Why the hate toward CrossFit???

drvinnybombat

Awards
I'm doing P90X right now for a change and because my F ing gym closed...But I used to love crossfit workouts and got pretty impressive results.

Why are so many people i hear from online so adamantly opposed to crossfit?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man, that's a never ending battle. Mostly I believe it's because most people online here focus more on the bodybuilding aspect of fitness and Crossfit, well crossfit solely is not fully conducive to that. I love crossfit, but I'm in the military and utilize my fitness different than most on here. Each has there place though.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Don't get me wrong, I love CrossFit. I live it, breathe it, and love coaching it.

But CrossFitters can be ARROGANT. We believe in our program, after seeing the results, and absolutely believe its the best way to train. Not exactly "CrossFit" per say, but rather high intensity training, constantly varying up the exercises and making sure they are all functional real-world movements.

CrossFitters often make mockery of bodybuilding movements, such as cable curls or whatnot. The thing is - a CrossFitter seeks fitness. He or she looks back at the time they did cable curls, and laughs about it, because they realized thats not fitness. In truth they are right, but that's not the purpose of cable curls. No, cable curls won't bring you to new heights in fitness, so it is silly. But it is a widely used exercise in bodybuilding, and it as proven it's worth. Sort of a miscommunication to a certain extent between CrossFitters and bodybuilders.

Far too often, we as CrossFitters say this program is THE ONLY way to go, and ITS THE BEST, SECOND TO NONE for fitness purposes. This arrogance naturally creates resistance against the program, and its something I too need to work on. I'm very proud of the program, but I respect all forms of exercise. The only bad exercise is no exercise!

Also... hogging 15 different stations at a globo gym and making a scene can also be annoying to other members as well. More of a reason to join a CrossFit gym, where that type of training is meant to be done.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't get me wrong, I love CrossFit. I live it, breathe it, and love coaching it.

But CrossFitters can be ARROGANT. We believe in our program, after seeing the results, and absolutely believe its the best way to train. Not exactly "CrossFit" per say, but rather high intensity training, constantly varying up the exercises and making sure they are all functional real-world movements.

CrossFitters often make mockery of bodybuilding movements, such as cable curls or whatnot. The thing is - a CrossFitter seeks fitness. He or she looks back at the time they did cable curls, and laughs about it, because they realized thats not fitness. In truth they are right, but that's not the purpose of cable curls. No, cable curls won't bring you to new heights in fitness, so it is silly. But it is a widely used exercise in bodybuilding, and it as proven it's worth. Sort of a miscommunication to a certain extent between CrossFitters and bodybuilders.

Far too often, we as CrossFitters say this program is THE ONLY way to go, and ITS THE BEST, SECOND TO NONE for fitness purposes. This arrogance naturally creates resistance against the program, and its something I too need to work on. I'm very proud of the program, but I respect all forms of exercise. The only bad exercise is no exercise!

Also... hogging 15 different stations at a globo gym and making a scene can also be annoying to other members as well. More of a reason to join a CrossFit gym, where that type of training is meant to be done.
Pretty much hit all of my gripes about it in this post. It has a place in training, but it is not the only way to train. Contrary to what they say, they lack a fundamental principle in their training: muscular strength. As it is primarily endurance training, they neglect actual strength training. It is one of the 5 components of fitness, yet they completely neglect it.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't say it is neglected. Th movements themselves will lead to increased muscle strength just not to the degree that pure weights would produce.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
But I used to love crossfit workouts and got pretty impressive results.
depends what a person wants for "results". i dont want what crossfit has to offer. i want mass.

CrossFitters often make mockery of bodybuilding movements, such as cable curls or whatnot. The thing is - a CrossFitter seeks fitness.
i make fun of people doing cable curls too.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I don't think that CrossFit, or cross-training in general, is a bad idea. Actually, it seems a very good way to stay in shape and develop general fitness.

I think it's the arrogance and cult-like following that is more annoying than anything (of course, the 5 sets x 10 reps bodybuilding crowd is a bit cultish, as well). But, the program itself isn't bad. It may not be the best for those looking to add the most mass, but it's a decent fitness program, IMO.

It's whatever floats your boat.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

:kiss:

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pretty much hit all of my gripes about it in this post. It has a place in training, but it is not the only way to train. Contrary to what they say, they lack a fundamental principle in their training: muscular strength. As it is primarily endurance training, they neglect actual strength training. It is one of the 5 components of fitness, yet they completely neglect it.
I wouldn't say they completely neglect strength training either. In fact, Crossfit has acknowledged the fact that individuals who come from a strength background more often than not excel at Crossfit more than those who do not. They also have noted that due to the varying degrees of needs and desires they do at times stand a little weak on the strength portion. Because of this they have developed Crossfit Strength Bias which puts more emphasis on that portion. The same even goes for those who want even further into the endurance realm you have Crossfit Endurance. I personally utilize a little of everything and enjoy it all and see both sides of the arguments and understand the arrogance ordeal and cult phenomenon. Which is why I laughed my ass off when I saw tis video...

