DC Training For Beginners

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have recieved many many PMs asking me for the DC routine. I figure it will never end. So instead of the same process of digging it all up, I will make a copy/paste thread of the info I have. Not sure if this is a repost. I did a search and found nothing. So I hope this helps answers a lot of questions for those seeking out DC training. It is the best routine I have ever used and I will be sticking with it until I need change. Let this thread be used for discussion on DC so those reading this can learn all they can and better utilize the routine. This info comes straight from intensemuscle.com

Workout #1

How to do rest pausing: This is how it should be done every exercise.

Each rep is controlled down on the negative and steadily exploded up. Warm-ups are still done normal pace. One of the main things we do that really maximizes muscle growth is we always try to finish on the negative motion and not on the positive (If possible), meaning when you struggle up with your last hard positive rep and you are completely spent with no way of getting another positive you must lower the bar slowly again on the negative back to your chest or normal position and rack it. Or better yet have a spotter quickly pull it up and rack it so you don't have to move it while breathing. It really seems weird, but in time you will really see some results due to the extra cellular damage. If you subtracted that ½ rep from all your sets/exercises over a year then you lost out on some key lean muscle mass that could have been there. This goes for every exercise except quad and back thickness exercises

Every rest pause you do will be done somewhat like the following (hypothetical weight used) excluding warm-ups. 250 x Total Failure (Maybe 7-8 Reps) finish on the negative and rack it or have a spotter jerk it back up top. Then 15 deep breaths and hit it again to failure. Again finishing on the negative and rack it. 15 deep breast once again and go to failure once more finishing on the negative and rack it. Finally 15 deep breaths because static reps are next, which will be explained in each exercise if needed.

Remember warm-ups are just warm-ups so use them as such – don't let warm-ups tap into the strength that you will need for your rest-pause set. Also make sure your 15 breaths are deep and really sucking in that oxygen so you can get the maximum for your next 2 sets.

Chest:

Shoulder Grip Width or Slightly Wider Grip Low Incline on Smith Machine – Put the bench around 30 degrees and do warm-up sets then one rest-pause set of 11-15 reps. Then one set of Static Reps: Unrack the bar and bring it down to a point where you feel you have your max amount of power. Hold it there as long as possible doing short 2 inch reps and then hook the bar back onto the rack. Shoot for 30 seconds, I can't really get past 15 lol before I feel like crying.

Shoulders:

Seated Smith Military Press to Front – Only go down to chin level. Warm-up sets obviously then one rest-pause set of 11-15 reps. Then another static hold which will be done by holding the bar about 4 inches down from the top. Make sure you don't unrack the bar; keep it racked just push up on it so its off the holders but wont come crashing down on your when you get tired. You are shooting for 30 seconds again but no 2 inch reps this time. Just hold the weight in that position.

Triceps:

Lying Triceps Extension on the Floor (Sort of a skull crusher with a greater range of movement): Lie on the floor with EZ Curl Bar (warm-up sets first of course) – Bar is sitting on the floor right above your head on the floor. Extend up over your nose and then back down again to the floor. Don't rest the weight on the floor or slam it, just a soft touch and then back up. No static holds, and you want a rest-pause set 15-25 reps (over 20 would be best for elbow safety). Don't use any plates larger than 25 pounds so your range of motion is exaggerated. If you have knee wraps wrap your elbows for extra support.

Back Width:

Rack Chins – I absolutely love these!! – Find the widest smith machine you can, or a barbell in a squat rack if you need to, and put a flat bench 3 feet in front of it. Put the bar that you will be gripping a little under shoulder height and use wrist straps for grip. Put your grip as wide as you comfortable can, then place your heels up on the bench and cross your legs to take them totally out of the movement. Now do chin ups explosively up and 6 seconds down until you hit the full stretch; any rep that your chin doesn't go over or at least hit the bar doesn't count. Do a warm-up set and then have someone put a fixed plate barbell in your lap. After every rest pause mini-set the spotter grabs the barbell of your lap and you stand up to count your 15 breaths. Stay strapped to the bar during the counting just so you don't take extra time having to rewrap yourself. Get back into position after 15 deep breaths and then have the spotter put the barbell back on your lap. During the entire exercise your body will look like the letter "L" with a straight up and down torso. Don't lean back and turn this into an upside down bent over row. One warm-up straight set with no added weight done for 10-12 reps, and then one all our rest-pause set for 15 -20 reps with added weight. Just a normal rest-pause set of 15-20 reps with no added weight the very first time just to make sure you are getting it done right. Then do a 20 second static hold. Really push the stretch down at the bottom of each rep then explode up to the bar every time. Remember this, your ass is always even or lower than your feet, even at the top of the movement when you pull your chin up to the bar it is still lower than your feet. Your legs should be straight out but with a slight bend in the knee for safety reasons. You can rig this up where you don't need a spotter by getting a backpack and put 25 or 35lb plates down it while you do the rack chins. You can also wear your weight belt really loose and place a 35lb plate down the back of it or attach it to the belt with a chain etc. The best way by far is to just have a spotter take off and place the barbell on your lap once you get into position. Very important, when pulling up to the bar, arch your back and stick your chest out when you get your chin up to or over the bar. When descending down lean back slightly without an arch and flare your lats out. At the very bottom really flare your lats and almost hyperextend the stretch for a second and then arch your back slightly and explode back up to the top. Here is a video of it so you can see how it goes teamvasquezbodybuilding.com

