HUGE ARMS Very Confused!! Please help!!

HODGINSx924

HODGINSx924

Awards
I know this might be a noobie questions.. But please help me out..

BTW its not the diet im confused with.. I have a good mass gaining diet. I just am confused on what to be doing in the gym for the size..

Ok I try to read up on as much as I can when it comes to working out at the gym.. My goals are to get much bigger.. I want to gain strength, but more importantly size!
I need some help on what my training should be..
Should I be doing heavier weights for low reps at low-med sets..
Or should I be doing weights I can rep out 8-12..
I hear so much about both, and I am just so confused on what to do..
I want to get real big size, and strenth.. But how much % of my 1-Rep Max should I be lifting, and how many reps, and sets.. ??

MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established
I've been all over the place- tried 5x5, GVT, Max-OT, and the Rest-Pause Intervals of Dc..
I'm naturally a skinny guy too and have hard time putting on weight..
This is what I've found works for me- I've been doing it for 3 months now;
Do 4 Sets of 8-12 - On the major lifts
With 3 sets of 8-12 on minor lifts (More isolated)
*The weights should be to failure though: So, first get a weight you can do 8 times, for 4 sets.. the next week you stay the same weight but go to 10 reps, next week 12 reps, finally- once you can do the weight 12 times, increase it [the following week obv]- start over from 8 reps increasing reps until 12 is reached then increase weights agian..

It's kinda a collaboration between all the routines i've tried.. it's kind of the "shoe that fits" so to speak for me, I've gained 6lbs in 3 months without changing my diet at all.. Also, my biceps have grown from 14.75inches to 15.5inches in those 3 months..
My Split:
Saturday - Chest
Sunday - Shoulders
Monday- Off
Tuesday - Back / Triceps
Wednesday - Abs / Biceps
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Off or Abs again.

dpfisher

Do what works for you, that's all I can tell you. I don't think you'll find my exact workout anywhere online but it works better than anything else I've done. If 8-12 doesn't work, go down to 4-6. % of 1rm is going to be based on how many reps you can do, if you go to failure or almost to failure every time you will probably get the best gains

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1RM is only applicable for large, compound lifts. Even then, there are many different philosophies about what the proper rep range is for gaining LBM. The only way you can find out is to try different schemes and discover what works for you. Some people swear by certain routines, but that is only an opinion. Most of all, though, training is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying your time in the gym, then you're not likely to stay motivated.

HODGINSx924

HODGINSx924

Awards
I've been all over the place- tried 5x5, GVT, Max-OT, and the Rest-Pause Intervals of Dc..
I'm naturally a skinny guy too and have hard time putting on weight..
This is what I've found works for me- I've been doing it for 3 months now;
Do 4 Sets of 8-12 - On the major lifts
With 3 sets of 8-12 on minor lifts (More isolated)
*The weights should be to failure though: So, first get a weight you can do 8 times, for 4 sets.. the next week you stay the same weight but go to 10 reps, next week 12 reps, finally- once you can do the weight 12 times, increase it [the following week obv]- start over from 8 reps increasing reps until 12 is reached then increase weights agian..

It's kinda a collaboration between all the routines i've tried.. it's kind of the "shoe that fits" so to speak for me, I've gained 6lbs in 3 months without changing my diet at all.. Also, my biceps have grown from 14.75inches to 15.5inches in those 3 months..
My Split:
Saturday - Chest
Sunday - Shoulders
Monday- Off
Tuesday - Back / Triceps
Wednesday - Abs / Biceps
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Off or Abs again.

Ok but what I don't get is.. If im suppose to do a weight that I can only do 8 times.. then how am I suppuse to push it out to 12? Wouldn't that be like a progressive overload?

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
5'9
155lbs

Bench 225x10
Squat 425x1
Deadlift 275x10

something is wrong here.......

HODGINSx924

HODGINSx924

Awards
wake up take a piss and weight in 168lbs.. give or take a pound..