YouTube- 2 Crossfitters 1 Chalk Bucket

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My hatred really started when I read this:

Taken from the Crossfit FAQ

1.6. Will I/can I get big doing CrossFit?

If you train the WODs hard, and eat right and get lots of sleep, you will definitely gain lean mass, lose fat, and yes, you can build muscle mass with the crossfit protocol. More specifically, according to Coach,
Here is a hierarchy of training for mass from greater to lesser efficacy:
1. Bodybuilding on steroids
2. CrossFitting on steroids
3. CrossFitting without steroids
4. Bodybuilding without steroids
The bodybuilding model is designed around, requires, steroids for significant hypertrophy.
The neuroendocrine response of bodybuilding protocols is so blunted that without "exogenous hormonal therapy" little happens.
The CrossFit protocol is designed to elicit a substantial neuroendocrine whollop and hence packs an anabolic punch that puts on impressive amounts of muscle though that is not our concern. Strength is.
Natural bodybuilders (the natural ones that are not on steroids) never approach the mass that our athletes do. They don't come close.
Those athletes who train for function end up with better form than those who value form over function. This is one of the beautiful ironies of training.

Seriously, WTF!?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Pulling hairs here, but: cable curls and any other isotonic movement, for that matter, are indeed a component of fitness - the degree thereof, however, depends largely on your definition of "fitness." And the narrow and jargon-laden definition of "fitness" is precisely my personal disagreement with "Cross Fitters".

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
We focus (Special Forces / Rangers) on CrossFit more so than a regular routine because of the nature of our jobs. I fully endorse such, and love every characteristic of it. I do, however, include a set lifting routine in to my regimen when I am not downrange and/or at home for an extended period of time. The type of CrossFit that I utilize is somewhat of a hybrid method as opposed to the standard that many see.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
IMO the negative attitude comes from the way that it's presented to the public. It's marketed as THE way to train. We all have been around the block with 10 or 15 different workout philosophies that make similar promises.

I think it's smart for us to be skeptical of every novelty training method, every novelty diet, every novelty supplement.

country1911

country1911

Banned
Awards
We focus (Special Forces / Rangers) on CrossFit more so than a regular routine because of the nature of our jobs. I fully endorse such, and love every characteristic of it. I do, however, include a set lifting routine in to my regimen when I am not downrange and/or at home for an extended period of time. The type of CrossFit that I utilize is somewhat of a hybrid method as opposed to the standard that many see.
I agree. And as a firefighter a few of my coworkers crossfit. However, they never reach the intensity level necessary to get the results they desire.

I train with a more traditional bodybuilding split with cardio added in and even naturally, I pull more gains than they do. I lose more fat and gain more muscle without steroids because I train correctly with the required intensity.

I am not saying that all crossfitters are like this, just the 4-5 I have met in person. Also keep in mind they were not training at a crossfit gym, but rather a regular gym.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've trained around both Rangers and SF and while it has been a decade since this has happened their training was no where near the same. Are they both under the same type of fitness requirements now or are you speaking of Ranger tabbed SF guys?

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've trained around both Rangers and SF and while it has been a decade since this has happened their training was no where near the same. Are they both under the same type of fitness requirements now or are you speaking of Ranger tabbed SF guys?
Not as a whole, but rather a Ranger in the SoF.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

If you train the WODs hard, and eat right and get lots of sleep, you will definitely gain lean mass, lose fat, and yes, you can build muscle mass with the crossfit protocol. More specifically, according to Coach,
The bodybuilding model is designed around, requires, steroids for significant hypertrophy.
The neuroendocrine response of bodybuilding protocols is so blunted that without "exogenous hormonal therapy" little happens.
The CrossFit protocol is designed to elicit a substantial neuroendocrine whollop and hence packs an anabolic punch that puts on impressive amounts of muscle though that is not our concern. Strength is.
Natural bodybuilders (the natural ones that are not on steroids) never approach the mass that our athletes do. They don't come close.
Those athletes who train for function end up with better form than those who value form over function. This is one of the beautiful ironies of training.

Seriously, WTF!?

Yeah, I've read that and feel ya bro.

Chops89

Chops89

Awards
  • Established

Seriously, WTF!?
"The neuroendocrine response of bodybuilding protocols is so blunted that without "exogenous hormonal therapy" little happens."

What a load of horse sh*t. I guess everything I've accomplished naturally hasn't actually happened. The scale and the mirror must be lying to me.

I like the idea of crossfit. I'm a firefighter myself and could certainly benefit from this type of training. I just can't stand the whole "my training is better than yours" attitude. All forms of training have their place and uses.

codywaters

codywaters

Awards
I'm doing P90X right now for a change and because my F ing gym closed...But I used to love crossfit workouts and got pretty impressive results.

