Mass gaining with bad back

sman1217

Awards
During high school as a part of football and track training it was easy to gain weight. I gained 30lbs within a year and half just from normal eating and team lifting. Our program included the staple compound movements: Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Powerclean (best workout for sprinting), Clean, Squat and Presses. However, during my junior year I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, stress fractures, etc. Needless to say, I could no longer do these exercises, excluding bench, for the risk of further damage. I was forced to do leg presses, which IMO are worthless for athletic performance. I am now a sophmore in college and am trying to get back to my playing weight of 173lbs. I am 5'9" 154lbs and want to get back to where I was (big, lean and quick) but need alternative lifts. Thanks for all your help

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Hmm. I have pretty bad scoliosis. Im sure like me you just can't put pressure on the spine. Weighted pull ups are good. Bench, and use a squat machine. Less stress on your back. Not as good, but better than nothing. Bent over rows.. Hmm.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
During high school as a part of football and track training it was easy to gain weight. I gained 30lbs within a year and half just from normal eating and team lifting. Our program included the staple compound movements: Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Powerclean (best workout for sprinting), Clean, Squat and Presses. However, during my junior year I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, stress fractures, etc. Needless to say, I could no longer do these exercises, excluding bench, for the risk of further damage. I was forced to do leg presses, which IMO are worthless for athletic performance. I am now a sophmore in college and am trying to get back to my playing weight of 173lbs. I am 5'9" 154lbs and want to get back to where I was (big, lean and quick) but need alternative lifts. Thanks for all your help
look up dave tates logs on elitefts. he does alot of pin pulls machines for his back with bands attached and it seems to be a pretty intense workout he always knows his stuff.

FreakSho

FreakSho

Awards
Ive got a bad back too. I find the most effective exercises for adding back mass without putting too much stress on the spine to be dumbell rows and chins/pullups. As far as leg exercises there is no replacement for good old fashion squats but you can still make improvments using the leg press and heavy extensions. I dont see why your back would prevent you from benching though.
Good luck.

sman1217

Awards
"I could no longer do these exercises, excluding bench..." I can still bench. Thanks for the tips. I've heard a lot about the benefits of rows and will incorporate them more into my workouts. I guess I just miss those "dreaded" sprint workouts and leg days.