speed and quickness trainning help.

NattyT

NattyT

Awards
  • Established
Hello I am looking for any one with knowledge on speed and quickness trainning tips. I will be playing some semi pro football this spring and I am getting back into trainning, I have always done pretty well with my trainning but I am looking for any extra input. I went out to Norter Dame today and did some sprints and cardio to see where I am at, not bad but need to tune it up.

I am currently 230 pounds and am cutting to 215 and maintainning as much strength and mass as I can which should not be hard. I am going to get a timed 40 yrd dash some time next month, im not a big fan of 40 yrd dash times when it comes to sporst because its 70% technique and 40% natural speed.

I will also be switching my liffting up frome heavy to lighter more exsplosive work loads and im open to all input in that area as well also trying to gain my flexebilty back. Once again thanks for your input. God Bless.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Here is a decent article on developing speed:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/speed_development.htm
They actually have many articles on it in this section:
Elite FTS Sports Training
Still there are two basic ways to get faster. One is to get stronger lifting maximal weights, and the other is lifting submaximal loads as fast as possible to increase rate of force development.
A westside barbell type training program could be very helpful in making you faster. Of course it really depends on what you need to focus on improving most. Still I would look through those articles in the sports training section, it should be of great help in figuring out what's best for you.

Gonzo14

Gonzo14

Awards
  • Established
The 40 is a test to see who can get to their top speed the fastest. I'm not that fast of a guy, my 60 is a 7.4,7.5 but I can beat someone who runs a 6.9 -7.0 because my legs are much more explosive.
You want to work on your hip flexors. They need to be flexible, and strong. Sled pulls are great on working on sprinting form, as you alwasy want your chest over your knees, once you start standing up straight, your going to be moving slower.
Good moves to work response and quickness is start sprints in different positions. Start sitting, in push up position, laying on your back, ect.
Ladders, cones, all great drills you should be doing, which i'm sure your familiar with.

In the weight room you have the right idea. Move as much weight, as fast of you can. any olympic lift is great to do. and fourm of cleans, jerks, spilt jerks, all great.
While size and weight are important work strength, 5x5 works best for me.
And stretch, stretch stretch, yoga is great a lot of pro teams do it, I do it, if your as flexible as me, sometimes i feel its more of a workout then chest day is.
Good luck.

NattyT

NattyT

Awards
  • Established
Here is a decent article on developing speed:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/speed_development.htm
They actually have many articles on it in this section:
Elite FTS Sports Training
Still there are two basic ways to get faster. One is to get stronger lifting maximal weights, and the other is lifting submaximal loads as fast as possible to increase rate of force development.
A westside barbell type training program could be very helpful in making you faster. Of course it really depends on what you need to focus on improving most. Still I would look through those articles in the sports training section, it should be of great help in figuring out what's best for you.
Thanks alot, ill be looking over these tonight.

NattyT

NattyT

Awards
  • Established
The 40 is a test to see who can get to their top speed the fastest. I'm not that fast of a guy, my 60 is a 7.4,7.5 but I can beat someone who runs a 6.9 -7.0 because my legs are much more explosive.
You want to work on your hip flexors. They need to be flexible, and strong. Sled pulls are great on working on sprinting form, as you alwasy want your chest over your knees, once you start standing up straight, your going to be moving slower.
Good moves to work response and quickness is start sprints in different positions. Start sitting, in push up position, laying on your back, ect.
Ladders, cones, all great drills you should be doing, which i'm sure your familiar with.

In the weight room you have the right idea. Move as much weight, as fast of you can. any olympic lift is great to do. and fourm of cleans, jerks, spilt jerks, all great.
While size and weight are important work strength, 5x5 works best for me.
And stretch, stretch stretch, yoga is great a lot of pro teams do it, I do it, if your as flexible as me, sometimes i feel its more of a workout then chest day is.
Good luck.
Thanks Gonzo, ive been hitting up my olympic lifts a lot. exspecially clean and press, they just tear my wrist up when I go 225 or higher. I am a pretty thick dud with a broad chest so I cant roll my arms back to where I catch the bar with a flat palm and and my fingers. I catch in my palm and it puts a lot of stress on the wrist but I love em. Im defenently gonna start stretching every morning for 15-20 minuts. Thanks Bro.