boxer fracture

quakebks

Awards
so i have a boxer fracture and am supose to get a cast friday. is there any way i can help speed the recovery time up?

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Probably don't do what I did and keep lifting with the cast. I used machines that I could just push or pull against instead of having to hold the weight in my hand. I don't really know if I hurt my recovery or not, I was in a cast for 6-8 weeks, don't remember exact time. The doc wanted to take me out of it after the second cast at 6 weeks, but take it easy for another 2. I told her to go ahead and put another cast back on or I would definitely overdo it without one on my hand. Been out of cast since June or so, took about 4 more weeks of light duty at work, and been back since end of July or so. It gets a little tender now and then, but nothing has really sidelined my lifting since, i am just very conscious of it and if something twinges or feels funny, I back off.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here are a few of my suggestions...

1. Obey the rules of the cast... if you re-hurt it, the bone could possibly re-set in the wrong place and lead to chronic pain issues. Happened to me.
2. Obey the rules of the cast... don't remove the cast any earlier than the Doc recommends, that usually doesn't end well.
3. Increase your calcium intake.
4. Supplement some Cissus... it works.

Other than that, not much else to do, but give it time.

weeenisss

Board Supporter
Awards
Just let it heal and concentrate on what muscles you can train, mine was similar but the bone was actually impacted into itself, so mine was more stable than what yours looks to be. It really wasn't a huge setback after about two weeks training(once the cast was off) back at it I was caught up to where I was.

ElectricPulse

ElectricPulse

Awards
Just take the break time with the cast off, and do Ab's/cardio I mean because if you just keep hurting it you're bone will get weaker and weaker and more jacked up then it has become so it's not worth it.

quakebks

Awards
well i went to the ortho, they almost had to put pins in it. the bone is almost under the other. they didnt give me a cast though, they gave me a fiberglass shield which is formed around that half of my hand, i can take it off which is a plus.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
well i went to the ortho, they almost had to put pins in it. the bone is almost under the other. they didnt give me a cast though, they gave me a fiberglass shield which is formed around that half of my hand, i can take it off which is a plus.
Since it is not casted and you are able to take it on and off you have a big bonus and a big hazard...

Bonus... you are not going to have that holy $hit I don't even have enough strength in my wrist to hold my hand up when the cast comes off ordeal.

Hazard... Since you can take it off and it's not as fully protected you need to be extra careful not to re-injure it, which would only set you back further.

Best of luck with the healing man

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
**** you are lucky, i broke mine straight in half, had to have surgery, then 2 months later broke it again and had to have surgery all over again.... took me 6 weeks to heal each time with pins in.... I wouldn't do **** with that hand till it is fully recovered.