GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Ok little intro...
Stats 6'
bf 10.2%
weight ~180lbs
Been lifting for about 4-5 years

Anyways Ive tried various strength routines almost my time lifting, and currently doing 5x5. I absolutely hate it. Reasons being if you dont get all 5 reps, you suck. Im going to try DC because the rep adding / beating the log book is what Ive been doing for years without a rhyme or reason.

Id like to do A1 B1 C1 off off A2 B2 C2 off off
I want to split it like this because. I like to keep my workouts somewhat short/intense, 5x5 I was at the gym forever, I like being at the gym but I mean I wanna hit it hard and get out.

My gym is pretty basic, 5 power racks and limited machines so I want to keep everything simple well because I have to.

Im already applying most of the DC principles like morning cardio, carb cut off, super high protein 1.5-2g per lb. Anyways...

A is Push

B is Pull

C is Legs

A
1 Incline Smith 11-15 RP
2 Flat BP 11-15 RP
3 Dips 11-15 RP

1 Push Press 11-20 RP
2 Upright BB Rows 11-15 RP
3 Seated Military 11-20 RP

1 Close Grip BP 11-20 RP
2 Skulls 15-30 RP
3 Pushdowns 15-30 RP

B
1 Dead Lift 6-9+9-12
2 BB Rows 10-12
3 T Bar Row 10-12

1 Rack Chins 11-15 RP
2 Pullups 11-15 RP
3 Lat Pulldown 11-15 RP

1 Drag curls 11-20 RP
2 Spider curls 11-20 RP
3 Machine preachers 11-20 RP

1 Reverse curls 11-20
2 Hammer curls 11-20
3 Pinwheel curls 11-20

C
1 Squat 4-8 +20
2 Hack Squats 4-8 +20
3 Leg Press 4-8 +20

1 SLDL 15-30 RP
2 Good Mornings 15-30 RP
3 Glute Ham Raise 15-30

1 Standing Calf Raise 10-12
2 Seated Calf Raise 10-12
3 Machine Calf Raise 10-12

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Well DC training is only 5 exercises per workout. You have 9, which if you are going all out as layed out in DC, you won't be able to get through it all or you won't be able to recover well enough. ESPECIALLY LEG DAY! If you give it your all on your first exercise and leave nothing in the tank after the 20 rep widowmakers, you are lucky to get to the car, let alon do 2 more exercises including widowmakers.

The key to DC training is working each muscle group 3 times in 2 weeks. One exercise per bodypart per workout. You want to thrash each muscle but at the same time don't cross the line where you can't recover enough to do it again on 3 days rest. Just pick different exercises for the next workout.

Check out intensemuscle.com if you haven't yet, everything you need to know about DC. Check out the pound puppy forum and read the stickies because there is tons of info you need to set up a proper DC routine. I love DC since its concise and effective and allows you to trash your muscles just enough that you can do it again in the same week.

fightercowboy

fightercowboy

Awards
  • Established
Young i think he means the #1s are done in one workout #2s done in another workout. A1,1,1 B1,1,1 C1,1,1 A2,2,2 B2,2,2.....and so on. Otherwise you are correct.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Young i think he means the #1s are done in one workout #2s done in another workout. A1,1,1 B1,1,1 C1,1,1 A2,2,2 B2,2,2.....and so on. Otherwise you are correct.
yea thats what I originally planned but I just went to the a1 a2 b1 b2 M T R F scheme thanks for the help tho fellas!

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
go to intense muscle thats dc forum. all the info you could ever want

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would be carefull with that 4 day routine Geek...easy to overtrain on it. The MWF schedule put me back on track after burning out on the other. Personally, the 4 day routine is better for someone using gear.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
go to intense muscle thats dc forum. all the info you could ever want
lol Ive read almost every post what is a sticky, tons of good info!
I would be carefull with that 4 day routine Geek...easy to overtrain on it. The MWF schedule put me back on track after burning out on the other. Personally, the 4 day routine is better for someone using gear.
10-4 bud, thanks for the heads up. Ill experiment with it this month both 4 day and 3 day. The rat uses gear so Ill reccomend it to him later on when hez cycling ;)

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
You won't get a good feel for it if you try both ways in 1 month. I suggest plan a good 2 way blast for MWF. Go all out for 6-8 weeks which is 3-4 rotations. Go until your body needs a rest overall. Some guys with good recovery will go 10-12 weeks, so you have to listen to your body. Then you can plan a 3 way split for the rat when he's on. I think you will be surprised with the MWF if you set it up right without "conflicting" exercises and if you give it your all each workout.

