Good program for strength? Yes or No?

DaveWalton

Awards
Just wondering if you guys think this is a good program for significant strength gains?

I mainly ask because it seems like my bench press strength is diminishing after 3 weeks with the program, and it's depressing!

Reps for valuable input!

Workout is below:

Day 1
Deadlift from ground: 3 sets of 5 reps.
Deadlift partials (bar set 18” from ground): 2 sets of 5 reps, 2 sets of 2 reps
Stiff legged deadlifts: 3 set of 10 reps.
Leg Curls: 3 sets of 10 reps
Bent over rows: 3 sets of 10 reps. (straight bar for 2 hand) (kettlebells or dumbells for 1 handed)
Shoulder Shrugs: 3 set of 10 reps, 2 sets of 5 reps.
15 minutes of various ab crunches
Stretch

Day 2
Bench Press: 5 sets of 5 reps
Triceps extension: 5 sets of 10 reps (kettlebells can be used for seated of lying extensions)
Biceps curl (straight bar) 4 sets of 10 reps
Dips (weighted if you can) 6 sets of 10 reps
Power Cardio: Suggestions –farmer’s walk with dumbbells, Carry 100lb plates, carry and load sand bags
Stretch

Day 3
Off

Day 4
Squat or Leg Sled: 3 set of 10 reps, 4 sets of 5 reps
Leg Curl: 4 sets of 10 reps
Calf Raises: 5 sets of 20 reps
Power Cardio: Suggestions -carry and load sand bags, push or pull vehicles, stadium stairs carrying weight
Stretch

Day 5
Military Press: 3 set of 10 reps, 2 sets of 5 reps
Kettlebell Isometric Shoulder Exercises: front raise and hold, side raise and hold. These are great for training for the Crucifix Hold in Strongman
Power Cleans: 3 set of 10 reps, 2 sets of 5 reps
Full Pull with Kettlebell or One Armed Snatch with Dumbell: 3 sets of 10
15 minutes of ab work with a medicine ball
Stretch

Day 6
Build Endurance!
Big Power Cardio Day
Work with Strongman Implements you have or just find some heavy items and lay out a carrying medley

Wind Sprints at 80 percent effort
5 – 100 yards 5 – 50 yards (then add as you need)
This is great for building endurance and wind!
Stretch

Day 7
Off
Suggestion: Get a massage on this day

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks like a solid plan to me bud. Where did u get the program from?

daveydoodle

daveydoodle

Awards
Look into Hypertrophy Specific Training (HST). I'm on a second run of the program (modified slightly for my needs) and have had phenomenal results. I have not put on an overwhelming amount of mass from this, but strength, density and hardness have been great.
If you can't find much, send me a PM and I'll shoot you the 8 week program I'm using.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
for strength I like the advanced 5x5....starting a second go around right now, after a successful load and deload the first time I tried it. I took a week off altogether and now loading up again!!

Mostly all you do is squats, deads, bench and rows, and my squats, bench, and deads have gone up significantly!!

codywaters

codywaters

Awards
look up dave tate... he promotes a 5-3-1 training regime. Above all else you need to feed your skinny ass...

thedawg3545

thedawg3545

Awards
strength wise as long as you have your three main coumpounds (Squat,deadlift and bench) you should get stronger. Three sets of squating though isnt gonna get you alot though, Id move ur set range to 5 or 6