Back Thickness:

T-Bar Rows – With a barbell in a corner of a room using a seated pulley row handle, or a machine like this http://www.building-muscle101.com/images/t_bar_rows.jpg. No chest supported T-Bar row, those things are useless as your breathing gives out before your back does. Just one straight set after warm-ups of an incredible brutal 10-12 reps. Use wrist straps for your grip, and use only 25 or 35lb plates so you have an exaggerated range of motion. Make sure you keep your chest out and back flat during these. If your back starts rounding then end the set right there on that rep. No stretching is needed after unless you feel that you really need it. Normally the stretching and statics during rack chins stretch it out enough, but if you do want to stretch it just hang from a chin-up bar with the widest grip possible and a dumbbell attached to your weight belt. Hang for as long as possible until you just cant stand it anymore, make sure you use straps during this stretch if you do it at all. The key during this stretch is to lean barely backwards and really flare out your lats while hanging.

Extreme Stretching:

You want to stretch after each exercise

Extreme Chest Stretch:

It's basically the bottom position of a flat bench fly held for 60-90 seconds with your sternum pushed up and out with your lungs full of air. Bring the dumbbells into the armpits and concentrate on getting your elbows as low as possible while forcing your chest upward. Your palms should be facing your pecs like they are when you do flys. Lay on the bench with your ass off of it which forces your chest to raise up even more causing even more of a stretch. The higher you force your chest up with oxygen and by pushing it up and up. I use around 70lb dumbbells but start it off with something comfortable like 40-50lbs until you get 60-90 seconds then go up. The key is to keep the dumbbells about shoulder width and drop your elbows downward and keep your chest high. Here is a pic of how the stretch should look.

Extreme Shoulder Stretch:

This will take a couple times to really get the hang of it. At a smith machine with the bar at chest level face away from it and reach back and grab the bar with an undergrip. Now slowly walk forward until you are up on your heels and it really starts to stretch. At this point roll your shoulders forward and downward like in the bottom position of a shrug. Hold for 60 seconds if you can, you will feel it in your shoulders, biceps and forearms if you do it right. But it will really hurt up in the front delt area. Again here is a pic of how the stretch will look.

Extreme Triceps Stretch:

This is basically a one arm dumbbell extension behind head seated. You can either sit on a flat bench with a barbell in rack pressing against your back to keep you upright, or a seated bench that has a short back. Your elbow is upward, back, and the dumbbell goes downward for 60-90 seconds. Push the dumbbell down with the back of your head if you can and lean back slightly. I would start with something comfortable like 40lbs. Here is another pic to help see how to do it.

Extreme Back Stretch:

Normally the stretching and statics during rack chins stretch it out enough, but if you do want to stretch it just hang from a chin-up bar with the widest grip possible and a dumbbell attached to your weight belt. Hang for as long as possible until you just cant stand it anymore, make sure you use straps during this stretch if you do it at all. The key during this stretch is to lean barely backwards and really flare out your lats while hanging.

Workout #2

Biceps:

Machine or freebar preacher curls. Warm-up sets and then a rest pause set for 15 to 20 reps. Then one static rep where you lower the barbell half way down and try to hold it there as long as you can. Try to get 30 seconds, but it will be nearly impossible.

Forearms:

Hammer curls with dumbbells alternation for a straight set of 12-20 reps each. Use wrist straps for grip.

Calves:

Seated calf raises. This is very important, make sure you do a warm-up set and then it's time to really murder them. It's a 20 second negative phase, meaning it takes 5 seconds to go from the very top to the very bottom (where you are feeling stretched) and then you stay at the bottom for another 15 seconds stretched out fully, and then explode back up again. That is one rep. So again, you go up on your toes explosively, then 5 seconds slowly back down into the stretched position then hold there for another 15 seconds. This is by far one of the most painful exercises but after the third workout like this you will already be able to feel and see changes. Start out with low weight the first time to feel your way through (Trust me on that!! Lol). You want to get a straight set of 10-12 reps. There are no extreme calf stretches, since you did it during the set,

Hamstrings:

Lying leg curl. Warm-up even better than normal on the hamstrings, just because it is so common to pull or strain this muscle group. You are going to shoot for a rest pause set of 20-30 reps, and then do 10 short static reps. The static reps consist of a 2 inch range of motion down at the bottom of the movement (basically where you start from). During the static reps, don't let the weight stack touch together at all. Come up 3 or 4 inches or so and then do your short range static reps without letting it touch. Make sure you flex your toes toward your shins the entire time of the movement and slightly point your toes inward. This will hit that inner quad/hammy. The part that will eventually be rubbing together causing a fire down there when you walk.

Quads:

Regular or Smith Machine Squats, it's your choice either way they are going to hurt. You are aiming for incredibly deep squats with your chest sticking out and your back straight the entire time. Do your warm-up sets, but they shouldn't be taxing on you at all. Don't go over 10 reps or under 6 for any warm-up set. Every rep should be done like this. Stick the chest out through the whole movement, keep your shoulders back and squat in between your legs; not with your knees out in front of you. The main key here is making sure you squat between your legs and not behind your knees. You shouldn't have a close stance at all. If you were to stand up right now and do a squat you would be in the middle of your legs. Not with your knees in front of you, that is how they should be done. After you are completely warmed up, it's time to really kick it into gear. You want one straight set basically to failure between 5-10 reps. Then after resting 3-5 minutes you are going to do another set with less weight, but still enough that it feels heavy and taxing for 20 reps or whatever failure is. The main thing is for that last set do not go below 15 reps no matter how dead you feel. The 20 rep set is the main key to the leg growth and trust me after doing this a couple of weeks you will once again be able to see results.

