proper deadlifting

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
When doing a deadlift is it more beneficial to rest the weight on the ground between reps or just lightly tap the ground after each rep?

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Well it really should be from a dead stop, that's why it's called a deadlift When pulling for reps I find people form turns to **** after the first 2 or so reps, so it's a good idea to take a second to reset your form.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thus the name: Dead lift. It needs to come to a dead stop before continuing.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Most certainly, it should start from a dead-start. Also, if you are controlling the weight enough on the way down for it to be a light-tap, your form is wrong as well. The lift is completed after lock-out. You should be basically doing a controlled drop when lowering the weight. Don't worry about setting it down nicely, or not making noise...drop that weight to the ground, reset, and pull again.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Most certainly, it should start from a dead-start. Also, if you are controlling the weight enough on the way down for it to be a light-tap, your form is wrong as well. The lift is completed after lock-out. You should be basically doing a controlled drop when lowering the weight. Don't worry about setting it down nicely, or not making noise...drop that weight to the ground, reset, and pull again.
sorry but that **** isnt allowed at my gym.

i stop at 405 because the negative is a bitch

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Even though the lift is completed at the top and it's fine to drop the weight, you will get benefits from setting it down in a controlled manner. I forgot who it was that said it, but some incredibly strong deadlifter suggests setting it down as part of the lift during training.

Still, dropping it is fine too. Just remember if you set it down that it should be the exact opposite of picking it up, don't let your form turn to **** if you set it down.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I 2nd what most everyone has said... let the weight come to a complete rest on the ground and reset your form for another pull. Also, I would never simply drop the weight from standing height. Control the weight on the descent just as you do on the ascent. And keep good form when lowering the weight... should be nearly identical to your form when pulling the weight up. I see a lot of people lower the weight in a stiff-leg deadlift fashion with horribly rounded backs. OUCH!

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
Thanks for the advice everyone. Looking forward to DL day tomorrow

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I 2nd what most everyone has said... let the weight come to a complete rest on the ground and reset your form for another pull. Also, I would never simply drop the weight from standing height. Control the weight on the descent just as you do on the ascent. And keep good form when lowering the weight... should be nearly identical to your form when pulling the weight up. I see a lot of people lower the weight in a stiff-leg deadlift fashion with horribly rounded backs. OUCH!

yeah, I'm not saying just open your hands, and let it drop. You still have to keep form, and controll the weight to the ground...just don't resist all that much, and do it quickly. I wish I could find the article, but I swear I read that almost all deadlift injuries happen in the decent.

RedneckDB

Awards
sorry but that **** isnt allowed at my gym.

i stop at 405 because the negative is a bitch
I think thats the same at every gym....thing is do they actively enforce it? Because they don't at mine and as much as I respect other users when I'm deadlifting/squatting its usually accompanied by various amounts of noise in some way... you gotta do what you gotta do - within reason of course

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
ok ive notived u can get away with "tap and go" say if your doing a 5 rep max or something it makes the set end quicker feel easier and more explosive.. but just wait till u gotta do a heavy as 2 rep pull u better bet its easier to pull once let it sit then pull again...theres no way with tap and go that u get the form u need on every rep

Cuervo Jones

Cuervo Jones

Awards
It also depends on the style of dead lifting. If you are purposely doing a Romanian style dead lift, you will start the movement from the top, and wont rest the weight on the ground.

~Cuervo

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
touch and go deadlifts are prob the easiest way to jack your back up, theres a reason pple use a platform

The eccentric portion of the deadlift puts an enormous amound of pressure on the lower lumbar spine so when pulling super heavy I would personally never try and slowly lower the bar to the ground