deadlift grip

illgixxer

Awards
  • Established
I just started doing deadlifts again a week ago, and I started out being able to grip it with both hands the same(over hand), once I got past 225 lbs my grip starts to slip after only a few reps. Is it ok to do inverted(left under, right over) or will this build my muscles unevenly?

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I always grip "inverted" and never use straps, never had a problem with being uneven.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No, that's called a neutral grip and its perfectly acceptable. Muscle will not be built unevenly, body doesn't work like that. Just remember to switch grips every set and so on.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I do the same. Ill do a set of 185 and 225 with pronated grip. Once I am in the 300's I switch to the alternate grip.

Chops89

Chops89

Awards
  • Established
Same here. Right around 225 I have to use an alternated grip. Just switch up which hand is over/under from time to time like gamer said. I haven't noticed any uneven changes.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
No, that's called a neutral grip and its perfectly acceptable. Muscle will not be built unevenly, body doesn't work like that. Just remember to switch grips every set and so on.
Neutral grip ehy. didnt know what it was called. Its just how I was taught to DL. I dont even switch them to be honest, its not comfortable for me, not saying your wrong, just never seen a reason to as everything is fine.

RedneckDB

Awards
I prefer the 'left over, right under grip' as it feels more natural and when I switch to the next set and have a 'right over, left under grip' it feels more awkward even though I'm mirroring that of my first grip - Does anyone else have this?

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Everyone is a little more comfortable with a mixed grip one way. That doesn't mean you can't alternate in training though. It's not a bad idea to be able to switch to the opposite of your preferred grip in case at some point you have a minor bicep or shoulder injury that is helped by a different grip. I switch every other set in training, but use my preferred grip at meets.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I prefer the 'left over, right under grip' as it feels more natural and when I switch to the next set and have a 'right over, left under grip' it feels more awkward even though I'm mirroring that of my first grip - Does anyone else have this?
Yes I have L out R in grip always, never a problem or reason to switch. personal preference. I have never competed (except against myself) so I just train to my Personal Preference.

RedneckDB

Awards
Yes I have L out R in grip always, never a problem or reason to switch. personal preference. I have never competed (except against myself) so I just train to my Personal Preference.
Fair enough, I just switch my grip every set unless I'm going for a 'new pb' and then I just stay with my preferred grip for that one.

Pinky355

I'm a switcher every set and honestly dont have a prefered side now.

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
My right tricep is bigger than my left due to the fact when i worked as a surveyor i hammered stakes and cut brush with my right arm only. Unevenness can occur though i dont know to what extent it would be with an alternate grip if you didnt change what hand was doing what. I suggest switching it up

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My right tricep is bigger than my left due to the fact when i worked as a surveyor i hammered stakes and cut brush with my right arm only. Unevenness can occur though i dont know to what extent it would be with an alternate grip if you didnt change what hand was doing what. I suggest switching it up
That's because you were actually using one muscle more then the other. The hands only serve as hooks in the dead lifts. Your not exerting more effort from one side of the traps, rhomboids and teres then the other as a result of hand grip.

wontstop985

wontstop985

Awards
  • Established
I'm a switcher every set and honestly dont have a prefered side now.
I'm pretty much the same way, although I usually pull my heaviest set with my left hand pronated these days.

Oddly, I used to prefer to pull with the opposite grip in high school and during my first 8 months lifting heavy again, then it suddenly felt more comfortable to pull the other way. Go figure.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't think Neutral is the proper term for the grip being discussed. I believe a neutral grip is when palms face one another, i.e. when you do hammer curls or neutral grip pull-ups.

Mixed, or alternate is the correct term I think, but then, I'm not a CSCS. Volc, care to enlighten us?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think Neutral is the proper term for the grip being discussed. I believe a neutral grip is when palms face one another, i.e. when you do hammer curls or neutral grip pull-ups.

Mixed, or alternate is the correct term I think, but then, I'm not a CSCS. Volc, care to enlighten us?
You're correct. Neutral grip is palms facing each other. Pronated grip is what they've been describing, both hands over grip. As for mixed or alternate grip (or switch grip), there's no single technical term for it. I usually just say over-under so there's no confusion.

Pinky355

I was thinking that myself. I thought I was using a neutral grip when doing power shrugs in the wheel barrow grip postion. ie Palms facing each other.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
I use over over grip