Very important that you do your squats deep. Meaning legs wider than usual and ass to the floor with no bouncing. Practice with your warm-up set for deepness. For your work sets please use knee wraps. Squats and all leg exercises are a controlled 2-4 seconds down. If you have bad knees, or they have ever given you problems then rub them down with a 16% menthol rub in an aloe vera base that you can get at any pharmacy for 3 bucks before training. This will get them fluid, warm, and ready to go. On your 20 rep set don't rush them and bounce up and down. Slowly sink down then come back up nice and controlled. Basically you will try to get to 12 reps then take a couple of deep breaths, knock out 2-3 more breathe and repeat until you hit 20. Just don't rerack the weights until you have hit your 20 mark.

Extreme Stretching:

Biceps and Forearm Stretch:

Stretch out forearms and biceps by facing away from a power rack reaching both arms back to the barbell which is around shoulder height with an over grip (opposite grip as the shoulder stretch – palms facing down). Now squat down slightly and hold for 45-60 seconds.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
continued

Hamstrings Stretch:

One set of stiff legged dead lifts with light weights (maybe 25-35lbs on each side of the bar) going as deep as you can and pausing down the bottom for 10 seconds for 6 reps. If you are really flexible, widen your grip so you have an even greater range of motion.

Quad Stretch:

BY FAR THE MOST PAINFULL STRETCH!!

FACE THE SIDE OF A POWER RACK AND SINK DOWN IN A SQUAT ONTO YOUR TIPPY TOES--HOLDING BOTH SIDES OF THE POWER RACK UPRIGHTS WITH YOUR HANDS--NOW SIMULTANEOUSLY STRETCH YOUR KNEES FORWARD AND A LITTLE BIT DOWNWARD UNTIL THE STRETCH REACHES THE PAIN LEVEL--TRY TO STAY THERE FOR 60-90 SECONDS (I KNOW ITS PAINFULL)

Face the side of a power rack and sink down in a squat onto your tip toes holding both sides of the power rack uprights with your hands. Now stretch your knees forward and a little bit downward until the stretch reaches the pain level. Try to stay there for 60-90 seconds.

CHEST
1)HAMMER STRENGTH INCLINE PRESS - CHEST HELD HIGH, SHOULDER BLADES PINCHED BACK (THIS WILL GET YOUR FRONT DELTS FROM TAKING ALOT OF THE LOAD)
WARMUP GOOD AND THEN REST PAUSE THIS FOR 11-15 REPS OK AND THEN TRY TO DO 10 SHORT STATIC REPS OR A STATIC HOLD FOR 10-20SECS AT THE VERY BOTTOM OF THE MOVEMENT AT THE VERY END....IF ANY MACHINES YOU USE ARE SELECTORIZED PLATE MACHINES, IN TIME YOU MIGHT HAVE TO DO WHAT ALOT OF MY OTHER STRONG TRAINEES AND MYSELF DO--I GET A CHAIN FROM HOME DEPOT ABOUT 2.5 FEET LONG AND PUT A CLIPHOOK AT THE END OF IT AND THEN I CHAIN A DUMBELL TO THE WEIGHT STACK--THIS CAN QUICKLY TURN A 300LB SEATED PRESS INTO A 420LBS SEATED PRESS

SHOULDERS
2)HAMMER STRENGTH SHOULDER PRESS ---DONE IN THE SAME FASHION AS CHEST ABOVE AND REST PAUSED OUT FOR 11-15 REPS (AFTER WARMUPS) THEN DO ONE STATIC HOLD AS LONG AS YOU CAN PROBALY NEAR THE BOTTOM OF THE MOVEMENT ON THIS ONE

TRICEPS
3)CLOSE GRIP SMYTHE MACHINE PRESSES-I WANT THESE REST PAUSED OUT TO 15-20 REPS (KEEP YOUR CHEST HIGH THROUGHOUT THE MOVEMENT WITH SHOULDERS PINNED BACK AND YOUR SHOULDERS WILL BE OK) NO STATIC NEEDED ON THESE---I LIKE PEOPLE TO DO THESE WITH THEIR ASS OFF THE END/EDGE OF THE BENCH SO IT KEEPS THEIR CHEST HIGH, WHAT I MEAN BY THIS IS YOUR BACK WILL BE ON THE BENCH BUT YOUR ASS WILL BE SLIGHTLY OFF THE EDGE OF IT, WHAT THIS DOES IS FORCE YOUR CHEST TO REMAIN HIGH THRUOUT THE MOVEMENT AND YOU WONT HURT YOUR SHOULDERS AT ALL --WRAP YOUR ELBOWS WITH YOUR KNEE WRAPS SEMI SNUG PLEASE ON YOUR WORK SET

THEN EXTREME STRETCHING FOR THE ABOVE BODYPARTS DONE AT THIS POINT
A) BOTTOM POSITION OF FLAT BENCH FLYE HELD FOR 60 SECONDS WITH STERNUM UP AND OUT
AND LUNGS FULL
B)TRICEP STRETCH
C)SHOULDER STRETCH

