Giving up Pre Workouts

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
ok so the last 25 days or so i was on winter break, was only lifting twice a week (i do powerlifting). And i took no pre workout supplements just generally went in and warmed up and had an ipod, i noticed ZERO strength losses or zero motivation issues. I think it saves me from overtraining too. Along with this im knocking out the fastfood which isnt often but usually a healthy option from TB or McDonalds or Subway etc.. This is saving me about 70-100 a month. but most of all i dont think ill feel any difference at all any negatives about not taking a preworkout strength wise?

cmkronen

Awards
thanks i was thinking of trying that b/c it doesn't seem to help me much either

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Pre workouts= stims, if you feel you need them, and enhanced longer lasting pump. Some come with beta alanine and creatine and that will increase indurance, strength and recovery... Then again, you could get some aakg, creapure and bulk beta alanine and you would be set in the pump, stamina, strength and recovery areas...

Bberforlife

Awards
Pre workouts= stims, if you feel you need them, and enhanced longer lasting pump. Some come with beta alanine and creatine and that will increase indurance, strength and recovery... Then again, you could get some aakg, creapure and bulk beta alanine and you would be set in the pump, stamina, strength and recovery areas...
This is good advice. Over time your body will get used to the stims and you could end up with adrenal fatigue.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
my preworkout is still 120g carbs 25g protein, and works better than any preworkout stim i've ever tried.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Taking breaks from stims and/or using them on an "as needed" basis is a good idea. They will eventually lose their efficacy and everyone should take a break from them for several months every year. I enjoy pre-WO drinks, but not typical kinds of drinks. I much prefer some ALCAR, chocamine, BA, citrulline, b vitamins, and some electrolytes. If needed, I'll throw in some Geranium along with some coffee or a LC Monster.

FreakSho

FreakSho

Awards
I said goodbye to preworkout supps about a year ago and havnt looked back. Most stimulants just give me a headache and make my heart race. I didnt like the feeling of not being able to catch my breath between sets. Most pw supps are junk anyway and can be quite spendy. I just make sure im properly hydrated and have had a good meal 1 or 2 hrs before i hit the weights.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use them very sparingly. Most I am on stimulants is 3-5 months our of the year. Only when I am losing body fat and need to extra boost in the morning to get up and get that cardio done. and even when i fo this I use low dosed like 100-200 mgs caffiene working by way up and 12 mg ephedrine or 10-15 mg geranium. I have a low stim tolerance and too much seems to make me stay awake longer than I desire.

codywaters

codywaters

Awards
my preworkout is still 120g carbs 25g protein, and works better than any preworkout stim i've ever tried.

THIS IS THE POST YOU NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TOO! all this bull**** in a bottle or a can will never compete with quality peri-workout nutrition.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
THIS IS THE POST YOU NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TOO! all this bull**** in a bottle or a can will never compete with quality peri-workout nutrition.
i had 4 pancakes and a protien shake this morning b4 lifting and was an animal... so im thinking that too.

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
this with p-slin is a good combo

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
The only time I use them is at work not really when working out...i will mix some alanine, creatine and aakg together on occassion but that's not really a prewo drink.

I went 5 yrs using them and then about 3 yrs not using them and never seen much difference besides sweating a lot and feeling like I had to piss my pants on every set of evey exercise....

Now a days 2tb peanut butter, glass of milk and 6 ounce breast is all I need plus something to hydrate myself. This 1hr before and I'm good to go.

j rad

j rad

Awards
I havent used a PWO supp in years, never felt it made much of an impact.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
nice :) i get 2-3 more reps with good preworkout nutrition, i hope it does the same for you.
my overall workout pace was faster and i do a PL style workout but my #s on assistance work were all up and had a good pump about to do it again for bench today

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
Does it make a difference if its liquid carbs or food carbs?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i do liquid calories pre and post, and eat solid food 1-1.5hrs before workout.