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
wake up take a piss and weight in 168lbs.. give or take a pound..
still those numbers seem kind of high for someone of your weight and size asking for training help.... what kind of form are you using for these weights

HODGINSx924

HODGINSx924

Awards
Strict form.. I was basicaly working out with someone who had a good 50lbs on me.. I would push myself as far as i could to keep up with what he was doing..

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
still those numbers seem kind of high for someone of your weight and size asking for training help.... what kind of form are you using for these weights
I don't know lol, Some people are genetic freaks, my friend is 5'9, 150lbs and can bench 255lbs for 10 reps.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
In my mind:
Strength - low rep (3-5)
Size - mid rep (6-12)
Endurance - high rep (+12)

It can really be more specific than that since your body is going to perform differently than anyone else on here. You have to find what works for you...

As far as %, as heavy as you can while still hitting those mid reps for multiple sets.

I'm confused as to why you're confused. Your numbers indicate that you probably know a little bit about lifting. You say your diet isn't the sticking point, but you don't know what to do to gain mass and size?

This is a mystery wrapped in a conundrum veiled in secrecy...

Edit: Why the 'HUGE ARMS' in the title? Are you phishing for folk on Google search or something? What does 'HUGE ARMS' have to do with anything?

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
so you use the free bench and squat to parallel?

HODGINSx924

HODGINSx924

Awards
In my mind:
Strength - low rep (3-5)
Size - mid rep (6-12)
Endurance - high rep (+12)

It can really be more specific than that since your body is going to perform differently than anyone else on here. You have to find what works for you...

As far as %, as heavy as you can while still hitting those mid reps for multiple sets.

I'm confused as to why you're confused. Your numbers indicate that you probably know a little bit about lifting. You say your diet isn't the sticking point, but you don't know what to do to gain mass and size?

This is a mystery wrapped in a conundrum veiled in secrecy...

Edit: Why the 'HUGE ARMS' in the title? Are you phishing for folk on Google search or something? What does 'HUGE ARMS' have to do with anything?

I put huge arms.. because I really want my arms to grow bigger and bigger.. haha idk catchy title..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5'9" and 170...your arms are not going to be big. Worry more about overall size growth than just your arms.

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
6 to 8 weeks low rep more sets then 6 - 8 weeks of higher reps less sets when all else fails try the basics

HODGINSx924

HODGINSx924

Awards
5'9" and 170...your arms are not going to be big. Worry more about overall size growth than just your arms.
I know bro.. I already have a Godly like Metab. and im a hardgainer.. For size anyway.. Thats why I was asking.. I want to be big ovarall, and i'll push myself all the way, but I just wanted to be focusing on my arms mainly.. for the next few months

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know bro.. I already have a Godly like Metab. and im a hardgainer.. For size anyway.. Thats why I was asking.. I want to be big ovarall, and i'll push myself all the way, but I just wanted to be focusing on my arms mainly.. for the next few months
Stop right there. Eat more. Gaining mass is simple. It may not be at the same pace for everyone, but anyone can gain mass if they dedicate themselves to it. Progressive overload applies to eating just as mach as it does to training.

HODGINSx924

HODGINSx924

Awards
Stop right there. Eat more. Gaining mass is simple. It may not be at the same pace for everyone, but anyone can gain mass if they dedicate themselves to it. Progressive overload applies to eating just as mach as it does to training.

Well in that case lets talk some diet..
This is a mass gaining diet. I know there is fat free in there, its cuz i want to stay lean.
This is an idea of what im eating on a daily basis, give or take a thing here and there..

Breakfast

Wake up 2 eggs, 1 egg white. (toast & fat free cheese)
Whole wheat bagal. (fat free cream cheese)
Fat free yogurt w/ granola

Lunch

Talopia fish/ Grilled Chicken breast. (Depends on the mood)
PB&J
Banana

Dinner

Red Meat/Pasta
Baked Potato
Fruit
Salad

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
I know this might be a noobie questions.. But please help me out..

BTW its not the diet im confused with.. I have a good mass gaining diet. I just am confused on what to be doing in the gym for the size..

