* abs after each day

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd cut the warm-up to 10 minutes and space this out over 4 days. That's a lot to do in each session and you will be in the gym far too long.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
15-25 MIN bike warmup

Day 1 Chest and biceps
Bench press 5X5
Dumbbell incline press 3X8
Decline press 3X8
Dumbbell flys 3X8
Push press 3X5
Straight bar curls 5X5
Dumbbell curls 3X8
Hammer curls 3X8
Pull ups 10X8

Push ups 5X20
Lat pulls 3X8

Day 2 Legs and tri
Dips 10X8
Seated dips 3Xexhausion
Pull downs 4X8

Squat 5X5
Assisted squat 3X8
Skull crushers 3X8
Dead lifts 3X5

Leg ext 3X8
Leg curl 3X8
Calf raise 4X10
Lunges 3 TIMES
Close grip 3X8

Day 3 Back and shoulder
Shrugs 4X8
Shoulder press 3X8
Cleans 3X5
Front squat 3X8

Leg press 5X10

Wrist curls 3X8
Rev wrist curls 3X8
Bent over row 3X8
Cable seated row 3X8

* abs after each day
i'm absolutely lost and confused. wish i could be of more help. i wouldn't go above 8 exercises myself on any given workout day.

Kraker

Kraker

Awards
  • Established
Yea im confused to. Youre doing lats on your bicep day, but not doing them on your back day????

youngandmean

Awards
Yea im confused to. Youre doing lats on your bicep day, but not doing them on your back day????
sorry i meant to move the lat pulldown to day 3, i listed all the exercises i wanted to do before i made the workout

youngandmean

Awards
I'd cut the warm-up to 10 minutes and space this out over 4 days. That's a lot to do in each session and you will be in the gym far too long.
I was trying to make it 4 days but i couldnt figure out how i would do that

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
4 days would be

1 - chest/tri's
2 - back/bi's
3 - legs
4 - shoulders/forearms

at least that's how i would do them. i'm a fan of the 5 day routine myself.

the setup you have going on would hit your back every day of the 3 days, which i'm sure is not your intention.

Kraker

Kraker

Awards
  • Established
I do:
Chest/Leg curls/Leg extensions
Back/Traps/Calves
Shoulders/Arms(including forearms)/Squats/leg press
Off
Make-Up Day
Off
Repeat

I work legs and abs everyday. Now sometimes this can be over exhausting/take up too much time, so after my off day I will have a "make-up" day if needed and hit anything I missed. My make-up day ends up usually being an extra leg day with dead lifts and/or heavy shrugs.

youngandmean

Awards
4 days would be

1 - chest/tri's
2 - back/bi's
3 - legs
4 - shoulders/forearms

at least that's how i would do them. i'm a fan of the 5 day routine myself.

the setup you have going on would hit your back every day of the 3 days, which i'm sure is not your intention.
How does this look:
10-15 MIN bike warmup

1 - chest/tri's
Bench press 5X5
Decline press 3X8
Dumbbell flys 3X8
Push press 3X5
Dips 10X8
Seated dips 3Xexhausion
Pull downs 4X8
Close grip 3X8
Push ups 5X20

2 - back/bi's
Bent over row 3X8
Cable seated row 3X8
Lat pulls 3X8
Straight bar curls 5X5
Dumbbell curls 3X8
Hammer curls 3X8
Pull ups 10X8

3 - legs
Squat 5X5
Dead lifts 3X5
Leg ext 3X8
Leg curl 3X8
Calf raise 4X10
Lunges 3 TIMES
Cleans 3X5
Front squat 3X8
Leg press 5X10

4 - shoulders/forearms
Shrugs 4X8
Shoulder press 3X8
Wrist curls 3X8
Rev wrist curls 3X8
Front raises 3X8
Lateral raise 3X8

Kraker

Kraker

Awards
  • Established
It depends on what you're looking for. This is a descent set up to add size. I would change dead lifts to 5x5. Also, if you can do 5x20 pushups correctly at the end of your chest/triceps day, then you are definately not working hard enough on your other exercises. Thats just my opinion though.

youngandmean

Awards
It depends on what you're looking for. This is a descent set up to add size. I would change dead lifts to 5x5. Also, if you can do 5x20 pushups correctly at the end of your chest/triceps day, then you are definately not working hard enough on your other exercises. Thats just my opinion though.
I will change the deadlifts
For the push ups i probably will fail during each set im just going to do as many as i can do 20 being the most ill do

