What do you guys think about doing swimming for cardio twice a week for 30-45

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
swimming twice a week for 30-45 and heavy lifting on the same day

So I signed up for a swimming course at college, that lasts from February to May. I probably won't lift weights again until March, So I can get my body used to exercise again. Also, starting tomorrow I am going to start swimming, before my college classes start. I was wondering is it okay to lift heavy on the days I swim once I'm healed? I have an 8 day workout routine, that I'm going back to once I can lift again. I'll be swimming two days a week, Tuesday and Thursday. BTW I think I have a meso body type, from what I've read, if that makes a difference.

swollwilliams

swollwilliams

Awards
  • Established
swimming is great cardio and very easy on the joints.. make sure you take the time to drink some water during your swim..i would also incorporate some other forms of cardio- eliptical, stair climber, treadmill,- also some weight training as well.. the combination along with a clean diet should yield some solid results-

gbales

Awards
i agree with swolwilliams, swimming is the best cardio, especially for recovery. I was a swimmer in college, it will get you in the best cardio shape. although if you try to run after swimming or do both you will have trouble. you use different muscles to swim/bike. good luck and just like lifting weight keep moving up in meters good luck

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
i agree with swolwilliams, swimming is the best cardio, especially for recovery. I was a swimmer in college, it will get you in the best cardio shape. although if you try to run after swimming or do both you will have trouble. you use different muscles to swim/bike. good luck and just like lifting weight keep moving up in meters good luck
Yeah I wasn't concerned about trying to run after swimming. I am more concerned with lifting weight a few hours after I swim, say 2-3 hours, because I'll have to since I took up a swimming course. I'm going back to an 8 day routine.
Day 1: Back and Biceps
Day 2: Chest and Triceps
Day 3 off
Day 4: off
Day 5: Legs
day 6: Shoulders
day 7 off
day 8 off

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
I totally agree with the both of you. Swimming is great cardio.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No reason why you can't lift after swimming. As long as your hydrated, diet is good, you'll be fine.