BACK WIDTH
1)ASSISTED CHIN MACHINE TO THE FRONT -USE WRIST STRAPS --DO YOUR WARMUP SETS AND THEN DO ONE ALL OUT REST PAUSE SET FOR 20 TO 25 REPS WITH LESS AND LESS ASSISTED WEIGHT OVER TIME -TAKE SOME RISKS SOMETIMES WITH THE LESSENING OF AMOUNT OF WEIGHT YOU NEED TO USE HERE OVER TIME--YOU MIGHT SURPRISE YOURSELF---THEN AT THE VERY END OF THE LAST REST PAUSE WE ARE GOING TO HANG DOWN THE BOTTOM AND DO 5-10 REALLY SHORT 2-4 INCH REPS RIGHT AFTER YOUR LAST REST PAUSE--OR WE CAN DO A STATIC STRETCH HOLD FOR 20-30 SECS--THIS IS GOING TO BE EXCRUTIATING-WORK THIS HARD!
ON THE REST PAUSE SET I WANT YOU TO REALLY PUSH THE STRETCH DOWN THE BOTTOM AND THEN TRY TO EXPLODE UP TO THE BAR ON EVERY REP. THE SAME CONCEPT IS USED AS OTHER BACK WIDTH EXERCISES--YOUR BACK IS ARCHED ON THE WAY UP AND THEN SLIGHTLY LEAN BACKWARDS AND FLARE YOUR LATS ON THE WAY DOWN TO THE REALLY DEEP STRETCH. IF YOU DONT HAVE AN ASSISTED CHIN MACHINE (MOST GYMS DO THOUGH) THEN i WANT EITHER A PULLDOWN MACHINE LIKE A PARAMOUNT PULLDOWN MACHINE OR FRONT PULLDOWNS (WIDE GRIP) DONE FOR 15-20RP WITH YOUR CHOICE OF STATIC (HOLD OR SHORT REPS) AT THE END

BACK THICKNESS-
2) DEADLIFT RACK PULLS WITH PINS AT BOTTOM OF KNEECAP LEVEL OR DEADLIFTS FROM THE FLOOR BUT ITS YOUR CHOICE-IF YOUR SERIOUSLY STRONG ON THESE (IF OVER 500LBS I WANT AN OVERHAND GRIP ONLY TO MAKE IT HARDER) IF BELOW 500LBS USE ONE OVERHAND AND ONE UNDERGRIP ON THESE PLEASE UNLESS AGAIN YOUR SERIOUSLY STRONG ON THESE--WHEN THAT TIME COMES WE SHOULD MAKE THE DECISION TO DO OVERHAND ONLY TO KEEP AWAY FROM INJURIES---USE WRIST STRAPS PLEASE AND ANY REP THAT YOUR BACK STARTS ROUNDING IS THE LAST REP WE ARE DOING----I WANT EVERY REP TO START WITH YOUR SHOULDERS BACK AND CHEST OUT AND KEEP THAT POSITION THROUGHOUT--AGAIN IF YOUR BACK STARTS ROUNDING THATS IT FOR THAT SET--AT THE TOP OF THE MOVEMENT ROLL/PULL YOUR SHOULDERS BACK (BUT ALWAYS AND I MEAN ALWAYS KEEP YOUR ARMS STRAIGHT WHEN YOU DO THESE)
--I WANT TWO STRAIGHT SETTED WORK SETS AFTER ALL YOUR WARMUP SETS--ONE FOR AN INCREDIBLY
BRUTAL 8-12 REPS AND THEN A HEAVIER SET OF 4-8 REPS AND AGAIN PLEASE USE WRIST STRAPS FOR YOUR GRIP. YOU CAN CHANGE THE ORDER OF THE TWO WORK SETS, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THAT. SOME PEOPLE LIKE TO DO THE HEAVIEST WORK SET FIRST AND THE SLIGHTLY LIGHTER ONE SECOND

ID LIKE SOMETHING LIKE THIS (HYPOTHETICAL WEIGHT)
WARMUPS
135 X 10
185 X 8
WORKSETS
225 X 11 TO FAILURE
275 X 7 TO FAILURE
OR WHATEVER WEIGHTS YOU WANT TO USE --THIS EXERCISE IS A KEY EXERCISE FOR US TO PUT ON AS MUCH MUSCLE TISSUE AS POSSIBLE.
REMEMBER THE BACK IS ARCHED OR AT LEAST FLAT ALL THE WAY THROUGH THIS MOVEMENT--I CANT SAY THIS ENOUGH IF YOUR BACK LOSES THAT ARCH YOU MUST STOP AT THAT REP--THAT IS THE RULE. GET YOUR EGO OUT OF THIS PLEASE AS THATS WHERE WE WILL GET HURT. I WANT A CONTROLLED NEGATIVE--NOT A 8 SECOND ONE BUT JUST CONTROLLED--LIKE 2 SECONDS DOWN. --YOULL SEE WHY I HAVE NOONE DO SHRUGS IN A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME---THERE IS NO 225LB SHRUG ON THE PLANET THAT MAKES A BIGGER TRAP THAN A 500LB RACK DEADLIFT/FLOOR DEADLIFT PULL FOR REPS (JONNIE JACKSON AND RONNIE COLEMAN HAVE PROVED THAT)