Ok I try to read up on as much as I can when it comes to working out at the gym.. My goals are to get much bigger.. I want to gain strength, but more importantly size!
I need some help on what my training should be..
Should I be doing heavier weights for low reps at low-med sets..
Or should I be doing weights I can rep out 8-12..
I hear so much about both, and I am just so confused on what to do..
I want to get real big size, and strenth.. But how much % of my 1-Rep Max should I be lifting, and how many reps, and sets.. ??
I'm going to offer a suggestion that goes against anyting you've heard or read in the past but give it a try it really works well for me. And it's very simple. Work your target muscle (i.e. arms) first every workout but not more than three times a week. Do this for six weeks and see what happens. It's an old Vince Gironda trick.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well in that case lets talk some diet..
This is a mass gaining diet. I know there is fat free in there, its cuz i want to stay lean.
This is an idea of what im eating on a daily basis, give or take a thing here and there..

Breakfast

Lunch

PB&J
Banana

Dinner

Red Meat/Pasta
Baked Potato
Fruit
Salad
That's it? You need to add in at least 2 more feedings in there. There's not enough calories in there to constitute a "bulking" diet.

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
Breakfast

Lunch

PB&J
Banana

Dinner

Red Meat/Pasta
Baked Potato
Fruit
Salad
thats all you eat in a day i eat that by 10:30 am and you do not know why you can not get big

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
with as many programs there are out there, what have you tried? there is MaxOT, DC, HST and many others that can help you accomplish your goal. try one FOR SEVERAL MONTHS, if you are not making progress then tweak or change to another program....

MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established
You didnt get the post- You do 8 to failure one week.. Then Next week assuming u got stronger you do it 10 times.. The week after assuming you got stronger you do it 12 times..
At this point you want to increase the weight by 2.5/5 lbs.. pretty much increase the weight so you can rep it 8 times to failure.. then start over trying to increase the reps per set until you reach 12 reps per set..
Then you increase the weights again and decrease reps back to 8.
You see? Your not progressively overloading or doing more than you can to failure- your increasing reps before increasing weights.
Again this works for me- my workouts are less complicated, fairly quick, and I get blasted sore each time I hit the gym.. I've gained in my weight, (178 now) and in my measurements.. strength increases are obvious since I track them as well.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
It's really not all that complicated when it comes down to it. Work heavy for ~5 reps on the main compound lifts (SQ, DL, BP, military press, rows) with the focus on driving up the poundages over time. Start by working up to a weight you can do 3 solid sets of 5 with that doesn't require a superhuman effort. Then add 5 lbs. every week. When you stall drop back down and start over. After the main exercise do some higher rep (10-20) work for all the main muscles involved in the big lift. In summary:
1) Work up to heavy 5's on the main compound movement
2) Get a pump in all the main muscles used in the preceding compound lift

HODGINSx924

HODGINSx924

Awards
I'm going to offer a suggestion that goes against anyting you've heard or read in the past but give it a try it really works well for me. And it's very simple. Work your target muscle (i.e. arms) first every workout but not more than three times a week. Do this for six weeks and see what happens. It's an old Vince Gironda trick.

I'll be sure to give that a try. I am considering the FST-7 Workout
It sounds promissing..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Consider eating more.

You asked the same kinds of questions 2 years ago when you joined. Surely you've learned the importance of diet somewhere in there.

HODGINSx924

HODGINSx924

Awards
thats all you eat in a day i eat that by 10:30 am and you do not know why you can not get big
Sorry guys, I completely forgot to mention that i have been taking a mass gainer on top of everything I eat.

Here are a few details on it. (Copy&Paste)

Iso-Mass Xtreme Gainer From Ultimate Nutrition.
Timed Release Mass Gainer Formula With Complex Carbohydrates

65 Grams of Nutrient-Dense Whey Protein per Serving!
Packed with 940 Calories!
Contains 7 Types of Fast-Acting Creatine!
Enhanced with Beta Alanine, 4 Types of Glutamine, AAKG, and Lactoferrin
Platinum Series
Made with Genuine Kre-Alkalyn

ISO-MASS is the future of weight gainers. With a scientifically-formulated carbohydrate to protein ratio of 16:13 ISO-MASS is designed for you to gain serious muscle mass without the added fat deposits. ISO-MASS is formulated with a precise blend of time released proteins, complex carbohydrates, 6 types of creatine for muscle growth, 4 types of glutamine for muscle recovery, a complete vitamin premix for added mind/body functions, a healthy blend of 6 essential fatty acids to improve mind and body, a blend of 4 nitric oxide precursors to enhance vasodilation, a creatine precursor complex to increase the body's natural production of creatine, and an enzyme complex to increase absorption.

