I think I pulled a muscle in my shoulder need advice

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.51%

I think I pulled a muscle in my shoulder need advice

I worked shoulders yesterday and hit my PB on dumbell military press but today my shoulder started feeling really sore like I pulled something. It's not the usual DOMS but definately not right. Tomorrow I was gonna be doin chest but I don't wanna injur things anymore. I've been working out for 3 years and this is the first time this has happened any ideas how to heal it up fast?

thanks

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.59%

Ice it down, anti inflamitories, (naproxen or motrin), get it checked out if it continues to bother you after a few days just to play it safe. I am currently in physical therapy for a strained right trap and sprained shoulder so i feel your pain!
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.51%

ya bro pain is screamin today. I just woke up to take some anti inflamatories. I happen to have a doc apt. set for monday. But this is really hurting even when I'm not moving it. I notice too that if I push between my front and middle delt it's killin me man. I think I gotta take the day off tonight.
    •   

4. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.89%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

If it hurts when you press on it, simply do not do that. Your desire to check over it will cause more discomfort. The area sounds in the area of your labrum. It could also be the long head of the biceps some sort of bursitis. Place your arm out to the side of you (lateral raise) with your palm facing down toward the floor. Raise your arm while keeping it straight and your palm flat. Do you feel any pain? Next, position your arm in a lateral raise position again only this time you should turn your wrist to where it is facing out (thumb pointing upward), then perform a lateral raise. Any pain/discomfort? Now do it again with the palm facing toward the sky. Once again, what do you feel?

Good links to search for any Ortho-Pod issues: Isuggest you search the first link first and go through the self-test(s). I hope you heal quickly.
    http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/start-here/

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00426
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.51%

yah man definately feelin some pain near the top of those movements. It actually even hurts just hanging there. But its so weird it never hurt at all when I did shoulders. If I pulled or injured it on Tuesday during my shoulder workout wouldn't I have felt something?
  6. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.89%

Quote Originally Posted by fatherenis View Post
    yah man definately feelin some pain near the top of those movements. It actually even hurts just hanging there. But its so weird it never hurt at all when I did shoulders. If I pulled or injured it on Tuesday during my shoulder workout wouldn't I have felt something?
    Not really; that's actaully a misconception of tendon/ligament injuries. Inflammation causes some injuries to, "hide," and won't be felt really until 24-72 hours later. What kind of pain is it?
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.51%

Its just a very stiff/sharp pain that I can feel down my whole arm if it's in the wrong position. I took some ibuprofin and that helped me sleep last night but before that it was keeping me up because I couldn't find a comfortable position in which to keep my arm. I pretty sure its not DOMS although I've had extreme pain in my calves after an intense workout. And I'm pretty sure the left shoulder would hurt to which it doesn't at all. Can I still work and if so what exercises do I need to avoid?
  8. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.89%

Its just a very stiff/sharp pain that I can feel down my whole arm if it's in the wrong position. I took some ibuprofin and that helped me sleep last night but before that it was keeping me up because I couldn't find a comfortable position in which to keep my arm. I pretty sure its not DOMS although I've had extreme pain in my calves after an intense workout. And I'm pretty sure the left shoulder would hurt to which it doesn't at all. Can I still work and if so what exercises do I need to avoid?
    Rest - ICE - eat greens and drink plenty of water. Give it a week off (completely) and assess from that point. I know that sounds like a big kick in the ass to your training; however, if rest is what is needed and you push through this and make something that may be a sprain/strain in to a full-blown tear, you will be out for up to 10 months for a shoulder surgery. Which is a better choice - week off and evaluate or 10-12 months of rehabilitation and pain? Be smart, man - good luck.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.51%

awesome man I'm gonna take your advice. Any thoughts about maybe doin some curls with the other arm and some light legs during that week of shoulder rest or should I avoid everything completely?

Thanks
  10. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.89%

awesome man I'm gonna take your advice. Any thoughts about maybe doin some curls with the other arm and some light legs during that week of shoulder rest or should I avoid everything completely?

Thanks
    I would avoid the gym; there's no need in risking it. Just take the time to get your mind right and make sure you don't ry to over-stretch it and/or poke it all of the time. It's second nature to do so; but just be mindful.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.51%

Thanks bro! Appreciate the quick response and advice.

Similar Forum Threads

1. supplement for pulled muscle???
    By pavb10 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-26-2011, 01:54 PM
  2. HELP! Pulled Calf Muscle
    By keeper in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 02:09 PM
  3. Pulled Muscle
    By SufferingEd in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3