Mass gaining with bad back - AnabolicMinds.com

Mass gaining with bad back

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  154 lbs.

Mass gaining with bad back

During high school as a part of football and track training it was easy to gain weight. I gained 30lbs within a year and half just from normal eating and team lifting. Our program included the staple compound movements: Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Powerclean (best workout for sprinting), Clean, Squat and Presses. However, during my junior year I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, stress fractures, etc. Needless to say, I could no longer do these exercises, excluding bench, for the risk of further damage. I was forced to do leg presses, which IMO are worthless for athletic performance. I am now a sophmore in college and am trying to get back to my playing weight of 173lbs. I am 5'9" 154lbs and want to get back to where I was (big, lean and quick) but need alternative lifts. Thanks for all your help

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  173 lbs.

Hmm. I have pretty bad scoliosis. Im sure like me you just can't put pressure on the spine. Weighted pull ups are good. Bench, and use a squat machine. Less stress on your back. Not as good, but better than nothing. Bent over rows.. Hmm.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by sman1217 View Post
    During high school as a part of football and track training it was easy to gain weight. I gained 30lbs within a year and half just from normal eating and team lifting. Our program included the staple compound movements: Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Powerclean (best workout for sprinting), Clean, Squat and Presses. However, during my junior year I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, stress fractures, etc. Needless to say, I could no longer do these exercises, excluding bench, for the risk of further damage. I was forced to do leg presses, which IMO are worthless for athletic performance. I am now a sophmore in college and am trying to get back to my playing weight of 173lbs. I am 5'9" 154lbs and want to get back to where I was (big, lean and quick) but need alternative lifts. Thanks for all your help
    look up dave tates logs on elitefts. he does alot of pin pulls machines for his back with bands attached and it seems to be a pretty intense workout he always knows his stuff.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'7"  230 lbs.

Ive got a bad back too. I find the most effective exercises for adding back mass without putting too much stress on the spine to be dumbell rows and chins/pullups. As far as leg exercises there is no replacement for good old fashion squats but you can still make improvments using the leg press and heavy extensions. I dont see why your back would prevent you from benching though.
    Good luck.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  154 lbs.

"I could no longer do these exercises, excluding bench..." I can still bench. Thanks for the tips. I've heard a lot about the benefits of rows and will incorporate them more into my workouts. I guess I just miss those "dreaded" sprint workouts and leg days.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Need help gaining mass
    By bige211 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 12:55 AM
  2. Gaining mass and the right supplements!
    By mindset101 in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2011, 12:20 AM
  3. fav mass gaining workout and why? help!!!
    By R1balla in forum Bulking
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-22-2010, 08:03 PM
  4. gaining mass
    By speedfeed in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-16-2009, 01:32 PM
  5. Gaining Mass
    By Stryfe in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-03-2008, 12:44 AM