SUPPLEMENT FACTS

Mix 3 scoops ISO-MASS with 16 ounces liquid (water or milk). Take 3 servings daily. Use the schedule on the product label to fit ISO-MASS into your preferred daily workout regimen.

Serving Size 3 scoop(s)
Servings Per Container 30

Amount Per Serving % DV

Calories 650.00

Calories from Fat 60.00

Total Fat 7.00 g 11%

Saturated Fat 4.00 g 24%

Cholesterol 30.00 mg 10%

Sodium 200.00 mg 8%

Total Carbohydrate 80.00 g 27%

Dietary Fiber 6.00 g 24%

Sugars 5.00 g

Protein 65.00 g 130%

ISO MASS (Whey Protein Isolate Milk Protein Isolate Egg Isolate Micellar Alpha & Beta Caseins & Caseinates Lactoferrin) 72.00 g **

CARBO MASS (5 DE Maltodextrin Dextrose Oat Fiber) 60.00 g **

CREA MASS (Creatine Monohydrate Tricreatine Malate Kre-Alkalyn® Creatine Orotate Creatine Alpha Ketoglutarate) 7.00 g **

OMEGA MASS (Enzyme Modified Sunflower Oil Powder Medium Chain Triglyceride Powder Borage Oil Powder (Seed) Flax Seed Oil 6.50 g **

VITA MASS 3.22 g **

GLUTA MASS Glutapure® Glutamine Glutamine Alpha Ketoglutarate Glutamine Ethyl Ester N-Acetyl L-Glutamine 2.20 g **

NO MASS (Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate Arginine Ethyl Ester Di-Hydrochloride Ethyl Ester Malate L-Norvaline B. Alaline) 500.00 mg **

BCAA MASS (L-Valine L-Valine Ethyl Ester L-Leucine L-Leucine Ethyl Ester L-Isoleucine L-Isoleucine Ethyl Ester) 550.00 mg **

CP (Creatine Precursor) MASS (Betaine Glycocyamine) 500.00 mg **

ENZYME MASS (Protease Lactase) 250.00 mg **

† Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on
your calorie needs:
Calories: 2000 2500

Total Fat Less than 65 g 80 g
Sat. Fat Less than 20 g 25 g
Cholesterol Less than 300 mg 300 mg
Sodium Less than 2400 mg 2400 mg
Total Carbohydrate 300 g 375 g
Dietary Fiber 25 g 30 g

Calories per gram:
Fat 9• Carbohydrate 4•Protein 4

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
Im not sure what you would consider big arms at 5'9 170?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IDK what he wants us to say, but he's looking for some sort of miracle. All the advice he needs is in this thread, but he's not willing to be patient and eat properly. Seriously, he started a ton of threads about pretty much the same thing 2 years ago when he joined and, while he has made some progress, has not learned how to eat.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey, if you seriously want to bulk and get big, you shouldnt be worrying about how much fat or carbs are in your diet, they are key to bulking, especially with your metabolism.. If your metabolism is like mine, you can down massive amounts of carbs and fats and still stay lean.

HODGINSx924

HODGINSx924

Awards
IDK what he wants us to say, but he's looking for some sort of miracle. All the advice he needs is in this thread, but he's not willing to be patient and eat properly. Seriously, he started a ton of threads about pretty much the same thing 2 years ago when he joined and, while he has made some progress, has not learned how to eat.
You say that I don't eat properly, and that im not patient.
I never asked for immediate results. I also did post an idea of what I eat everyday.. If you have suggestions to what I should be eating then it would be greatly appriciated.

