Ruptured Achilles Tendon

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hi All,

Was wondering if any of you have ever ruptured your achilles tendon and if you opted for Surgery or Not?

Ruptured mine last night and am doing as much research as possible

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
i think it would depend on the level of severity. from small tears within the tendon to complete rupture. have you confirmed this with the Orthopedist and an MRI?

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yes, had x-ray and ultrasound

complete tear, my research on surgery vs non has taken me in different directions...

justinc

Awards
Mine completely ruptured last May. Had surgery a week after it happened and in 3 months I was back to work. I would recommend getting the surgery. The healing time is about the same wether you get the surgery or not. The thing is, it will be less likely to re-rupture (only about 5%). If you don't get the surgery the re-rupture rate is about 20% I believe. Plus it is recommended if your young or have an active lifestyle to get the surgery. Any questions just ask. Good luck with your recovery.

stupidsable

Awards
Mine completely ruptured last May. Had surgery a week after it happened and in 3 months I was back to work. I would recommend getting the surgery. The healing time is about the same wether you get the surgery or not. The thing is, it will be less likely to re-rupture (only about 5%). If you don't get the surgery the re-rupture rate is about 20% I believe. Plus it is recommended if your young or have an active lifestyle to get the surgery. Any questions just ask. Good luck with your recovery.
I ruptured mine on December 22, 2010, and had surgery on Dec. 30. Had cast all of January and walking boot all of February. I am walking, albeit with a bit of a limp, but have started doing some exercise again and getting around. My doc told me I had a choice of surgery or no surgery and he said the difference is: with surgery, chance of reinjury is 1 in 20 and without it is 1 in 5. That made it an easy choice.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dirtysanchez Injury / Rehab 10
Nutrition / Health 3
Powerlifting/Strongman 1
drivehard Training Forum 7
Supplements 2