WORKOUT 4

BICEPS

1)STANDING ALTERNATE DUMBELL (WARMUPS AND THEN USE YOUR WRIST STRAPS AND GRAB THE DUMBELLS SO YOUR GRIP DOESNT GIVE OUT AT ALL)-----WE ARE DOING A REST PAUSE SET FOR 15 TO 20 REPS--YOUR PROBALY GOING TO COUNT ALL THE WAY TILL 30-40REPS (15-20 EACH ARM) BECAUSE YOUR DOING BOTH ARMS (ALTERNATING) REMEMBER-TO CURL FORCEFULLY UP AND 3-4 SECONDS DOWN NO STATIC NEEDED--MY PREFERENCE WOULD BE STANDING DUMBELL CURLS HERE

FOREARMS

1)PINWHEEL CURLS (DONE LIKE HAMMER CURLS BUT HANDS ARE HELD OUT 6 INCHES AWAY FROM THE SIDE OF THE BODY AND DUMBELL IS CURLED IN AND UP A INCH AWAY FROM THE CHEST AND FINISHING NEAR YOUR EAR--THE PALM OF YOUR HAND IS GOING TO BE CURLING UP NEAR YOUR STOMACH AND CHEST (ABOUT AN INCH AWAY) WHILE CURLING THE DUMBELL ALL THE WAY TILL ITS NEAR YOUR CHEEK ON SAME SIDE OF THE BODY----TRY TO CONTRACT HARD AT THE TOP WITH THE BOTTOM PLATE OF THE DUMBELL RIGHT NEAR YOUR CHIN---I WANT A STRAIGHT SET OF 10-12 REPS HERE--IF YOU WANT A PICTURE OF THIS I CAN SEND IT TO YOU HERE IS A LINK SO HELP SHOW IT

CALVES: CALF RAISES ON THE HACK MACHINE (TAKES A CERTAIN HACK MACHINE TO DO THIS BUT LETS SEE IF YOU HAVE ONE IN YOUR GYM THATS FEASBILE)---I WOULD LIKE A STRAIGHT SET OF 12 REPS AGAIN WITH THE 5 SECOND LOWERING AND 15 SECOND NEGATIVE--DO YOUR WARMUPS AT A NORMAL FAST PACE AND ONLY DO THE EXTREME HOLD STRETCHES ON YOUR ONE WORK SET JUST LIKE THE OTHER DAY 5 SECONDS TO LOWER AND THEN A 15 COUNT AT THE BOTTOM AND THEN UP ON THE BIG TOE --IF YOU CAN DO IT ON THE HACK (IF THERES A SPACE FOR YOUR HEELS TO SINK--THE HACK WORKS SO MUCH BETTER AND SMOOTHER---ILL LEAVE IT UP TO YOU THOUGH--IF NOT WE WILL HAVE TO GO WITH A STANDING CALF RAISE BUT THESE REALLY ARENT FUN ON THE STANDING--A BETTER OPTION WOULD BE A SEATED HORIZONTAL LEG PRESS WITH A SELECTORIZED WEIGHT STACK, OR SOME OTHER SIMILIAR KIND OF APPARATUS)--DONT DO THE 45 DEGREE LEG PRESS HERE, ILL HAVE YOU DO THAT ON THE LAST CALF DAY - ID RATHER DO THEM ON THE HORIZONTAL LEG PRESS OR A LEG PRESS (CYBEX?) THAT IS DIFFERENT THAN THE 45 DEGREE IF YOU HAVE ONE---IN MY GYM I HAVE 2 HACK SQUATS--ONE YOU CAN DO CALF RAISES PERFECTLY ON AND THE OTHER YOU CANT AT ALL--LETS TAKE A LOOK AROUND YOUR GYM AND SEE IF YOU CAN DO IT ON THE HACK--IF NOT SECOND CHOICE IS ANY LEG PRESS THATS NOT A 45 DEGREE, 3RD AND FINAL CHOICE WOULD BE STANDING CALF RAISE

HAMSTRINGS--

STANDING OR SEATED LEG CURLS DONE IN THE SAME SCHEME AS LYING LEG CURLS

QUADS

1)HACKS (OR WE COULD ALSO DO SMYTHE MACHINE SQUATS HERE DEEP)

WARMUP FULLY AND PROGRESSIVELY AND THEN FOR WORK SETS HIT A HEAVY HARD SET FOR 8-10 REPS TO FAILURE-AND THEN AFTER RESTING WE WILL HIT A SET FOR 20 REPS TO FAILURE WITH A LIGHTER BUT STILL HEAVY WEIGHT---I LIKE TO SEE PEOPLE GO DEEP WITH HACKS SO PRACTICE THIS WITH VERY LIGHT WEIGHTS FIRST (25 OR A 45 ON EACH SIDE AND GO DEEP TO FIND WHERE YOUR GROOVE IS--I LIKE PEOPLE TO HAVE THEIR FEET ON THE PLATE IN A SPOT WHERE AT YOUR DEEPEST YOUR HEELS JUST START TO RISE UP (1/16 OF AN INCH OR SO)--NEVER EVER EVER BOUNCE JUST SINK INTO THE CROUCH SLOWLY, PAUSE FOR A SECOND AND THEN COME UP)--DEEP HACKS PRODUCE A HUGE SWEEP WHILE PEOPLE WHO DONT GO ALL THE WAY DOWN WITH SQUATS AND HACKS PRODUCE TURNIP SHAPED THIGHS--BIG UP AROUND THE HIP AREA AND LITTLE MUSCLE NEAR THE KNEE AND NO SWEEP

HYPOTHETICAL EXAMPLE FOR DOING THEM

WARMUPS

25 ON EACH SIDE FOR 12

45 FOR 8

70 FOR 6

90 FOR 4(ALL THESE WERE WARMUPS)

WORKSETS:

