high reps?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'3"  123 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.59%

high reps?

Question. This girls website features many workouts that are all high rep ranges. One workout involving squats she focuses on a 40 rep range. How can this girl be so ripped when she uses high reps and light weights? Do you think she does her own workouts:
    w w w. bodyrock. tv/

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

high reps, minimal breaks = high GH response = less body fat. combined with a slow digesting carb diet of course

EDIT : my g/f has the exact same look (abs, size 0, etc) and she is on a very low carb diet.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'3"  123 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.59%

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    high reps, minimal breaks = high GH response = less body fat. combined with a slow digesting carb diet of course

EDIT : my g/f has the exact same look (abs, size 0, etc) and she is on a very low carb diet.
    So there's no problem doing these workouts or using high rep ranges if your goal is fat loss? I understand high reps would not increase size but can it increase strength?
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.08%

it will increase size - slowly. GH is the second best muscle builder that you naturally possess. it is also the best internally regulated fat burner. strength gains are minimal, muscle gains are minimal, but they are there, and apparent if your diet is on check to realize them.
  5. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  116 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.4%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by shugrblossm View Post
    Question. This girls website features many workouts that are all high rep ranges. One workout involving squats she focuses on a 40 rep range. How can this girl be so ripped when she uses high reps and light weights? Do you think she does her own workouts:
    w w w. bodyrock. tv/
    You can use ANY rep range and weights and be "ripped". If you hadn't noticed MOST females who do resistance training use high reps and light weights - including competitors. It's not what you do with your resistance training that primarily determines your leanness, but your diet. Once you're lean you can do almost anything re training - so long as your nutrition is in place - to stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by shugrblossm View Post
    So there's no problem doing these workouts or using high rep ranges if your goal is fat loss? I understand high reps would not increase size but can it increase strength?
    If your goal is fat loss, IMO one would be better off doing low to medium reps at the heaviest weight possible that they can for said reps. In saying that, if the goal is fat loss, then the focus should be on NUTRITION, and then on training. Like I said above, you can pretty much do whatever re fat loss if your nutrition is on pointe for YOU.

As far as high reps, high reps are going to build muscular ENDURANCE. Some can help re hypertrophy with specific muscles, but you are not really going to increase strength too much.

~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'3"  123 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.59%

As far as high reps, high reps are going to build muscular ENDURANCE. Some can help re hypertrophy with specific muscles, but you are not really going to increase strength too much.

endurance based is probably better for sports specific training not necessarily bodybuilding. (or a deloading week)
    True, diet alone could shred anyone, but weights do help.

Thanks
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.08%

sorry, let me clarify. your body GH levels peak after a HIIT workout for up to 24 hours. i say up to, because 10g of simple carbs will drop those levels instantly - so if you work out and spike those GH levels, then slam a shake with simple carbs, you've basically done nothing except possibly break down some muscle fibers. if breaking down muscle fibers was your goal, you would be strength training....
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.77%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    You can use ANY rep range and weights and be "ripped". If you hadn't noticed MOST females who do resistance training use high reps and light weights - including competitors. It's not what you do with your resistance training that primarily determines your leanness, but your diet. Once you're lean you can do almost anything re training - so long as your nutrition is in place - to stay there.

If your goal is fat loss, IMO one would be better off doing low to medium reps at the heaviest weight possible that they can for said reps. In saying that, if the goal is fat loss, then the focus should be on NUTRITION, and then on training. Like I said above, you can pretty much do whatever re fat loss if your nutrition is on pointe for YOU.

~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    Good post Rosie... I never go really high reps with my girls they train the way I do and I am extatic with their progress. Yah they are better in the higher rep ranges and we go to 15 to 18 reps (which is plenty of endurance) at times but we also do 5-8 rep ranges. Oh and we do 20 rep widowmakers as well. I have not seen many make the progress that they have in such a short time. The more I train with them the more I realize that women have been lied to about how they should train differently from men, their just as tough as we are if not tougher and they listen!!
    LG Sciences sponsored athlete
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'3"  123 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.59%

sorry, let me clarify. your body GH levels peak after a HIIT workout for up to 24 hours. i say up to, because 10g of simple carbs will drop those levels instantly - so if you work out and spike those GH levels, then slam a shake with simple carbs, you've basically done nothing except possibly break down some muscle fibers. if breaking down muscle fibers was your goal, you would be strength training....
    Sorry to get off the subject but you made an interesting point about post HIIT nutrition. Does this mean don't consume carbs or more specifically simple carbs immediately after HIIT (for weight loss). But for weightlifting, is it different?
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.08%

its slightly different.

for HIIT there are NO simple carbs allowed, because as little as 10g (at one time) will substantially lower your results (if taken within 24 hours after working out). keep in mind your GH levels spike during REM sleep, and after HIIT workouts. some HIIT folks bypass the fast carb rule by taking in quick carbs before working out, as their GH levels respike right after - this is usually the early morning HIIT group. this is the only doable way of getting a cheat meal in while pulling off a HIIT routine.

for bodybuilding, simple carbs are optional, though pre/post workout are when most of us take them, and then stick with slower digesting carbs throughout their day. simple carbs will not affect test levels, and really don't make a bit of difference with regards to bodybuilding, other than the amount of fat you're willing to gain by taking too many simple carbs.

also, with regards to bodybuilding and test levels, trans-fat is our devil - as little as 2 grams can substantially lower test levels - hence why fast food is only OK while on cycle (since there's no test levels to lower). though there are plenty of other reasons to avoid fast food while cycling (sodium levels, etc).
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'3"  123 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.59%

its slightly different.

for HIIT there are NO simple carbs allowed, because as little as 10g (at one time) will substantially lower your results (if taken within 24 hours after working out). keep in mind your GH levels spike during REM sleep, and after HIIT workouts. some HIIT folks bypass the fast carb rule by taking in quick carbs before working out, as their GH levels respike right after - this is usually the early morning HIIT group. this is the only doable way of getting a cheat meal in while pulling off a HIIT routine.

for bodybuilding, simple carbs are optional, though pre/post workout are when most of us take them, and then stick with slower digesting carbs throughout their day. simple carbs will not affect test levels, and really don't make a bit of difference with regards to bodybuilding, other than the amount of fat you're willing to gain by taking too many simple carbs.

also, with regards to bodybuilding and test levels, trans-fat is our devil - as little as 2 grams can substantially lower test levels - hence why fast food is only OK while on cycle (since there's no test levels to lower). though there are plenty of other reasons to avoid fast food while cycling (sodium levels, etc).
    great info. thanks

Similar Forum Threads

1. High Reps to Hugeness
    By EctoMeso in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 06:50 AM
  2. High or Low reps for lean mass?
    By nightside1234 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 07:03 AM
  3. gaining mass with high reps?
    By underdog13 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman