no biceps soreness - AnabolicMinds.com

no biceps soreness

1. New Member

no biceps soreness

hi guys! just quick question.. Do you feel sorenes in your biceps after biceps workout? if yes, what workout you do? coz i newer felt soreness in my biceps.. i tried easy high reps, heavy low reps, did tons of diferent routines, but never felt soreness in my biceps.. and i can tell, my biceps is my laging part..
    i feel sore in all my body parts inc triceps, except biceps..
    any ideas why? may it be because of overtraining?

oh yeh, my current chest bis workout looks like this;

flat BB bench press 4x8-12
    incline DB press 4x8-12
    flat DB flys 4x8-12
    standing alternated DB curls 4x8-12
    pinweel curls 4x8-12
    close grip BB cable curls 4x8-12

thanks for any input

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  264 lbs.

imo i never liked chest bi workout. did not work for me. maybe try bis tri together. i get great arm pumps from that.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.

I was told that biceps, calf muscles and abdominal muscles are the type of muscles that demand more training than other muscles. I prefer working out those three muscles groups at two to three times a week. To get these muscle groups sore I constantly have to change the exercises and the amount of reps/sets performed.

For my biceps I recently started to incorporate the FST-7 style training. On my last exercise I performed 7 sets of 8-12 reps w/ 30-45 seconds breaks using seated dumbbell curls, curling both sides at the same time. This worked for me and was the first time in a long time I felt sore biceps.

Another exercise that worked in the past was Vince Gironda's Drag Curls.

This information is based off of my experience and may not be facts or true for others.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.

Try taking a low weight db and sit on a bench and do one arm hamercurls sets of 10, keep alternating with no break until you can't do anymore... that works for me from time to time.. i usually only do that about once a month though, and i get sore aftewards..
    Make sure you do it at the end of your bicep workout!
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Try taking a low weight db and sit on a bench and do one arm hamercurls sets of 10, keep alternating with no break until you can't do anymore... that works for me from time to time.. i usually only do that about once a month though, and i get sore aftewards..
    Make sure you do it at the end of your bicep workout!
    I also enjoy doing that exercise and forcing w/ 1 or 2 reps forced at the end.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  285 lbs.

...if you are doing it right your bi will fell tight, almost painful when flexed post w/o.
    Drop the cable curls.

~Cuervo
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuervo Jones View Post
    ...if you are doing it right your bi will fell tight, almost painful when flexed post w/o.
    Drop the cable curls.

~Cuervo
    Im not a big fan of the cable curls. Good for a decent pump but good form is hard to achieve with cable curls. Just my opinion. I like to stick with barbells, dumbbells and pull up bars.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.

I agree with dropping the cable curls. Give what Tone said a try, it's basically a burnout exercise. I enjoy doing it every now and then so I get that really sore and deep burn in my biceps. Good Luck
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

To be honest, if you aren't feeling sore and you've tried seemingly everything, from my perspective you may not be performing the exercises effectively. When you do any type of bi exercise, do you make sure to contract the muscle at the top of the movement? Do you go to failure - getting yourself past the mental and physical hurdles? Honestly ask yourself if you are doing both of these. Then, whatever exercises you do, will work and trust me you will feel sore.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Rope pullups. High Cable Curls. Fat Bar Curls.. DB 28s which is 7 hammer curls 7 half rep curls (top portion) 7 full rep and 7 second hold at the middle portion
  11. New Member

thanks lads.. i will make some changes, coz there have to be a way to make them fukers grow..
  12. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by grigs View Post
    hi guys! just quick question.. Do you feel sorenes in your biceps after biceps workout? if yes, what workout you do? coz i newer felt soreness in my biceps.. i tried easy high reps, heavy low reps, did tons of diferent routines, but never felt soreness in my biceps.. and i can tell, my biceps is my laging part..
    i feel sore in all my body parts inc triceps, except biceps..
    any ideas why? may it be because of overtraining?

oh yeh, my current chest bis workout looks like this;

flat BB bench press 4x8-12
    incline DB press 4x8-12
    flat DB flys 4x8-12
    standing alternated DB curls 4x8-12
    pinweel curls 4x8-12
    close grip BB cable curls 4x8-12

thanks for any input
    Make sure your getting a negative on each rep.
    Drop the weight as needed.CONCENTRATE on the negative part of the movement.Bi's are an EGO exercise.If I had a dollar for every time I've seen someone w/way too much weight slinging/rocking...well you get the idea.Not saying you are doing it,but its all too common.