Why are so many people i hear from online so adamantly opposed to crossfit?
There is obviously little hope for you as you are already doing p90x and working out with richard simmons.

to answer your question nancy, its because it is specific to nothing. most train for a reason... there is little reason to run 10 miles then do two hours of pull ups and push ups then snatches untill you crush yourself. This builds no muscles... but neither does p90x.

drvinnybombat

Awards
There is obviously little hope for you as you are already doing p90x and working out with richard simmons.

to answer your question nancy, its because it is specific to nothing. most train for a reason... there is little reason to run 10 miles then do two hours of pull ups and push ups then snatches untill you crush yourself. This builds no muscles... but neither does p90x.
Ok a**hole, point taken.

Seriously though, seeing as you're pretty insanely jacked, let me run something by you. I have performance goals, and am not worried about just getting bigger. Specifically I need to be able to run up a sh**load of stairs and run moderate distances(mainly 2 miles).

So, my question is, can you run at all with your size? Right now I can crank out 2 miles in well under 14:00, but I want to get to 13:00. Also, how winded would you get running up 20 or so flights of stairs with a 40 lb vest? Right now I barely get winded at all, I'm trying to basically become a stair climbing robot.

I know you don't do any of this stuff, but give me an idea...Because if you kick my ass at all of this too then I'm probably going to rethink my life.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The great irony of that statement is that it is cut from the same mold as most CF'ers. Arrogance, in any form, is never a good approach to such a dynamic and fluid field such as fitness. My personal beef is with the marketing and arrogance of the system. Hell, the fewer overfat people we have in this world the better. Not everyone is all about getting huge and I completely understand that, but I also understand that goals are relative to the person. If I get up to 205, but I'm slower and have the cardio of Chris Farley, then it is a waste.

rush808

rush808

Awards
So, my question is, can you run at all with your size? Right now I can crank out 2 miles in well under 14:00, but I want to get to 13:00. Also, how winded would you get running up 20 or so flights of stairs with a 40 lb vest?
How long have u been training to get to 13min 2mi? only CF?

:rofl:

drvinnybombat

Awards
I've been running for this purpose for like 2 months I'd say. I've plateaued recently, but I think It's from having to run in the cold. I'm stuck at 13:45.

The worst part is that there's a 90 lb, 5'4" girl who always runs at the same time as me who almost laps me every time. It feels like getting dunked on by a 12 year old.

codywaters

codywaters

Awards
Ok a**hole, point taken.
Stop calling me names.. your going to hurt my feelings.... oh wait, I have none...

My cardio abilities? I give two ****s about running more then a mile. I did enough running when I was in the military and on my University rugby team to last me a lifetime. When I trained to run, I could do two miles in 12 minutes. yea... thats fu ck ing fast. I can currently run a 40n in 5.0 flat... if you can outrun me in the 40 then your life is not at risk... and there is little chance I will be running from anyone.

Crossfit is Ideal for special ops... If thats what you are doing with your life, then thats awsome. I did that for four years of mine and don't regret a damn bit of it. If you want to build massive muscle, crossfit is highly ineffective... I would try FST-7 but hey... thats just what King Cutler does...what do I know

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stop calling me names.. your going to hurt my feelings.... oh wait, I have none...

My cardio abilities? I give two ****s about running more then a mile. I did enough running when I was in the military and on my University rugby team to last me a lifetime. When I trained to run, I could do two miles in 12 minutes. yea... thats fu ck ing fast. I can currently run a 40n in 5.0 flat... if you can outrun me in the 40 then your life is not at risk... and there is little chance I will be running from anyone.

Crossfit is Ideal for special ops... If thats what you are doing with your life, then thats awsome. I did that for four years of mine and don't regret a damn bit of it. If you want to build massive muscle, crossfit is highly ineffective... I would try FST-7 but hey... thats just what King Cutler does...what do I know
No one of sound mind is saying that CF will make you huge, but the argument is over training efficacy. "Proper" training is relative to the individual and I like their emphasis on CV training as 90% of BB/PLers horribly neglect this and think they're too good to do it.

I much prefer to train hard and heavy, but I can't do that when I have a fight scheduled and implement more circuit training. Not CF per se, but still similar to their philosophy.

The problem with these kinds of threads is that it always gets side-tracked with personal attacks and never stays on intelligent discussion.
Also, the Cutler statement is a horrible appeal to authority fallacy.

codywaters

codywaters

Awards
No one of sound mind is saying that CF will make you huge, but the argument is over training efficacy. "Proper" training is relative to the individual and I like their emphasis on CV training as 90% of BB/PLers horribly neglect this and think they're too good to do it.

I much prefer to train hard and heavy, but I can't do that when I have a fight scheduled and implement more circuit training. Not CF per se, but still similar to their philosophy.

The problem with these kinds of threads is that it always gets side-tracked with personal attacks and never stays on intelligent discussion.
Also, the Cutler statement is a horrible appeal to authority fallacy.
Now that is a statement I can completely agree with. If your goals are met by the program you choose, then you are on the right path. there is little to no need for a fighter, soldier, or cop to be walking around with 30" legs and 20" arms. Its just not practical.

You lost me on the cutler comment... I have no idea what you ment.