile and id never suggest a pull up over a pulldown, even if i didnt like that person. but then again after hearing some of your all comments it seems most of you arent into bodybuilding but just like to lift. nothing wrong with that at all, its a good and healthy hobby. im not looking to do however many pull ups, im trying to row 505 by april. not gonna do that with pullups...
  25. Advanced Member
    Ricky5145's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    733
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    21.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by rckvl7 View Post
    First I never attacked you, stop taking things so personally. Second you offered nothing to show that lat-pulldowns are better than chin-ups. Saying that Yates never did pull ups therefore pull-downs are better doesn't cut it. Third I don't do leg presses, leg extensions, or leg curls. They have limited usefullness as prehab/rehab movements and maybe as accessory lifts to bring up a weakness. Also, I have no idea who you are talking about when you say: "why dont all these frail bodies who do nothing but chins at home have big backs?" What people? Either way look at gymnasts and rock climbers, people who do pull-ups and pull-up type movements, they have very impressive backs.

    And again, you made no points except to dump on Poliquin, who I am willing to bet has much more experience than you.
    yeah you did home boy, saying my stance on smiths tells you where im comming from. but to the rest of what you just said all i have to say is wow, your rediculous. saying i havent proved anything? garbage, if you knew anything about yates or ronnie or even bodybuilding youd understand what i was talking about. i should not have to spoon feed you, but then again you dont seem to know anything about lifting. and since you said you dont do leg press etc... it proves to me you have no idea what your talking about. i particapate in the sport of bodybuilding. mountain climbers, rock climbers have nothing compared to them. developed, but in compraison frail. not a "ultimate mass builder".

    you never said they were useless by you implied so by stating that pull ups were far superior.

    say something else. you havent convinced me anything other than that you have a small back
  26. New Member
    rckvl7's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    387
    Rep Power
    258
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    15.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky5145 View Post
    yeah you did home boy, saying my stance on smiths tells you where im comming from. but to the rest of what you just said all i have to say is wow, your rediculous. saying i havent proved anything? garbage, if you knew anything about yates or ronnie or even bodybuilding youd understand what i was talking about. i should not have to spoon feed you, but then again you dont seem to know anything about lifting. and since you said you dont do leg press etc... it proves to me you have no idea what your talking about. i particapate in the sport of bodybuilding. mountain climbers, rock climbers have nothing compared to them. developed, but in compraison frail. not a "ultimate mass builder".

    you never said they were useless by you implied so by stating that pull ups were far superior.

    say something else. you havent convinced me anything other than that you have a small back
    I am not a "home boy". Saying that pull-ups/chin-ups are superior to lat pull-downs in no way implies that lat pull downs are useless, that is ridiculous reasoning. You really are taking things far too personally. I really don't care to convince you. If lat pull-downs work for you, great. I'm not telling you not to do them.
  27. Advanced Member
    Ricky5145's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    733
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    21.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by rckvl7 View Post
    I am not a "home boy". Saying that pull-ups/chin-ups are superior to lat pull-downs in no way implies that lat pull downs are useless, that is ridiculous reasoning. You really are taking things far too personally. I really don't care to convince you. If lat pull-downs work for you, great. I'm not telling you not to do them.
    alright home boy, if i said lat pulldowns are not just superior but a far superior exercise to chins and then sent you an article as to why i thought why. it would imply that i did not care for chins or thought that they were useless compared to pulldowns. that is actually the working definition of reasoning used right there. i reasoned. did you not go to school?
  28. New Member
    rckvl7's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    387
    Rep Power
    258
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    15.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky5145 View Post
    alright home boy, if i said lat pulldowns are not just superior but a far superior exercise to chins and then sent you an article as to why i thought why. it would imply that i did not care for chins or thought that they were useless compared to pulldowns. that is actually the working definition of reasoning used right there. i reasoned. did you not go to school?
    You made an assumption, an incorrect one. As I said, I am done trying to convince you. You really are showing your lack of maturity with your continued personal attacks though.
  29. Advanced Member
    Ricky5145's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    733
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    21.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by rckvl7 View Post
    You made an assumption, an incorrect one. As I said, I am done trying to convince you. You really are showing your lack of maturity with your continued personal attacks though.
    nah home boy its just annoying to be to go on a page called "anabolic minds" and find people like you who know nothing about the sport who try to tell me things. i came here to talk to people who know what there talking about, and for the most part they do, theres some cool dudes on her but im obviously not talking to one. im done with you and this convo, you couldnt convice me jack even if you wanted to. in not immature, your just disapointing me
  30. Banned
    H8dook's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    98
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    87.92%

    AHHH...A good ole' E-FIGHT!
    I believe we are actually talking about pull ups,not chins.
    Is the reason you are hating on p-ups,cause you can't do them???
    Many people can't.A bodyweight exercise is DEFINITELY tougher/harder than a machine one.
    P-ups are tried and true and a GREAT lat builder.

