Taking Little Bro To Gym

ndawson89

ndawson89

Awards
He is 16 years old, and is endomorphic. Not overweight, but has the body type to be an easy gainer. What exercises should i recommend to him?

C

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
just the basics, chest -bench press, legs -squats; back deadlifts
Dont push him , let him get used to the equipment , concentrate on form rather than weight even if means getting the technique right just using a barbell. One thing you dont want , is injury
When he feels comfortable with getting the technique right , then you can build up the weight.Remember that just cos you like training , the gym might not be suitable for him and prefer a different sport.

ndawson89

ndawson89

Awards
thanks. he seemed to enjoy it. he's been wanting to go with me more and more. the first time he went i offered a glass of golden gains afterwards - which he tried and didn't like for some reason. he said it was too sour. idk. i like the stuff - even if i do guzzle it down like a madman

indianballer

indianballer

Awards
  • Established
I just say MAKE him do squats with you carefully watching his form. 5 sets of 10 with the bar or with 135 or w/e the case may be...but you want him to be squatting big if hes any kind of athlete. Bench for sure, power cleans are great, push press or military press. Deads are good but I won't lie I go months without doing them cuz I can't get my back too cooperate with them...they're tough.

I would do something like this with 3 sets of 10,8,6 on most except the first couple u might go 4 or 5

Mon:
Bench
Squat
Incline Dumbell Bench
Military Press
Skullcrushers (maybe)
Dips

Tues:
Power Cleans
Pullups
Bent Over Rows/Row machine
Crunches
Barbell Curls
Calf Raises
lateral raises (each direction, low weight, good form) these really help build stabilizers for bench in beginners

Wednesday off and thurs fri repeat

That's similar to our high school lifting program when we came in as freshman so take that for what it's worth

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I bring my Lil bro. I stick to squats deads cleans bench dips pull ups. Squats are his fav. Smart kid eh. He's 16 also.

N

NYCDiesel

Awards
Try out the 5x5 routine since hes new it would be better for him to progressively load more weight so his tendons/ligs/muscles all adapt to more weight being added each time, good luck

N

NYCDiesel

Awards
and I'm sure you know to make him eat like a madman and I'm sure hes resting enough, the good old days...........

jsheely

jsheely

Awards
  • Established
Make sure you emphasize the importance of stretching and warming up properly. It's something you should get used to doing from the beginning or it will kick you in the arse later on.

ndawson89

ndawson89

Awards
Make sure you emphasize the importance of stretching and warming up properly. It's something you should get used to doing from the beginning or it will kick you in the arse later on.
that i one thing i make SURE to do. for myself also - i never start liftin before warming up and stretching.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
16 isnt that young compared to some people starting at 14 or so i started right around when i turned 16 and only thing id reccomend is of course easing him into it, i started with machines for 2-3 months then moved to squats bench press etc.