HODGINSx924

HODGINSx924

Awards
Hey, if you seriously want to bulk and get big, you shouldnt be worrying about how much fat or carbs are in your diet, they are key to bulking, especially with your metabolism.. If your metabolism is like mine, you can down massive amounts of carbs and fats and still stay lean.
Ok lets say our metabs are on the same pace..
What do you eat when ur bulking? That I could add to my diet already.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Posting your actual macro intake is a start. You gave out only vague meals and not the actual measurements.

Also, stop using your metabolism as an excuse for not gaining. I started at 145 when I was 18 and was near 210 by the time I was 20. How I did it is simple: I busted my ass in the gym and progressively increased to consuming 6000 calories a day.

It has been said several times by several people in this thread - you need to increase your caloric intake. That is by far the biggest part of gaining mass.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For example, this is my current recomp diet:

Meal 1: 4 eggs (2 whole, 2 whites), 4 oz ground meat, 1 oz cheese, 2 Tbsp salsa, 10 oz red potatoes, 1 Tbsp EVOO (all mixed in a bowl together) and 1 serving fruit
Meal 2: 45g MC, 5g fish oil
Meal 3: 8-10oz chicken, 2 servings green bean (sometimes, it's also with 4 oz dry pasta and sauce)
Meal 4: 15g BCAA, 60g WMS, 25g SuperCarb
Meal 5: 8-10oz chicken, 1/2 large avocado
Meal 6: 45g MC, 5g fish oil
Meal 7: 4-6 eggs

During the weekends, I add in at least another 1000 kcals than this to refuel my body for my weeks training.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
what does your training routine look like

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
What it looks like to me is that you are trying to look like you do in your avi picture and still "bulk".

Those two will cause a major conflict so in actuality you probably realize you would rather have a ripped midsection and are now looking for a miracle like Rodja said.

seanlambo

seanlambo

Awards
yeah you are not eating enough..I'm 5'4" 160aprox, I do a lot of cycling because i don't have a car, for breakfast i start of w 10-15g protien shake w/whole milk aprx8 oz, then at least a 1/2 cup oatmeal, w/butter, cinnamon and 100% pure maple syrup, then I make an 4-6 peices of bacon, I drain some of the grease then cook a small amount of hash browns, 2-3 slices of ham and 2-3 slices cheese with 3-4 whole eggs, i eaty thaat with 2 pices toast, I eat that in the span of about an hour

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
5'9
155lbs

Bench 225x10
Squat 425x1
Deadlift 275x10

something is wrong here.......
god dam, I'm 5' 7'' 195 and I can barely hit 225x8! Squat 365x1, Deadlift 315x5

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
yeah you are not eating enough..I'm 5'4" 160aprox, I do a lot of cycling because i don't have a car, for breakfast i start of w 10-15g protien shake w/whole milk aprx8 oz, then at least a 1/2 cup oatmeal, w/butter, cinnamon and 100% pure maple syrup, then I make an 4-6 peices of bacon, I drain some of the grease then cook a small amount of hash browns, 2-3 slices of ham and 2-3 slices cheese with 3-4 whole eggs, i eaty thaat with 2 pices toast, I eat that in the span of about an hour
hell yes man...close 2nd here.

I wake up and make an entire blender, 2 whole eggs, 1 Full cup of oatmeal, 40g of weigh, 1 tspb of honey, and banana...I do that 2-3 times per day on top of my actual meals.

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
I'll be sure to give that a try. I am considering the FST-7 Workout
It sounds promissing..
Vince was the king of natural bodybuilding. Many of his techniques have been lost due to the advent of steroids and PH's. Vince trained virtually all of the presteroid champs. His methods are legendary. His "up the rack, down the rack" system will add size to your arms in a matter of weeks. If done correctly It’s brutal.

daveydoodle

daveydoodle

Awards
Agreed...more food. If you want bulk quickly, you have to provide a surplus of calories for the muscles. It's harder (and slower) to quickly gain mass while staying lean. Sacrifice one for the other temporarily.