Deadlift discussion

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
hey just want to talk a but about the deadlift, have a few questions

6'5, 250, 8%

i have always squatted a lot. Up to 600 x 2 raw until i decided to take it easy on my joints. But even at my best the most i could ever pull was 455 for reps. i had some unfortunate and dumb injuries, in my back aswell a few problems.

Last week i started deadlifting again after 2 years of not doing it. Obviously i would assume my lower back has gotten weak. I got to 405 for a pull and it was ok.

My Q is. The lift doesnt feel right at all. I have watched and read sooo much stuff. Mark Rippetoe says bar under the toes, everywhere else says shins against the bar. So for a guy like me 6'5, long torso anyone who i like this what do you do? what secrets have you accumulated because for the life of me i have read hours of stuff and nothing has answered

any great links you have or any info i will check out
just really want to get my deadlift up 600+ at least

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
What do you mean he says bar "under toes"? Generally you will want your shins to be perpindicular to the ground and the shins in contact with the bar.

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
just start with a light weight and rep until you feel comfortable enough to lift heavy. Everyones body is a different size i.e. longer/shorter legs or longer/shorter torso so don't always follow to the T what you read.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
What is your stance like? Stretches that usually are not very good at the deadlift in general in my experience are using a stance that requires them to do more of a good morning or stiff-legged DL. Change the stance and I guarantee it will go up. Also what part of the lift feels the weakest and leaves you the most sore after a hard workout?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
hey just want to talk a but about the deadlift, have a few questions

6'5, 250, 8%

i have always squatted a lot. Up to 600 x 2 raw until i decided to take it easy on my joints. But even at my best the most i could ever pull was 455 for reps. i had some unfortunate and dumb injuries, in my back aswell a few problems.

Last week i started deadlifting again after 2 years of not doing it. Obviously i would assume my lower back has gotten weak. I got to 405 for a pull and it was ok.

My Q is. The lift doesnt feel right at all. I have watched and read sooo much stuff. Mark Rippetoe says bar under the toes, everywhere else says shins against the bar. So for a guy like me 6'5, long torso anyone who i like this what do you do? what secrets have you accumulated because for the life of me i have read hours of stuff and nothing has answered

any great links you have or any info i will check out
just really want to get my deadlift up 600+ at least
stretch out for sure for at least 10 minutes. strech hamstrings,quads. lower and upper back and twist around crack ur back so that everything feels loose. also make sure your up for at least 2 hours before you deadlift. i read it over on tnation that theres some fluid thats fully activated after a couple hours of being awake. Then when you dealift keep the bar about 6 inches from the shins arch your back and grab the bar.. then once you do this lower your body a bit and your shins will automatically come forward and then pull the bend out the bar first then start ur lift. at lockout thrust your hips forward do not lean back...

ive learned these from reading numerous articles on tnation,elitefts and some advice on here. i keep a log on microsoft word on what works for me and what doesnt and review it b4 i deadlift...

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
wow thanks so much everyone. some awesome advice. "improving the deadlift" i have read that a few days ago. great stuff. the videos i watched and all this say you are pulling the bar back blah blah so keep the bar underneath your toes when you start to get proper leverage. For me tho, i cant lift the bar like this, i seem to have no leverage until the bar touches by my shins

after playing around i do like starting closer to the shins. BUT being so tall the problem then becomes clearing my knees so naturally i am leaning forward which means the last part of the lift become almost straight legish with all tension on my lower back. This is my main concern right now.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
after playing around i do like starting closer to the shins. BUT being so tall the problem then becomes clearing my knees so naturally i am leaning forward which means the last part of the lift become almost straight legish with all tension on my lower back. This is my main concern right now.
Exactly. So try taking a wider stance with the bar still resting against your shins and bend those knees! You need to pull on a sight angle(or arc realistically) up and back not straight up and down.

tattoopierced1

i pull with the bar close to my shins, most i've pulled so far this way is 530lbs, going for 550 on monday.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
i pull with the bar close to my shins, most i've pulled so far this way is 530lbs, going for 550 on monday.
i still say it's a bit harder for us tall guys to squat and bench and DL due to the distance we need to travel. remember that one of the things that is used to measure power is distance and just weight.

tattoopierced1

i still say it's a bit harder for us tall guys to squat and bench and DL due to the distance we need to travel. remember that one of the things that is used to measure power is distance and just weight.
i agree completely, I think it is much harder for us tall guys to do these things just like you said due to the distance we have to travel, but it isnt an excuse either. I just have fun trying to break my own PRs and getting up to that 600lb deadlift this year...I dont think that'd be too bad being 6'7"...

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
gonna keep an eye on this thread since I finally started incorporating deadlift into my routine. better late than never!

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
took in a lot of these tips. did a good deadlift workout. this time got to 315 x 6, 365 x 6, 375 x 4, 405 x 3

could go heavier but was getting tired. i also dead stop and reset and every rep. form felt better. i like close to shins and my hips go fairly low.

so frustrating my friend deadlifts 700 like its nothing. just built to do it i guess.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
took in a lot of these tips. did a good deadlift workout. this time got to 315 x 6, 365 x 6, 375 x 4, 405 x 3

could go heavier but was getting tired. i also dead stop and reset and every rep. form felt better. i like close to shins and my hips go fairly low.

so frustrating my friend deadlifts 700 like its nothing. just built to do it i guess.
Sounds good man, keep at it.