You should also incorporate spider curls. It's purely bicep if performed correctly,an a nice change of pace.Lie on an incline bench.Chest planted firmly on bench w/each arm dangling from your sides.DON'T rise off the bench!It's a short range of motion also.Squeeze at the top.Let the dumbbell down SLOWLY!...You'll feel it a day or 2 after.I perform them alternating.
  13. cmc
    Stats
    5'9"  193 lbs.

Do cable curls at the end of a bicep routine with the primary bicep exercises being free weight. If not done at the end of a bicep's routine, a sick superset utilizing the cable curl would be to start off with seated barbell drag curls immediately followed by lying flat bench cable curls....can be done on the seated row bench using the straight bar. You go from a short movement to a long movement. Hits them hard.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.

Arrow

How about this, after the curl contraction concentrate on letting the weight down SLOWWWWWLY as you extend your arm and remember not to come to rest or bounce the weight off your thighs on the full extension. I find that I have to remember to remind myself to slow my movements down. Sometimes you can get carried away feeling like a powerhouse by curling some big weight all fast (thereby throwing off your form), but find out you get your ass kicked by the weights a lot better if you slow down.

Also, how about working in a compound exercise like CLOSE GRIP CHINUPS (palms facing you). I'm guilty of never doing them myself, but next bicep day I'm going to start.

Doing a google search for "bicep compound exercises" brought me to this page, good descriptions of the exercises:

http://www.projectswole.com/weight-t...eps-exercises/

This page also has some good info:
    http://www.ebicep.com/big-biceps.html

Good luck! Lets get these arms huge because spring will be here before you know it!

*edit*
    Quote Originally Posted by H8dook View Post
    Make sure your getting a negative on each rep.
    Drop the weight as needed.CONCENTRATE on the negative part of the movement.Bi's are an EGO exercise.If I had a dollar for every time I've seen someone w/way too much weight slinging/rocking...well you get the idea.Not saying you are doing it,but its all too common.
    Yup, I totally agree, it's all about the extension! It's so easy to get carried away with slinging big weights around when you have to remember to concentrate on the extension (negative part of the motion).

Also, if you really want to beat up on your biceps, try a double set. Do a set of curls with the curl bar, and then immediately do a set of chinups. Rest for 30 seconds to a minute, and then do another double set. Another exercise I do sometimes is something we called "crazy 8's".

CRAZY 8's:
    Standing, and using the curl bar and some moderate weight, your first 8 reps will be from rest (full extension, bar down at your legs) to about half way up (arms will be sticking straight out about parallel to the ground at top of the rep). Immediately after these 8 reps, do 8 reps from half way up (arms sticking straight out, parallel to ground) to full contraction (top of the range of motion). THEN, immediately do 8 reps from rest to full contraction (full range of motion). That's 1 set. Do 3 or 4 sets of this along with some other bicep exercises during your workout that day, and you'll feel it. Remember to use good form, don't sling the weight, and if you have a partner get them to spot you if you're struggling to get the weight to the top of your curl (you may need it on your last 8 "full range" reps). I usually have the curl bar plus 15 lbs on each side, and maybe 20 lbs on each side on a good day.

BTW, can someone tell me how much the freakin curl bar weighs? Is it 45 lbs, 35 lbs? Embarrassingly, I've never known!
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  204 lbs.