    C'mon kids we can all play in the same sandbox,,,and when you're done building sandcastles...DON'T forget to do your PULLUPS
  31. New Member
    TestnRest's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    65
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    80.53%

    Pullups vs. Pulldowns.... THE ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN
  32. New Member
    TestnRest's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    65
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    80.53%

    No, but on a serious note. Ricky5145 makes a really good point. Bodybuilders generally favor the lat pulldown to build mass, and the pullup is just used as a warmup. However, you both are coming at it from different angles. One of you is mentioning gymnasts, mountain climbers, etc. These are people that are generally lean, fit and muscular but not huge, or anywhere near the size of bodybuilders such as Yates or Arnold, etc.
    On the flip side, the other one of you is mentioning bodybuilders and 'bodybuilding', in which it is important to not only be lean and muscular, but also to pack on massive size. The point at which you guys started arguing is because the term 'ultimate mass builder' was used. To one of you, the term could mean simply have a defined and lean back, and to the other one of you, that means to have a massive bodybuilder style back. But, I will say, that in terms of mass, Ricky is right, lat pulldowns will build mass faster and denser than pullups.
  33. Banned
    H8dook's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    98
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    87.92%

    Yeah,an I've seen "so called" bodybuilders on the lat machine rocking back and forth while snatching the weight around.Reminds me of the kids outside of walmart riding the 25 cent horsey go round thingy...I expect them at any minute to go into an epileptic seizure the way they are flopping all over the place with HORRIBLE-ASS form!

    But I guess you are right.When they leave the gym they have to walk sideways through the double doors because their lats as so swole
  34. New Member
    Jeremy Brown's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    475
    Rep Power
    316
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    94.03%

    it could just be me personally but i prefer heavy ass dumbbell rows, with an exaggerated stretch at the bottom of the movement and sometimes even a pause to allow for the stretch in your lat (i usually pick a weight that i can only do anywhere from 6-10 reps with given the stretching motion). a few sets of those and you can really feel the pump in your lats.
  35. Advanced Member
    Ricky5145's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    733
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    21.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by H8dook View Post
    AHHH...A good ole' E-FIGHT!
    I believe we are actually talking about pull ups,not chins.
    Is the reason you are hating on p-ups,cause you can't do them???
    Many people can't.A bodyweight exercise is DEFINITELY tougher/harder than a machine one.
    P-ups are tried and true and a GREAT lat builder.

    C'mon kids we can all play in the same sandbox,,,and when you're done building sandcastles...DON'T forget to do your PULLUPS
    nah, i can do them, i can do them all day but thanks to trying to poke at me son. and dont be a ****, pull ups, chins who cares its still all the same thing, a warm up. but like i said earlier, i dont care how many i can do, doing pull ups OR CHINS wont get me to row 500 lbs and anything else for that matter. its a good warm-up.

    take for instence that girl in the article he pointed out. it said she did 60 straight. do youthinkg that girl can load of 4 plates on a bar and row it? hell no, shed break in half. shes just doing body weight.

    im glad to see you agree here latter. and when you said "so called bodybuilders" in you later post i can tell your not one so i can see why youd side with the pullup.
  36. Advanced Member
    Ricky5145's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    733
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    21.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by TestnRest View Post
    No, but on a serious note. Ricky5145 makes a really good point. Bodybuilders generally favor the lat pulldown to build mass, and the pullup is just used as a warmup. However, you both are coming at it from different angles. One of you is mentioning gymnasts, mountain climbers, etc. These are people that are generally lean, fit and muscular but not huge, or anywhere near the size of bodybuilders such as Yates or Arnold, etc.
    On the flip side, the other one of you is mentioning bodybuilders and 'bodybuilding', in which it is important to not only be lean and muscular, but also to pack on massive size. The point at which you guys started arguing is because the term 'ultimate mass builder' was used. To one of you, the term could mean simply have a defined and lean back, and to the other one of you, that means to have a massive bodybuilder style back. But, I will say, that in terms of mass, Ricky is right, lat pulldowns will build mass faster and denser than pullups.
    you summed it up perfectly without and arguement. good job, i agree
  37. Advanced Member
    Ricky5145's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    733
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    21.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Brown View Post
    it could just be me personally but i prefer heavy ass dumbbell rows, with an exaggerated stretch at the bottom of the movement and sometimes even a pause to allow for the stretch in your lat (i usually pick a weight that i can only do anywhere from 6-10 reps with given the stretching motion). a few sets of those and you can really feel the pump in your lats.