115LBS OR WHATEVER WEIGHTS YOU DO (IM JUST THROWING HYPOTHETICALS OUT THERE) FOR AN ALL OUT ASSAULT ON 8-10 REPS (FAILURE OR DAMN CLOSE TO IT)-AND THEN FOLLOW THAT SET UP WITH ANOTHER WORKSET(AFTER RESTING AND GETTING YOUR BEARINGS) WITH A LIGHTER BUT STILL ALL OUT NO HOLDS BARRED SET FOR 20 REPS--HACKS CAN PLAY ON YOUR MIND SO GET DRIVEN, GET FOCUSED AND BUILD SOME WHEELS...USE KNEE WRAPS ON YOUR HEAVY WORKSETS! DO THE 20 REP SET CONTROLLED AND WITH A STEADY CADENCE (NO BOUNCING)--JUST AN UP AND DOWN CONTROLLED SET--YOULL PROBABLY SHOOT FOR 12 REPS AND THEN TAKE 3 DEEP DEEP BREATHS AND THEN DO 3-5 MORE REPS AND TAKE A COUPLE DEEP BREATHS ALL THE WAY UP TO 20 (ITS VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO GO ALL THE WAY TO 20 STRAIGHT WITHOUT GETTING SOME BREATHING OXYGEN RESTS IN THERE)

Workout 5

Chest – Smith Decline Press – Warm up sets then a rest paused set for 11-15 and then static's just like the other 2 chest exercises done. Then extreme stretching like normal.

Shoulders – Smith Behind Head Press – DO NOT GO DOWN PAST THE TOP OF YOUR EARS. You are going to want to do a couple of super light warm up sets to get ready. Then one rest-paused set for 20-30; we keep them high for safety reasons. Static's just like the regular smith shoulder press. Don't unhook the bar for safety reasons. Then extreme stretching like normal.

Triceps - Reverse Grip Smith Machine Presses - On a flat bench you want these rest-paused 15-20 reps after warm-up sets. Keep your chest high throughout the movement with shoulders pinned back and your butt off the end of the bench with only your back on it so it totally takes the front delts out of the movement. Again no static's needed for these. I normally put my hands about 4 inches wider than my shoulders, but place them where it feels natural; you might even have to widen the grip. Since it is on a smith machine, you don't have to grip the bar very tight. I actually only grab the bar right with my thumb and forefingers and the bar lays across my palm at an angle. My pinky and ring finger hardly grip the bar. Extreme stretching for triceps afterwards.

Back Width – Hammer Strength ISO Lat Pull downs – You are going to want to need your wrist straps for these. Do your warm-up set/s first and do a set of 11-15 rest pause sets. When doing these you want to pull forcibly down to your chin with your chest sticking out, and then on the return up to the top flatten your back a slight bit and lean backwards very slightly and let the lats resist 6 seconds up to the top again. You then want a 10-30 second static in which you pull the handles down about 4 inches and hold flaring your lets outward until they feel like cramping.

Back Thickness – Overhand Bent Over Rows on Smith Machine – You want to do a straight set of 12 brutal reps with these.

Workout 6

Biceps - EZ Bar Curl – But you are going to do them a different way. With a normal width grip, curl the weight up. Make sure your chest is sticking out and your shoulders are pinned back. Once the weight is curled up, you want your elbows to drift backward and let the barbell slightly slide down your chest and stomach until your arms are fully straight again. Warm up sets and then a hard rest pause set of 15-20 reps.

Forearms - Reverse grip cable curls with one arm – You want to use the handle that comes with the cable crossover attachment. This is basically a one arm reverse curl, except that you want your wrist to keep from sagging at all. Flex your hand upward at the beginning of the movement. So basically it is like this. Your arm is completely straight with the pulley at your feet. If there isn't enough tension then take a couple steps back to put tension there. Flex your wrist/hand upward and then curl to the top and then resist 4 seconds down. A straight set of 12-20 on these, then extreme stretching.

Calves - 45 degree leg press calf raise – Do a warm up set or 2 and then knock out a straight set of 12 done just like the other calf exercises. Explode up then 5 seconds down and 15 second deep stretch.

Hamstrings - SUMO Ham Presses – You want to get on the leg press, and push with your heels. Your toes will be off of the leg press plate basically in the upper outer corner. If that doesn't feel comfortable then find some way to place you feet. The main thing is that you want to make sure you are pushing through your heels and not your toes. You want your feet wide and slightly pointed outward. Try to go as deep as possible, but don't let your back round up at the bottom at all. You are going to knock out a straight set of 12-20 reps keeping your feet flexed back toward your shins. You wont have a super pump going on after the exercise, but trust me it will make them grow.

Quads - Leg Press – Do a couple warm up sets to get really warm before you hit these. These are done just like the other quad exercises. One super heavy set for 6-10 reps, then another set after 3-5 minutes of rest of 20 reps.
CHEST STRETCH

SHOULDER STRETCH

TRICEP STRETCH

LAT STRETCH

BICEP/FOREARM STRETCH

HAMSTRING STRETCH

QUAD STRETCH

punthra

punthra

Awards
  • Established
Nice post Met....

ConcreteConny

ConcreteConny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great post indeed!! Good info man!

