Running and becoming faster and fitter

mjdalegend

Awards
:banana: :bow28:

My current best time is 13:49 sec doing a 3km run i wanna get it down to 12 minutes within the next couple of weeks any ideas?

New legit time: 13:48
I stopped to tie my shoe laces in this one and stopped the time while i was tieing em: 13:38 so its an unfair advantage.

My new bestest time ever is.... wait for it... 13:25!!

Shane0Mac

Awards
run faster! but really just like in doing weights you have to work hard to get where you want to, there isnt a quick fix for it, YOU have to WORK for it.

also listen to some good tunes while you run to get you more pumped or imagine something is chasing you if you get what i mean.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Speed work! Intervals, sprints... high intensity sessions to build additional speed.

For some great ideas on workouts, check out CrossFitEndurance.com. They post a daily workout (only do 2-3 a week on top of weight training) and it will add a great amount of creativity to your workouts. Tabata hill sprints, reverse ladders, all out efforts, lots of different ways to train hard.

mjdalegend

Awards
run faster! but really just like in doing weights you have to work hard to get where you want to, there isnt a quick fix for it, YOU have to WORK for it.

also listen to some good tunes while you run to get you more pumped or imagine something is chasing you if you get what i mean.
Well i have been working for it, been training for nearly 3 months now just like 2 weeks ago my time was 16:08. But any way thanks for ur in and input and i dont have an ipod, used to have a really nice touchscreen phone but got broken at school now stuck with piece fo crap.

mjdalegend

Awards
Speed work! Intervals, sprints... high intensity sessions to build additional speed.

For some great ideas on workouts, check out CrossFitEndurance.com. They post a daily workout (only do 2-3 a week on top of weight training) and it will add a great amount of creativity to your workouts. Tabata hill sprints, reverse ladders, all out efforts, lots of different ways to train hard.
This is some good stuff thanks. :pokey:

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
beta alanine and cordygen 5 or v02 ultra would be two good supps for increasing ur endurance and oxygen capacity which could help u maintain faster pace throughout your run.

Shane0Mac

Awards
you have been given decent feedback. its up to you to work on it, there isnt any miracle in a bottle that you are looking for.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The only thing I can add on top of what highanda has already suggested is three things...

1. Do an occasional progression run... not sure if that's what it's really called, but pick a time or distance to run, begin the run and continuasly run faster, the closer to the end the faster you run, never slow back down. Often times you pick shorter distances to do this and make it longer each time.

2. If you are really doing a lot of running, every now and then you need to scale it back. Consider it recovery... you can not always just go longer or faster.

3. Grab a box of straws and suck it the fukc up. So many times it's the person's mind that holds them back when it comes to time or distance for runs.

Ironloo

well i dont know the distance of 3km but i know if you run with a weighted vest and beat your time when you take it off you will feel like a feather with unlimited endurance it hepled me go from 3 mile 20min. to 3mile in 17min.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
3 km equals 1.86 miles. There is 1.6 km to every mile. An easy guestimation rule is just take half of whatever the km amount is and you have the milage. It's not an exact method, but gives a rough idea.

On another note, running with weight vests etc certainly has it's place, but I recommend using extreme caution when doing so. It is very easy to over due or if your not ready yet can lead to some real injuries.

mjdalegend: Make sure you have the proper mechanics of running down before introducing weight vests. Just my opinion.

Curious, are your height and weight that's listed correct and what is your age?

Here are a few links to help with the mechanics of running as well and more, to include videos as well....

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#Run

http://www.anaerobicendurance.com/

Ironloo

yes weight and height age are correct and i agree about proper mechanics of running

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yes weight and height age are correct and i agree about proper mechanics of running
Haha, was wondering his height/weight, unless that is what you were answering. Wait, I'm confused..lol

mjdalegend

Awards
Haha, was wondering his height/weight, unless that is what you were answering. Wait, I'm confused..lol
my height and weight are correct maybe off my 1-2 lbs and maybe half an inch of height off.

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
Make sure you have good running technique, landing on the midsole and rolling off the ball of your foot.

Most of the power will come from your hamstrings and glutes.

If you are landing on your heels like I see a lot of guys doing you waste energy and risk injury.
Deadlifts (second only to squats for curing cancer) will build up your hamstrings/glutes and lower back - really boosted my running.

But dont try to run after a heavy deads day (like I did today!!!!)

Or you get home unable to stand up or move........

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established

I too found this very informitive. My distance running is terrible. Been trying to correct my form for about a week now since reading this. I tried the 20:10x8 tabata tonight and it was brutal.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I too found this very informitive. My distance running is terrible. Been trying to correct my form for about a week now since reading this. I tried the 20:10x8 tabata tonight and it was brutal.
Insane isn't it... 4 minute long workout, yet it will put you flat on your tail right afterwards. Once you do it for the first time however, you're hooked. Just like how you want to set a personal best on any lift, you want to set a personal best on the Tabata hill sprint. Glad to see that you're enjoying the WOD's! Get some!