Alternatives to gym days

redline2101

Awards
I lift way too much and I tend to overtrain b/c I have an almost unsatifiable urge to train. Id liek to train 3 days a week, so for the T/Th days what could I supplament a lift with. I was thinknig cardio, b/c i've lost alot of ab definition bulking, howefer I dont want it to INHIBIT muscular gains. I was thinknig maybe stretching as I'm not doing MMA anymore and not going back for a few more months? Would this inhibit me in any way? Id think it would assist healing if anything?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I lift way too much and I tend to overtrain b/c I have an almost unsatifiable urge to train. Id liek to train 3 days a week, so for the T/Th days what could I supplament a lift with. I was thinknig cardio, b/c i've lost alot of ab definition bulking, howefer I dont want it to INHIBIT muscular gains. I was thinknig maybe stretching as I'm not doing MMA anymore and not going back for a few more months? Would this inhibit me in any way? Id think it would assist healing if anything?
You should be stretching every day if you can, even if it's only 10-20 minutes, or the muscles that you've worked that day. Stretching is NOT going to inhibit anything; it should actually HELP progress, as you will be stretching your fascia. Just remember to do it when you are WARM, such as after training or a hot shower, etc.

As far as training on non-resistance training days, make sure that you have at LEAST ONE day OFF EVERYTHING. The rest you can do cardio in. I recommend ~20 minutes of HIIT cardio.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

bigdave

bigdave

Awards
yoga, hitting the heavy bag, abs and lagging bodyparts is what i do non "training" days

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
yoga, hitting the heavy bag, abs and lagging bodyparts is what i do non "training" days
X2 plus you can have some fun and play some road hockey or basketball with the boys. Go for a hike in the wilderness etc. Get outdoors!

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
You can do "feeder" workouts. Basically you just want to get bloodflow into the muscles you worked the day before. Just do light weights, for higher reps. Remember, you just want to get the blood pumping, you are not trying to tire out the muscles. This should help speed recovery, just don't go overboard with it.

redline2101

Awards
I like alot of these ideas. I have started stretching daily. Once it gets above 20 degrees outside I'll go out more, but right now i's just kind of annoying out. I used to have a heavy bag, that was sooo much fun and good cardio, but I kicked it and snapped the steel thing holding it up :/. The feeder workout idea is something I'd love to do, so for now stretching and "feeder" workouts. Thanks alot guys.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Work on mobility and muscle imbalances. Like external rotars and lower traps rhomboids. Hip mobility,ankle mobility. Foam rolling and stretching add some complexes to the mix.