Kraker

Kraker

Awards
  • Established
Thats cool. If im working out with a partner we will do sets of 10 pushups between each set.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
1 - i would move deads to back day myself.
2 - i would add upright rows to shoulder day
3 - remember that triceps have 3 heads (and therefore 3 grips), so CG bench, dips, and for seated, do a reverse grip (underhand)

i think the routine looks good though. i second the pushup thing. if you can do 3x20 at the end of chest/tri day, step up the intensity. i would use the pushups to gauge how effectively you're working out, more than anything else.

good luck :)

youngandmean

Awards
Thats cool. If im working out with a partner we will do sets of 10 pushups between each set.
Ive done that i always thought that after doing that when i get to my next set im exhausted but i would do 15 pushups

youngandmean

Awards
1 - i would move deads to back day myself.
2 - i would add upright rows to shoulder day
3 - remember that triceps have 3 heads (and therefore 3 grips), so CG bench, dips, and for seated, do a reverse grip (underhand)

i think the routine looks good though. i second the pushup thing. if you can do 3x20 at the end of chest/tri day, step up the intensity. i would use the pushups to gauge how effectively you're working out, more than anything else.

good luck :)
Ok i'll do that thanks

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
I personally like 1 pecs alone
2 off-abs
3 back/bis
4 off-abs
5shoulders/tris
6 0ff-abs
7 legs
That way I am not over training any one body part. Especially if you train balls to the wall intense.

youngandmean

Awards
I personally like 1 pecs alone
2 off-abs
3 back/bis
4 off-abs
5shoulders/tris
6 0ff-abs
7 legs
That way I am not over training any one body part. Especially if you train balls to the wall intense.
I usually would just take the weekends off

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
I usually would just take the weekends off
If you train intensely though, you will be sore or not fully healed on a particular body part that will overlap the next one that you train eg; your tris still recovering(even though you haven't focused on them they still take on a workload) after having worked your pecs. You do have to work within whatever schedule you have of course, I understand.

youngandmean

Awards
Damn you were right, i tried doing pushups after and after 5 i colapsed

waverebelfore

waverebelfore

Awards
How does this look:
10-15 MIN bike warmup

1 - chest/tri's
Bench press 5X5
Decline press 3X8
Dumbbell flys 3X8
Push press 3X5
Dips 10X8
Seated dips 3Xexhausion
Pull downs 4X8
Close grip 3X8
Push ups 5X20

2 - back/bi's
Bent over row 3X8
Cable seated row 3X8
Lat pulls 3X8
Straight bar curls 5X5
Dumbbell curls 3X8
Hammer curls 3X8
Pull ups 10X8

3 - legs
Squat 5X5
Dead lifts 3X5
Leg ext 3X8
Leg curl 3X8
Calf raise 4X10
Lunges 3 TIMES
Cleans 3X5
Front squat 3X8
Leg press 5X10

4 - shoulders/forearms
Shrugs 4X8
Shoulder press 3X8
Wrist curls 3X8
Rev wrist curls 3X8
Front raises 3X8
Lateral raise 3X8
Your completely over working yourself and its stupid. You go to the gym a lot... so you should see results and continuously get bigger right? (if thats your goal) maybe you should stop worrying about what exercises you use to start and realize that if you do bent over rows you hit your whole back (not saying thats the only exercise needed) but you seem like one of those that stress over what exercise to do more than you actually lift. If you just benched, dead lifted, shoulder pressed, and squated youd get big and if you ate right probably have a very good physique.

If you want size and strength you need rest.. and when you workout you need to hit the weight heavy and not over exhaust.

I overtrained for years and luckily genetics played in and i still got bigger but not as fast as i should have.

the routine i just completed is as follows

M/W/F -
1st workout
Monday
Squat 4x 5
Glute/Ham 2 x 10 + Quad extensions 2 x 10
Bent Row or Chest Supported row 4 x 6
Underhand row – 2x10
Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8
2 BB curl
Calf Raises 4 x 15

2nd workout 1 day later
Wednesday
Bench Press or low board press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
Military or Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8
Lateral raises 2 x 8
Skull Crushers 3 x 10
Ab work 3 x 10
Calves 4 x 10 (rest pause calves)

3rd workout 1 day later
Friday
Deadlift or 3 x 5
3 x 5 squat
2 leg extensions SS Leg curls
Chin or lat pull-down 4 x 6
Rear delt exercise 2 x 8
BB Curl 3 x 8
2 x 10 DB curl
Calf Raises 4 x 15

