Abs every day?

TeddyNorcross

Awards
I currently do abs every day and I was wondering what people thought about this. Some treat abs like every other muscle and take time off and some dont. Any advice would be appreciated.

Chap

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Your abs are like any other muscle and can be overtrained.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I currently do abs every day and I was wondering what people thought about this. Some treat abs like every other muscle and take time off and some dont. Any advice would be appreciated.

Chap
Your core is going to be worked during most resistance training days as it is, provided you do the main compound lifts. There is no need to do specific abs work every day; nor is there a reason to do hundreds or thousands of reps each time one does abs either. Your abs ARE like any other muscle/s, and DO need some rest.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I neve do abs. I do a lot of standng exercises and squats and deads. I can feel my core getting worked. If anything flex for a bit While during cardio is all. If I want better. Abs I'll cut some fat.

swollwilliams

swollwilliams

Awards
  • Established
i think you can train abs nearly everyday as long as they aren't sore. i wouldn't go crazy and do 4 exercises and a ton of sets, but an ab circuit of 6-9 sets daily for stubborn abs is okay

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
every damn day! i always do abs unless they are sore.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'll train my abs in the gym when they feel fresh to me. If they're sore, I won't train them. This usually equates to about 3 times a week.

I usually do no more than 100 total reps for abs during any given ab workout. I'll switch up my exercises but I'll make sure each rep is deliberate rather than fast and choppy.

Also, practice your stomach vacuums! If you don't know what those are, then use Google. They've helped me quite a bit.

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
If usually do my abs every other day, just to give them a day off. I don't want to over train them.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
If you want to look like a lego block, work them out repeatably. But if you are a BBer that cares greatly for a good shoulder-to-waist ratio, you will be very selective on how and how much you workout your core.

thedawg3545

thedawg3545

Awards
you could do abs everyday for the rest of your life, but if u don't have your diet in check you'll never see results

TeddyNorcross

Awards
you could do abs everyday for the rest of your life, but if u don't have your diet in check you'll never see results
I know diet and low body fat % are the way to show good abs. I was just curious as to how others like to train the actual muscles.

SamuraiSid

Awards
I neve do abs. I do a lot of standng exercises and squats and deads. I can feel my core getting worked. If anything flex for a bit While during cardio is all. If I want better. Abs I'll cut some fat.
Same here.

Squats, Deads, Cleans, Pull ups all hit abs if done correctly.

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
When dealing with standard overall body comp. I feel that they should be cycled in the week. If you are lifting heavy in combo lifts (squats, deads etc.) your core needs to be strong and not overworked. You need these muscles to keep it together to move the weight and lessons the chance of injury.