Jumping Rope???

chuebner

Awards
I hate running, I absolutly hate running. My shin splits alone are enough to make me not want to even start on a treadmil or outside. For cardio, I usuallly walk. I go about 25-30 on and incline. I feel like I could be doing something different to switch things up.

Anyone jump rope?? Is it worth it? I am thinking maybe even P90X on cardio days...just to get some fatloss to finally happen.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hate running, I absolutly hate running. My shin splits alone are enough to make me not want to even start on a treadmil or outside. For cardio, I usuallly walk. I go about 25-30 on and incline. I feel like I could be doing something different to switch things up.

Anyone jump rope?? Is it worth it? I am thinking maybe even P90X on cardio days...just to get some fatloss to finally happen.
Walking is not really cardio, unless you're NOT used to exercise or you walk extremely FAST.

Skipping is a very effective mode of cardio, next to running IMO for working your entire body. I personally do a lot of skipping (see my Training/Supplementation logs). I rarely skip more than ~20 minutes, and I almost always do it HIIT (i.e. with efforts and rest intervals). It's definitely effective for fat loss (provided your DIET AND THE REST OF YOUR TRAINING is on point).

Also, if you have "shin splints" - this is a very broad term that covers a variety of injuries related to the lower leg, including but not limited to medial tibial stress syndrome, compartment syndrome, etc. - then I highly recommend that you:
a. Find out what it is that you have specifically, and
b. Start rehabbing your injury.

If you want to switch things up re cardio then you can also use the following options (they won't stress your lower legs):
* Cycling (or stationary cycle)
* Cross-trainer
* Gazelle
* Rower
* Swimming

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

chuebner

Awards
Thanks for that answer. When I do walk its at like as fast as I can go without running. I can work up a sweat....but I completly agree with you. My gym only has the horizontal bikes....the ones that its like your sitting in a chair, reclining ( I hate those)

Whats your thoughts on jumping rope then?? I'd give you a long story, but I will simply put, I have limited things to use as far as gym stuff.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you get shin splints from running, you'll probably get them from jump rope. I get them in my shins periodically and don't jump rope for cardio for that reason. I like to use them as part of a conditioning drill, but not as my sole source of cardio. To ease the monotony, you could try breaking your cardio up into segments. Perhaps 60 seconds of jump rope, 60 seconds of jumping jacks, and 1/4 mile jog? Repeat this 4-6 times.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for that answer. When I do walk its at like as fast as I can go without running. I can work up a sweat....but I completly agree with you. My gym only has the horizontal bikes....the ones that its like your sitting in a chair, reclining ( I hate those)

Whats your thoughts on jumping rope then?? I'd give you a long story, but I will simply put, I have limited things to use as far as gym stuff.
I mentioned this above already:
Skipping is a very effective mode of cardio, next to running IMO for working your entire body. I personally do a lot of skipping (see my Training/Supplementation logs). I rarely skip more than ~20 minutes, and I almost always do it HIIT (i.e. with efforts and rest intervals). It's definitely effective for fat loss (provided your DIET AND THE REST OF YOUR TRAINING is on point).
See my 2009 and 2010 Training/Supplementation Journals for examples of what I do when I skip.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
yes running would be a cardio exercise, walkin actually is more effective in burning fat believe it or not. you have to get in your targeted heart rate zone for optimal fat burning. you burn more carbs ,and protein if you run for a long time so if you want to have big muscles i wouldnt suggest running alot.

jump rope is excellent cardio

if you stick to walking at a moderate speed, you will have to walk for longer than 20 mins. as soon as you past that 20 min mark keep going because after that 20 mins of walking you will start burrning fat for energy.

so 25 min walk would = 5 mins of fat burning time.

and also you may get shin splints when you run because your stride is wrong.
your gonna want to focus on pushing off with your legs rather than lunging them forward and pulling. push push push

Last edited:
Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
...you have to get in your targeted heart rate zone for optimal fat burning...

and also you may get shin splints when you run because your stride is wrong...
You do NOT have to be in a specific "fat burning" zone re heart rate to effectively lose fat! Hence why high intensity training can be used for fat loss, more often MORE effectively than simply sitting at 50-60% of your maximum heart rate.

Shin splints can be caused by many factors, which do not include having a "wrong stride".