21's will do it. Basically have someone stand in front of you and put their hand at the bottom of your pecs. You do 7 underneath their arm, then do 7 on top of their arm and then 7 with the full range of motion. If you are doing it heavy enough the last few on the full ROM are brutal and usually you need a bump from the spotter. If you do 3 sets of these after doing regular curls and your arms aren't dead go heavier.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by buuzer0 View Post

CRAZY 8's:
    Standing, and using the curl bar and some moderate weight, your first 8 reps will be from rest (full extension, bar down at your legs) to about half way up (arms will be sticking straight out about parallel to the ground at top of the rep). Immediately after these 8 reps, do 8 reps from half way up (arms sticking straight out, parallel to ground) to full contraction (top of the range of motion). THEN, immediately do 8 reps from rest to full contraction (full range of motion). That's 1 set. Do 3 or 4 sets of this along with some other bicep exercises during your workout that day, and you'll feel it. Remember to use good form, don't sling the weight, and if you have a partner get them to spot you if you're struggling to get the weight to the top of your curl (you may need it on your last 8 "full range" reps). I usually have the curl bar plus 15 lbs on each side, and maybe 20 lbs on each side on a good day.
    Quote Originally Posted by CodyK7 View Post
    21's will do it. Basically have someone stand in front of you and put their hand at the bottom of your pecs. You do 7 underneath their arm, then do 7 on top of their arm and then 7 with the full range of motion. If you are doing it heavy enough the last few on the full ROM are brutal and usually you need a bump from the spotter. If you do 3 sets of these after doing regular curls and your arms aren't dead go heavier.
    Haha, looks like we're on the same page! This exercise is definitely great for killing your biceps.
  17. Senior Member

If thats you in your avatar your arms are already well developed. Like you my biceps never really get sore. The one thing that makes my biceps sore is extreme stretching and rest pause sets. The burn out type stuff with high reps never really made my biceps sore. Google DC or dog crapp training. He uses both methods.
  18. New Member

you all gived good info in here, thanks! i hope i can make them grow.
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  238 lbs.

Do heavy deadlifts and pullups + Heavy Standing Barbell curls. Heavy preacher curls and have a partner help you to do some really heavy ass negatives or cheat curls with a slow negative. Stay away from the blood pumping exercises. Looks good in the mirror but thats about it. Don't train for numbers either. Train till exhaustion with your form staying where it should be.
  20. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jstrong20 View Post
    If thats you in your avatar your arms are already well developed. Like you my biceps never really get sore. The one thing that makes my biceps sore is extreme stretching and rest pause sets. The burn out type stuff with high reps never really made my biceps sore. Google DC or dog crapp training. He uses both methods.
    yes, this me in my avatar.. my arms is 46cm, but most of it is triceps.. my favourite workouts is biceps, but they just not growing for me
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

You don't have to experience soreness to get growth.

The best biceps-specific exercises:
    Barbell or Curl Bar Curls (if you're going to do these, go heavy, keep good form)
    Incline DB Curls
    Lying Curls
    Standing DB Curls, various grips and whatnot
    Preacher Curls
    Concentration Curls (I only do these if I want to burn out)
    Chin-ups
    ** Technique is extremely important, especially with biceps. Generally the only time I think cheating a little is a good idea is when I'm doing heavy barbell curls. I'll use just enough cheating to get the weight up while still lowering it really slow.

In my experiences, a little bit of biceps work after a good back workout is the best. THE best exercise I know for biceps are bent-over underhand barbell rows. Some pull-ups, underhand BB rows, maybe some deadlifts then a small amount of direct biceps work is the best I've come up with for me. I only do 2-4 total sets of biceps at the end of a workout. Do a lot of flexing/stretching afterwards.

Bent-over Underhand Barbell Rows... Yes
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. 5x5 for Biceps???
    By BaDgErFaN in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-02-2010, 09:49 PM
  2. Next day leg soreness
    By Abaddon75 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-11-2009, 08:17 PM
  3. soreness on aas