4th workout
Monday
Incline bench press or Incline Dumbbell Press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3
Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
Military or Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8
Lateral raises 2 x 8
Tricep pushdowns 3 x 10
Ab work 3 x 10
Calves 4 x 10 (rest pause calves)

I am not saying this is the best workout ever but defiently works your body to put on mass/strength

you shouldnt be able to do 18 -20 sets of chest... how would that be beneficial?

waverebelfore

waverebelfore

Awards
the above split should be done from 8 - 12 weeks followed by a light week (deloading)

if you want something geared for more shape.hypertrophy... id do a totally different split including 3 - 4 days lifting but only touching on each body part once in the week... but no where near the volume your looking at.. I mean unless you look like a body builder I will stand firm and say that your trying to do so much you will not increase strenght.. and you will go another 365 days putting on a pound or two when you probably could have stayed home and done pushups

Kraker

Kraker

Awards
  • Established
Ya know,lately I have been wondering if I have been over training. I usually try to do about 4 exercises per region per day.
Example: Chest (I try to switch them up every day but this is an example)
Cable Flys- 4 sets of 10 or atleast try for ten
Barbell Decline Press- 4 sets of 10 or atleast try for ten
Dumbell Incline- 4 sets of 10 or atleast try for ten
Upright Cable press- 4 sets of 10 or atleast try for ten

Also, if I still have some gas in my tank, I will hit up cable flys at the end of my routine and do 2-3 sets of max weight.

Over training?

waverebelfore

waverebelfore

Awards
I mean no one can tell you if YOU are over training... On paper it looks like what I was doing in the past which eventually haulted my results.

Its your mentality .. you want to be bigger.. .you want to crush weight .. and you think the more the better...

Its difficult because there probably are a few guys in your gym that work out 5 days a week that are huge.. chances are they r on steroids or have awsome genetics.

if your not increasing regularly... even small amounts your not doing something right. to change from very high colume to doing much less is a hard transition. You shouldnt be monitoring the gas left in your tank.. cause when you walk out of the gym (working otu with a colume split) you should be pumped up/tired but not crippled.

(I learned this from a great trainner IA) when doing something volume oriented your first compound movement should be progressive and the last set should be to your 100% max of whatever rep range your at. After that an easy way to monitor how much you are over training is by choosing the same weight for the each following exersice (90 - incline DB or 40 pound plate for flis) and do your four sets with that same weight targeting a certain rep range (giving yourself a max of 90 seconds )... The First set feels light - as it would if you were progressing from light to heavy. The next set is more difficult and so is the following so your fourth set is difficult again. This is a good way to help prevent overtraining. I have to lift in this manner otherwise I go balls out on every single lift... find myself very tired all the time, not growing, not increasing in strength, and unhappy.

if your looking for strength and mass I would try mroe of a power lifting routine like i posted above for 8 - 12 weeks.. then return to a volume program for about 6 weeks.. and cycle back until yoru goals change. Thats what I am currently using. Remeber any split you look at is an OUTLINE not something set in stone. I will say some people can handle more training but, most cant.

Know your body, and if your not gaining its probably not because your not doing this "new" exercise" you saw in the magazine which, you add to yoru already way to bulky routine. It's probably because your already doing wayyyy to much.

From your split it looks like yoru doing wayyy to much. I would consider staying at the basic frame of 9 - 12 sets a body part.. balls out on the first compound exercise and then if you are going to add volume just monitor your intensity. It will be hard to make the change but when you start seeing results you will continue to try and figure yourself out.

Kraker

Kraker

Awards
  • Established
I am juicing and this cycle i added a low dose of tren, which should increase strength and mass rapidly, and it was. I continued to add more and more reps and weight which I believe is where I went wrong. I've been contemplating changing my routine to a 5x5, but I do like your idea as well. Also I have been only getting a max of 6hrs of sleep, which I know is affecting me a bit, but I have a very packed schedule as of right now.

waverebelfore

waverebelfore

Awards
i wouldnt add volume to much.. your body can only handle so much in that given day regardless.. what you have is the ability to recover faster and get stronger... maybe look toward increasing frequency and not volume in that given day.. i would try and lift somewhere in the middle of a mass building/hypertrophy...

I have never touched the stuff yet but alway interested me

Kraker

Kraker

Awards
  • Established
It's great, the end of my last cycle and this cycle I became too focused and my workouts got too intense and started to over train.