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes running would be a cardio exercise, walkin actually is more effective in burning fat believe it or not. you have to get in your targeted heart rate zone for optimal fat burning. you burn more carbs ,and protein if you run for a long time so if you want to have big muscles i wouldnt suggest running alot.

jump rope is excellent cardio

if you stick to walking at a moderate speed, you will have to walk for longer than 20 mins. as soon as you past that 20 min mark keep going because after that 20 mins of walking you will start burrning fat for energy.

so 25 min walk would = 5 mins of fat burning time.

and also you may get shin splints when you run because your stride is wrong.
your gonna want to focus on pushing off with your legs rather than lunging them forward and pulling. push push push
This is just wrong. You may have a higher percentage of calories from fat burned at a certain HR, but walking does not burn more fat.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is just wrong. You may have a higher percentage of calories from fat burned at a certain HR, but walking does not burn more fat.
Agreed this is the old school of thought that has been debunked for some time now.
HIIT and Sprinting actually burns more fat.

alexx33

Awards
Agreed this is the old school of thought that has been debunked for some time now.
HIIT and Sprinting actually burns more fat.

how would you do this on a treadmill? i think there's a setting where you spring for 2 minutes, then walk like 4-5 minutes, then sprint again and so on and so forth.

how does that sound for a good fat burning routine?

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
how would you do this on a treadmill? i think there's a setting where you spring for 2 minutes, then walk like 4-5 minutes, then sprint again and so on and so forth.

I got really spoiled, at my University the treadmills have a Interval button and you can set the JOG and the RUN speeds and just like JOG/WALK at low for 1minute and then press the button RUN and be more like real sprinting.

Those are top of the line and even the gym I go to just upgraded they didnt get that line.... so it is a little tougher on a treadmill of that kind as you have to do the numbers yourself.

HIIT is short like 15-40seconds all out and then recovery of about 1 minute or more depending on the speed.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

You can do HIIT however you want. So long as you are completing effort intervals - preferably going as fast as you can for the period of the interval) and having recovery (either stop or easy during) periods. You can do effort:rest ratios as 2:1, 1:1, 1:2, etc. Different ratios also work differently re endurance, speed endurance, etc.

Because HIIT is INTENSE if done correctly, if you're not used to it I recommend starting off with only ~20 second efforts, and doing 8-10 of them, gradually increasing either effort time or number of efforts as you can.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

alexx33

Awards
I got really spoiled, at my University the treadmills have a Interval button and you can set the JOG and the RUN speeds and just like JOG/WALK at low for 1minute and then press the button RUN and be more like real sprinting.

Those are top of the line and even the gym I go to just upgraded they didnt get that line.... so it is a little tougher on a treadmill of that kind as you have to do the numbers yourself.

HIIT is short like 15-40seconds all out and then recovery of about 1 minute or more depending on the speed.

we have one of those too at our gym, they just purchased it last week. i'm going to have to give this a try, it sounds like a great cardio workout.

rosie, i appreciate the comments as well, thanks.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
You do NOT have to be in a specific "fat burning" zone re heart rate to effectively lose fat! Hence why high intensity training can be used for fat loss, more often MORE effectively than simply sitting at 50-60% of your maximum heart rate.

Shin splints can be caused by many factors, which do not include having a "wrong stride".

~Rosie
Team APPNUT
yes weight training does tend to burn fat effectively because the more muscle the more calories you burn. even at rest.

tho your stride might not take the shin splints away totally it was just a suggestion because it has helped with me when i got them tremedously

listen dont jock it unless youve tried it for yourself. you will get a more athletic feel if you ran like that. dont squint your eyes in confusion while reading this thinking that i dont know what im talkin about. and try it for yourself. trial and error

Now i am gonna take your input on being stated that walking doesnt burn more fat that running because ive hear this from alot of ppl. so i learned something from you. ty ill do more research on that

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes weight training does tend to burn fat effectively because the more muscle the more calories you burn. even at rest.

tho your stride might not take the shin splints away totally it was just a suggestion because it has helped with me when i got them tremedously

listen dont jock it unless youve tried it for yourself. you will get a more athletic feel if you ran like that. dont squint your eyes in confusion while reading this thinking that i dont know what im talkin about. and try it for yourself. trial and error

Now i am gonna take your input on being stated that walking doesnt burn more fat that running because ive hear this from alot of ppl. so i learned something from you. ty ill do more research on that
It's basic Ex Phys. Google RQ and their related substrates.

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
I usually do some jump roping at home to some cardio .

mjdalegend

Awards
you only get shin splits cuz you not used to exercising with that much load on you legs, i was doing 3km every for like nearly 2 months i stopped for 1 week and the impact in my knees was enough for me to just give up working out all together but guess what i didnt give up and i feel pretty awsome i can do 3km in 12 min now. When i useed to skip i did like 4000 in one go, the next day my body was destroyed i kept doing it and ened up doing like 4000 every day, dude just do jogging and skipping in the end yoour body is really and i mean REALLY benefit.

mjdalegend

Awards
:1244: :bow28:
you only get shin splits cuz you not used to exercising with that much load on you legs, i was doing 3km every for like nearly 2 months i stopped for 1 week and the impact in my knees was enough for me to just give up working out all together but guess what i didnt give up and i feel pretty awsome i can do 3km in 13 min now. When i useed to skip i did like 4000 in one go, the next day my body was destroyed i kept doing it and ened up doing like 4000 every day, dude just do jogging and skipping in the end yoour body is really and i mean REALLY benefit.