military press: dumbells vs. barbell?

illgixxer

Awards
  • Established
I have been doing military press with dumbells a very long time and I was wondering if it could be beneficial to switch to barbell? By barbell their are two types I mean. Either with the 90 degree chair under the smith machine or their is also a seated rack for military press using a barbell which I feel less comfortable doing without a spotter. The only thing that seems like a downside is with dumbells the weight is in line with your sides/head, with a barbell obviously you have to come in front of your head so you don't hit it, making it somewhat like an incline bench motion, but obviously much more incline.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been doing military press with dumbells a very long time and I was wondering if it could be beneficial to switch to barbell? By barbell their are two types I mean. Either with the 90 degree chair under the smith machine or their is also a seated rack for military press using a barbell which I feel less comfortable doing without a spotter. The only thing that seems like a downside is with dumbells the weight is in line with your sides/head, with a barbell obviously you have to come in front of your head so you don't hit it, making it somewhat like an incline bench motion, but obviously much more incline.
I do both, doing both seated (Smith Machine and Seated Rack) and standing (Military Press, Push Press, etc.) barbell work. They each have their benefits in one's training programme and I find that my anterior delts have become more developed since adding in barbell work.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Try standing in a power rack. Set pins at shoulder height and press like seated ones. My old gym had a full bar that had a horseshoe in the middle. I would do seated presses with the hoop to the back. It would allow your hands to stay to the side and not have to lean back to miss your face. I miss that bar!

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Use both as there are benefits to each. DB=more range of motion. BB=more weight, more mass.

HawaiianPride

HawaiianPride

Awards
^Yep.

DB = stabilizers come into play
BB = restricted range of motion

Learned this from Layne Norton. Since then it's been DB all the way.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
ALWAYS incorporate standing military press into your shoulder routine,you will gain unbelievable shoulder size and strength. I love push presses too. Though as was said DB presses have their benefits too.

HawaiianPride

HawaiianPride

Awards
Incorporating both is a great idea. But sticking to one or the other will eventually lead into adaptation. Go with one method, deload, then go to the next.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been using Military Press for my 5/3/1 routine, and seated DB press for a shoulder accessory movement. MP has always been a weak lift for me, but this has definitely been helping.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Incorporating both is a great idea. But sticking to one or the other will eventually lead into adaptation. Go with one method, deload, then go to the next.
Thats not true at all. Its a misconception. Unless you stay doing the same weight/reps and never change it up. I rarely do DB presses and have never stagnated when I am training hard and focusing on my diet.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
IME its best to use 2 "opposite" lifts, like standing military and seated DB or Standing db military and seated military. I get stuck quickly on standing exercsises. May not work for everyone but it works for me

HawaiianPride

HawaiianPride

Awards
Thats not true at all. Its a misconception. Unless you stay doing the same weight/reps and never change it up. I rarely do DB presses and have never stagnated when I am training hard and focusing on my diet.
That was my point in adaptation.

Future

I do both, doing both seated (Smith Machine and Seated Rack) and standing (Military Press, Push Press, etc.) barbell work. They each have their benefits in one's training programme and I find that my anterior delts have become more developed since adding in barbell work.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT
Variety is the spice of life. Cant go wrong with that.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
That was my point in adaptation.
Well your point was the exercises themselves causing adaption actually, but yes changing up your reps/sets/weight is paramount regardless of what your exercise plan is. I'm sure we have all seen the same guys come into the gym doing the same thing,same weight same reps and never change themselves. I am a firm believer in pushing yourself beyond what you think you can do to achieve maximum results, whatever the plan is.:006:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
u_e_s_i Training Forum 4
whaz Training Forum 17
Training Forum 24
Training Forum 2
Training Forum 12