Oh and learn the extreme stretches. Don't neglect them, and learn to do them properly so you don't hurt something doing them. Write up a routine and post it up.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
You won't get a good feel for it if you try both ways in 1 month. I suggest plan a good 2 way blast for MWF. Go all out for 6-8 weeks which is 3-4 rotations. Go until your body needs a rest overall. Some guys with good recovery will go 10-12 weeks, so you have to listen to your body. Then you can plan a 3 way split for the rat when he's on. I think you will be surprised with the MWF if you set it up right without "conflicting" exercises and if you give it your all each workout.

Oh and learn the extreme stretches. Don't neglect them, and learn to do them properly so you don't hurt something doing them. Write up a routine and post it up.
Thanks for the advice bro Ill def listen to you.

Ive been reading about the stretches and got a picture of each one on my iPhone, so I should be able to do them properly. Only one that looks a little akward is the quad one, but that looks easy.

Heres the 2 day split I was thinking on

A
1 Incline Smith 11-15 RP
3 Flat BP 20-30RP
5 Flat DB BP 11-15 RP

1 Push Press 11-20 RP
3 Upright BB Rows 20-30RP
5 Seated Military 11-20 RP

1 Close Grip BP 11-20 RP
3 Skulls 15-30 RP
5 Pushdowns 15-30 RP

1 Dead Lift 6-9+9-12
3 BB Rows 6-10+9-15
5 T Bar Row 6-10+9-15

1 Rack Chins 11-15 RP
3 Pullups 11-15 RP
5 Lat Pulldown 11-15 RP

B
2 Drag or BB curls 11-20 RP
4 DB curls 11-20 RP
6 Machine preachers 11-20 RP

2 Reverse curls 11-20
4 Hammer curls 11-20
6 Pinwheel curls 11-20

2 Standing Calf Raise 10-12
4 Seated Calf Raise 10-12
6 Machine Calf Raise 10-12

2 SLDL 15-30 RP
4 Good Mornings 15-30 RP
6 Leg Curls 15-30 RP

2 Squat 4-8 +20
4 Hack Squats 4-8 +20
6 Leg Press 4-8 +20

So order would be...
A1 B2 A3 B4 A5 B6

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Looks pretty good so far. Here are a couple tweaks I would make.

First move SLDL to your B4. Your low back will hate you for doing dead and SLDL 2 days apart. Switch your squat and hack squats for same reason. Pick a different hammie exercise, maybe a different leg curl or sumo leg press with your legs high and wide on the plate.

Do leg curl and hack squat for B2. SLDL and regular leg press for B4. Squats and leg curl for B6.

Maybe switch close grip bench and skulls. That way you don't have 3 pressing moves on A1 and only 1 press move on A3. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks good Geek and Young has great suggestions as well. One thing though, I believe you do the back width exercises before the back thickness exercises. So the pull downs, etc. would go before the deads. Reason being...after the deads you are friggin toast!! Same reason squats or quad exercises go last as well. Tear it up GeekyP!!

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Looks pretty good so far. Here are a couple tweaks I would make.

First move SLDL to your B4. Your low back will hate you for doing dead and SLDL 2 days apart. Switch your squat and hack squats for same reason. Pick a different hammie exercise, maybe a different leg curl or sumo leg press with your legs high and wide on the plate.

Do leg curl and hack squat for B2. SLDL and regular leg press for B4. Squats and leg curl for B6.

Maybe switch close grip bench and skulls. That way you don't have 3 pressing moves on A1 and only 1 press move on A3. Otherwise it looks pretty good.
Ok thanks for the suggestions, I didnt even look at the SLDL / DL thing tahnks for pointing that out!!!
Looks good Geek and Young has great suggestions as well. One thing though, I believe you do the back width exercises before the back thickness exercises. So the pull downs, etc. would go before the deads. Reason being...after the deads you are friggin toast!! Same reason squats or quad exercises go last as well. Tear it up GeekyP!!
Alright man, thanks for helping me out on that as well!! Yea after deads or squat its time to go lol!!

Thanks again guys!!

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
I have a guinea pig routine that is 3-4 days per week if you'd like to try it, but it does incorporate the 5x5 principles (if you are following them in the intended fashion)
if it isnt a hassle, post it up and Ill give it whirl in ~2months.

I followed the 5x5 the correct way, I set realistic goals that I already achieved and lowered them by 5lbs. Also was climbing at a 12.5% rate and 10% on Row/Delts

if its to much work or anything thats cool too ;)

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
2 months? whatcha got goin over the next little while? I'll post it up when you are ready to use it (not trying to be a jerk).
Yea its totally cool B.

Gonna try out DC for the 8 week blast, gonna put on some mass /strength thats my main goal if thats what youre wondering

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
gotcha. My plan incorporates DC and 5x5, but if you don't like 5x5, you pry wouldnt be much of a fan of my routine
Dang.

I didnt mind 5x5 I just found it "boring" sometimes. Also the workload, Id be getting tired near the 5rm. Ive been using the 10-15% warmup technique tho, digging that.

is only 5x5 was called 3x5 lol