Training while sick

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Hi guys,

I'm recovering from a chest infection and on antibiotics. I've not been to the gym the last three days (last days was sat) because I've been feeling pretty rough. Improved slightly now and was thinking of hitting the gym. Just wanted to know if its a good move. What have others done when ill? Have you waited until you fully recovered or did you train, less intensley, when ill? Thoughts welcome!

Thanks,

S.

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
i train.i have a home gym though.if i was at a gym and someone looked all sick or coughing away i would be pissed

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
fair point! i really dont want to give this to anyone else. But I think its in the latter stages, so shouldn't too infectious.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Assuming you're aren't going to contaminate the gym, I would truly ask yourself if you can get a good workout before you go. If you can eat, sleep and train effectively, I say go for it. Training means nothing (IMO) if you can't eat & sleep properly for recovery. If you can't, stay home and rest!

Either way, good luck.

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
Last time I went to the gym to workout on what I felt was the last day of my viris just seemed to make me feel worse. I felt sick again the next day. Not as bad but I could feel it coming back again. It wasn't till I stopped training and let my body get over the virus completely that it didn't come back after training. It sucks having to skip training because your sick so I'm just saying don't push it. Listen to what the guy above me said.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Let yourself recover. Remember, it's a good idea to take a week away from the weights completely every now and then, you will often come back stronger.

lmaiuri

Awards
Studies have shown that moderate exercise while sick increases your chance of recovery by some 40-50%. Just remember to wash your hands after you get out of the gym because I believe lot of people get sick from poor hygiene in the weight room

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Studies have shown that moderate exercise while sick increases your chance of recovery by some 40-50%. Just remember to wash your hands after you get out of the gym because I believe lot of people get sick from poor hygiene in the weight room
Link to studies please.

H8dook

H8dook

Banned
Awards
Stay out of them gym until you are COMPLETELY well..Please! I'm sure fellow members would greatly appreciate it also.
The gym is already a "major germ hole" as is.