back to back OFF days

shugrblossm

Awards
I normally only have one off day during the week. So whats the best thing to do? I'm planning to take 2 days off of training when I'm on vacation. I'm reaching my destination around 2am Friday. (I'll workout Thursday morning) Is it better to take a nap Thursday night before I get on the road around 11:30p then get up around 9-10am Friday and workout. Then have Saturday and Sunday off, Monday gym
Or: Friday off, Saturday workout, Sunday off,Monday gym
Do you get better recovery with 2 back to back off days?

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
back to back off days is great for growth and you will be more refreshed.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Don't worry about it. Have fun on your vacation.

A couple of days off isn't going to cause you to shrink up.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Yup. I used to always think more was better. I was working out 6 to 7 days a week and was not getting any stronger. Now I take 2 or 3 days off a week, 2 of the days are back to back and I am stronger and feel much better.

Rest is a great thing.

shugrblossm

Awards
Sorry if I seem stupid but just want to make sure. Your saying that 2 consecutive off days is better recovery than OFF/workout/OFF?
Thanks for your opinion

illgixxer

Awards
  • Established
curious to know as well, I don't think I take enough rest either

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Everyone is different but back to back days is fine. On/off is fine to just find the amount of rest that works for you. The average non steriod guy probably needs about 2-3 days off a week for optimum muscle building.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Pick up a training textbook.

I highly suggest the newest edition of the NSCA training manual. Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning, 3rd edition.

Read, absorb, and be happy.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
lol I've always taken 2 back to back days off then 5 days on... by friday I'm drained though, physically and mentally.

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
the longer i have trained the ore i have realized the more rest the better

there have been times where i had to work out a week, then week off, then work out, then week off and had great growth over these periods

two days off a week is a must for most people

you could probably work out each muscle once a month and get results... people get a little too crazy thinking they need to train everyday. i would say enjoy your vacation and take the whole time off

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
the longer i have trained the ore i have realized the more rest the better

there have been times where i had to work out a week, then week off, then work out, then week off and had great growth over these periods

two days off a week is a must for most people

you could probably work out each muscle once a month and get results... people get a little too crazy thinking they need to train everyday. i would say enjoy your vacation and take the whole time off
I agree. Training 6 -7 a week made me loose weight and weaken. Two and a half years ago I started training 2 hours a day, 6-7 a days a week and went from 165pds to 160pds. I was unable to gain any weight or strength. I cut this to 1 hour trainings and 4-5 days a week and was able to put on some weight and strength. Now I only train 4 days a week max and feel stronger than ever and weigh 182 pds. Of course eating more helped but definitely rest periods made a big difference.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
ive tried everything and only lifting 3 days a week has given me amazing gains. my workout partner goes on my off days to get ahead and wonders why my strength has been skyrocketing and his isnt :)

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
ive tried everything and only lifting 3 days a week has given me amazing gains. my workout partner goes on my off days to get ahead and wonders why my strength has been skyrocketing and his isnt :)
Don't tell him the secret......:redeemerwhore:

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
as long as youre getting 9-10 hours of sleep you should be fine. just because your muscles are sore doesn't mean they haven't recovered already

shugrblossm

Awards
as long as youre getting 9-10 hours of sleep you should be fine. just because your muscles are sore doesn't mean they haven't recovered already
Funny you said that. Many times when I'm still sore from 2 days ago i'll still hit the weights and the next day I'm not nearly as sore. It's like oil for sore muscles. I love it.:D

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Typically you would want to wait about 72 hours before hitting the same body part. For the best growth I would personally weight an entire week. On your stubborn parts maybe hit twice a week.

Usually if you are still sore you are still not fully recovered......

Check out this link on DOMS, this may help you out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_soreness

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
i do deadlifts 3 times every 2 weeks(1 heavy set of 15 reps)... the first month i dont think my back was ever NOT sore but i was getting stronger every workout, on the other hand sometimes when im sore and i work out, the soreness will completely go away and i will feel like i never worked out

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
i believe you have a period of 72 hours that you can wait to train a muscle again. wheather sore or not if you wait longer than 72 hours atrophy begins so i would train before that period of time. Any longer and you'll most likely be undertraining and still won't be getting to results you desire as fast. your going to have to take your nutrition, lifting technique and program into account as well. now thats just what i believe, only you know if you're ready to lift again or not.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
i believe you have a period of 72 hours that you can wait to train a muscle again. wheather sore or not if you wait longer than 72 hours atrophy begins so i would train before that period of time. Any longer and you'll most likely be undertraining and still won't be getting to results you desire as fast. your going to have to take your nutrition, lifting technique and program into account as well. now thats just what i believe, only you know if you're ready to lift again or not.
So, you are stating that if I do not train the same muscle part after 72 hours I will began to lose that muscle? :thinking:

This might be why you are 152 pds at 5'10".

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
Actually now i'm 5'10 160. A year ago I was 5'9 135.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Actually now i'm 5'10 160. A year ago I was 5'9 135.
Almost there. Not trying to be rude, just sounding like some false information. If you can post some studies backing this up, that would be great.