//CC

SmallTownIron

SmallTownIron

Banned
Awards
Very nice! Thank your for all this valid information. DC is by far the best concept for adding mass. I noticed a difference the mass that was being put on my body with 3 weeks of training.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
its a nice balance of size and strength. i remember the greatest comp changes happened the week i took off... If I was to stop PL routines for my workouts, I'd definitely be doing DC.

Future

I think the biggest misunderstanding is people think that you just eat whatever. If you want to get fat that is on you. I train at the same Golds as Dave Henry and his training partner. Neither is EVER fat. They eat clean and intelligently.

Bulking seems to be a license to get fat. That is up to the individual AND NOT the training scheme.

Future

Beginners should be careful with the stretches as well. I recommend passive stretching to start off with. The biggest thing of the training is to learn to push yourself to TRUE failure in good form.

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
Beginners should be careful with the stretches as well. I recommend passive stretching to start off with. The biggest thing of the training is to learn to push yourself to TRUE failure in good form.
Truth.

I never had a real physique till I learned what "good" form really was.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good advice guys. Def start on the low end of your stretches and work your way up. My chest stretch has gone from 30 to 70's in like 8 months. No way I could have done that much weight back then...def takes some time.

..and I agree on the diet. I unfortunately learned the hard way and am now peeling off the fat. Good diet, light cardio, and 3x/week DC will get ya lookin sexy! :yup:

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
DoggCrapp training, it's like Crossfit for bodybuilding.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
deep brah!

Porty

Awards
David Henry Who? ... :p /quick edit, i just saw the "and he's all natural" line... pardon me, but HAHAHA.

FanFukinTabulous post Met....bookmarked and subbed for sure...

I love the way the routine is layed out, but I don't really understand the physiological benefits of the Statics "reps," while the rest-pause and stretching are obvious.

I have read a bit about certain static strategies, especially in racks, this training regiment really seems to put weight in it. Do you feel it has such a large impact to warrant using *all* of your remaining energy and strength for the concluding set? I'm very interested in this and am strongly considering it for my next macro-cycle.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
David Henry Who? ... :p /quick edit, i just saw the "and he's all natural" line... pardon me, but HAHAHA.

FanFukinTabulous post Met....bookmarked and subbed for sure...

I love the way the routine is layed out, but I don't really understand the physiological benefits of the Statics "reps," while the rest-pause and stretching are obvious.

I have read a bit about certain static strategies, especially in racks, this training regiment really seems to put weight in it. Do you feel it has such a large impact to warrant using *all* of your remaining energy and strength for the concluding set? I'm very interested in this and am strongly considering it for my next macro-cycle.
On your questions about the static reps, here is something that oughta answer you question: http://www.bodybuildingweb.net/blog/negativeeccentric-reps-compared-to-positiveconcentric/
And yes, you will want to go balls to wall with your last 3 rest pause sets. You need to push yourself farther than you think you can even go. At the end of each rest pause set, you need to not be able to even move that weight off your chest. You should be curled up into the fetal position, at the end of every rest pause set. Remember the breathing is very important in DC. You need to get as much oxygen possible to your muscles. A member here on AM by the name of Mr. Kleen also recommended this technique to me. Where, during your heavy breathing, in between your working sets, you exhale as much as you possible can. I mean weazing. I do this at my 10 deep breath and then take in a HUGE deep breath on 11 and continue to do so until 15 deep breaths. Then, rip into my next rest pause set. It's hardcore :yup:
Spoken from the under 200 lb crowd ;)

HATERS! LOL
:28:
Found these documents online. Metro let me know if you don't want these in your thread. I have not read all of them yet, but seems like good info to add value to this thread.
get this sh1t out my thread you wanker!!! :sly: I kid man. All info is welcome in here. I started this thread to try and help newbs to DC out. I get SOOOOO many PMs on info for DC, so any and all info is welcome. :)

punthra

punthra

Awards
  • Established
David Henry natural??? Ronnie didn't use juice either.....lol!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
David Henry natural??? Ronnie didn't use juice either.....lol!
Well, as far as being natural his whole life I make no claims or assumptions. However, as far as him being natural while enlisted in the military? I believe it, for the most part. Yes, I realize tons of people juice up in the military and I know how the drug testing system works, but when you are a man of his size and stature you do start getting tested and when you represent the United States military in such a public forum as he does, they like to ensure they will not be embarrassed. The differance from the military's drug testing and the IFBB is that they can and do test at anytime of the year, not just a certain window allowing people to juice in the "off season".

But in regards to ever? Who knows, prolly has.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
I think the biggest misunderstanding is people think that you just eat whatever. If you want to get fat that is on you. I train at the same Golds as Dave Henry and his training partner. Neither is EVER fat. They eat clean and intelligently.

Bulking seems to be a license to get fat. That is up to the individual AND NOT the training scheme.
Lol i agree 100% 4k cals isnt always 4k cals ya know?

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
Well, as far as being natural his whole life I make no claims or assumptions. However, as far as him being natural while enlisted in the military? I believe it, for the most part. Yes, I realize tons of people juice up in the military and I know how the drug testing system works, but when you are a man of his size and stature you do start getting tested and when you represent the United States military in such a public forum as he does, they like to ensure they will not be embarrassed. The differance from the military's drug testing and the IFBB is that they can and do test at anytime of the year, not just a certain window allowing people to juice in the "off season".