    ditto man, i was just defending lat pulldowns but i am all over the BB row. you just cant beat um
  38. New Member
    codywaters's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Age
    37
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    127
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    2.19%

    Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    heavy deads
    Deadlifts do not hit the lats... they hit the lower back and traps... now pull your head out of your asses and read this!

    http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...builder_back_1
  39. Advanced Member
    TheLastRonin's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    959
    Rep Power
    593
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    9.04%

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky5145 View Post

    also, look at ronnie or yates, both had argueably the best backs in the game and neither did pull ups.
    Wrong. Here is a quote for ya. "Never underestimate the power of wide-grip pull-ups to develop width and size."

    Ronnie Coleman
    Mr. Olympia


    heres an excerpt from a review with dorian as well; : Did you do pull-ups at your heavy bodyweight?

    Dorian: Yeah, I used to. We used to do them with maybe an extra hundred pounds, stuff like that. Maybe not full range pull-ups, though. But after the bicep injury in '94, I stayed away from pull-ups because the stretch position on the bicep wasn't right. Then I was relying on machines a lot more, particularly the Hammer pulldown machine and the row.

    So he did them UNTIL he was too injured to do them anymore!

    http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...ates_interview

    Its funny how you speak for them when you don't know **** about them kid. besides the fact that they take enough injectables to kill a rhino, so why you would give a **** about what they do is odd. You had a high % of BF @ 200 and your bigger now after your bulk. I guarantee your bf is even higher now so stop throwing your weight around like it means something. Your a 21 year old child who has not been in the "game" ever. You just graduated high school not too long ago and have obviously never competed in anything. Deadlifts build thickness, weighted pull ups build width period. if you can't do pull ups, do pull downs till you can. Stop misleading people with your BS.

    For fun: Arnold doing pull ups. YouTube- Arnold Schwarzenegger pull ups
  40. Advanced Member
    Ricky5145's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    733
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    21.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastRonin View Post
    Wrong. Here is a quote for ya. "Never underestimate the power of wide-grip pull-ups to develop width and size."

    Ronnie Coleman
    Mr. Olympia


    heres an excerpt from a review with dorian as well; : Did you do pull-ups at your heavy bodyweight?

    Dorian: Yeah, I used to. We used to do them with maybe an extra hundred pounds, stuff like that. Maybe not full range pull-ups, though. But after the bicep injury in '94, I stayed away from pull-ups because the stretch position on the bicep wasn't right. Then I was relying on machines a lot more, particularly the Hammer pulldown machine and the row.

    So he did them UNTIL he was too injured to do them anymore!

    http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...ates_interview

    Its funny how you speak for them when you don't know **** about them kid. besides the fact that they take enough injectables to kill a rhino, so why you would give a **** about what they do is odd. You had a high % of BF @ 200 and your bigger now after your bulk. I guarantee your bf is even higher now so stop throwing your weight around like it means something. Your a 21 year old child who has not been in the "game" ever. You just graduated high school not too long ago and have obviously never competed in anything. Deadlifts build thickness, weighted pull ups build width period. if you can't do pull ups, do pull downs till you can. Stop misleading people with your BS.
    wow, its somebodies time of the month. if you want to rag on me thats fine. i take it as a compliment. your comments just prove your jealous. saying my bf was high at 200. ha, thats a joke. it obviously wasnt i get it checked regularly, my gf works at the human preformace lab so i get more effective tests than your skin fold tests. also, if you dont care about my weight fine, but i still lift more than you ever will, with great form too. i may be 21 but id like to see you row 455 for six, or incline 315 for reps. but you dont. so in a way you complimented me so thanks man.

    and the high school comment? im about to graduate college you lil shrimp. i guess you never went...it shows.

    and the ronnie and yates comment. i was using them as an example. sure they may have said that and sure the were juicing, but just because you juice doesnt mean your going to get huge. and if you look at them from the time they were average size on the stage to when they became the mass monsters they were, they didnt utilize pull ups. early careers sure. i did when i started lifting, but i dont use them now, and they didnt either.
    besides if you watch ronnies interviews he contradics himself alot.

    so in short, thanks for the compliments you just boosted my ego a lil so thanks
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. uneven lats
    By liftallday123 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 08:52 PM
  2. help me build lats
    By greekgeorge in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2010, 02:07 AM
  3. Try this for Lats and Bi's
    By Matt6969 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-13-2008, 02:54 AM
  4. Big Lats
    By rhynoflex in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 03-08-2008, 12:10 PM
  5. How many ml can you put in your lats?
    By Mr.Striation in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 06:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in