But in regards to ever? Who knows, prolly has.

no disrepect intended here copycat...but if you truly believe david henry is natural then i have a bridge in brooklyn id like to sell you.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
no disrepect intended here copycat...but if you truly believe david henry is natural then i have a bridge in brooklyn id like to sell you.
I truly believe that the military hates embarrassment and him being found out to be on steroids the whole time would be a massive embarrassment. Especially with the amount of attention he gets in and out of the service. Not saying that he has never done steroids, just that he probably doesn't do them in the service.

By the way, there is a bridge in Brooklyn. It connects Manhattan to the western shore of Brooklyn.

Porty

Awards
Not saying that he has never done steroids, just that he probably doesn't do them in the service.

By the way, there is a bridge in Brooklyn. It connects Manhattan to the western shore of Brooklyn.
If he stopped using he'd probably weigh 160lbs and be half his size - just saying. I hate to argue this cause I have no way of proving, and probably sound like a douche doubting his physique - but I really believe there's no F'ing way he's maintaining that without juice, unless he joined the military yesterday or something.

And yeah, there's definitely a bridge - and mooch owns it. Hit him up for a price via paypal.

Now, SORRY to derail your thread Met! Carry on with DC stuff :food:

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
haha this is not my thread it belongs to you all. As long as we can use it to help others out, then it's all good :D

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Do you consider a "beginner" someone who is new to DC but otherwise experienced in the gym? Or beginner in the gym all together?

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good question. I consider a beginner someone who is new to DC. I DO NOT reccomend DC to beginners to training all together.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Haven't done any DC, but it looks like something I should try. Good thread, sir!

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good question. I consider a beginner someone who is new to DC. I DO NOT reccomend DC to beginners to training all together.
Thank you sir :cheers:

Met, is that you in the pics?

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
haha I wish man. Not even close in size. Not sure who that guy is. Was sent those pics for reference years ago.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I know, I'm just screwing with ya :trout:

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
bah!!! I hate your face!! Jus kiddin :cheers:

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm currently playing around with a DC/triple drop hybrid. It is unbelievable how well it is working. Though your body always responds well to changing things up.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
started my blast yesterday

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
:lol: jus playin...let us know how you like mang. I on the other hand am trying out a DC/triple dropset hybrid. Gains are getting rtard.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
just finished first week of dc blast. i know why a lot of people dont use this as it is extremely taxing but very satisfying

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
VERY taxing. If you dont take a break from it, you start get sick after about 10-12 weeks. After a few blasts you also start to feel very worn down. I def suggest taking a break from the routine for a month or two and doing something else after you run about 2-3 consecutive blasts.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
i plan on a 12 week blast the first time then see from there. ? for you metroba. can you format the routine based around four different workouts rather than six? it would still be mwf but youd be doing the same grou[p of exercises a little sooner.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well its not 6 exercises per muscle, it's 3. For example you have exercises A1 then B1, then A2 then B2, then A3 then B3. At 3x/week that's a 2 week rotation. Maybe I miss understood what you said but this is how this routine works best. I have tried different variations of it and trust me this is the best way.

So for all the A workouts pick 3 exercises for Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Back width and thickness.

For all B workouts pick 3 exercises for Biceps, Forearms, Calves, Hams, Quads.

So week 1:
Monday - A1
Wednesday - B1
Friday - A2

Week 2:
Monday - B2
Wednesday - A3
Friday - B3

Sorry if I didn't answer you question. If I didn't ask me again in a different way and we can go from there.

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
This info is great. I started dc training three weeks ago. I searched all over for info and examples so i could put my workout together. This will help me really get it together. So far all my lifts are up and endurance has improved. I'm seeing results quick. I'm not new to lifting and am surprised at how fast its working.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice man. Glad you are diggn it. The muscle density should kick in pretty soon.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
Well its not 6 exercises per muscle, it's 3. For example you have exercises A1 then B1, then A2 then B2, then A3 then B3. At 3x/week that's a 2 week rotation. Maybe I miss understood what you said but this is how this routine works best. I have tried different variations of it and trust me this is the best way.

So for all the A workouts pick 3 exercises for Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Back width and thickness.

For all B workouts pick 3 exercises for Biceps, Forearms, Calves, Hams, Quads.

So week 1:
Monday - A1
Wednesday - B1
Friday - A2

Week 2:
Monday - B2
Wednesday - A3
Friday - B3

Sorry if I didn't answer you question. If I didn't ask me again in a different way and we can go from there.
yes i have it set up that way. i gues my ? would be could you do
week 1
a1
b1
a2

week 2
b2
a1
b1

does that make more sense?

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
you could absolutely do it that way you will make bigger gains the other way. It gives you time to recover from one exercise as you excel in another..nah mean? You could go up 1 rep on db bench and go up 5lbs on iso press in 2 week or you could move up MAYBE 2 reps on db bench in 2 weeks. You would benefit more from the stimulation of 2 exercises where you move up 1 rep on 1 and 5-10lbs on another.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
i plan on a 12 week blast the first time then see from there. ? for you metroba. can you format the routine based around four different workouts rather than six? it would still be mwf but youd be doing the same grou[p of exercises a little sooner.
You don't plan on blasts like that, some will be short, some will be longer.

yes i have it set up that way. i gues my ? would be could you do
week 1
a1
b1
a2

week 2
b2
a1
b1

does that make more sense?
With only 4 to repeat you'd likely stall on exercises earlier and finish blasts earlier. Of course you can do it if you want to. But one need to be more careful with exercise selection. You probably wouln't want to do a form of a deadlift every A and a form of squat every B. Good luck