For best results cut first? or bulk?

keton09

Awards
Ok, Heres the problem. In about 5 months i have a trip to go on and i want to look my best. I was thinking about cutting first and then bulking before the trip. Basically my logic was that the cutting would be hardest and would take more time, therefore, i should do this first in case time becomes a factor. But i do not want to be a little skinny kid, i want to retain my strength and size. so here lys my delima. Cut first and lose size and not have enough time to get back or even bigger with less fat. Or bulk up first, get pretty big and then cut a couple months before the trip and possibly not lose all the fat that i gained during bulking phase. What do you guys think? Which route do you think i would be most happy with? to tell you the truth it is my gf that is wanting me to cut down. She wants the all too elusive six pack abs so she can show me off. But me personally, I just wanna be that big ****in dude that no one wants to **** with.... Girls usually get there way though, ha. Any and all info or suggestions would be helpful. thank you

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Well - you should do what you want to do. You are 18 so am I right in assuming you are going on your senior trip after graduating high school? (no offense intended if you are a college freshmen) If so, you'll be onto other things come the fall 2010 (collegetime!)

Anyway, given the 5 month time frame I think you should cut. Walking the beach you'll probably be happier with a firmer chest, more tapered waste, and possibly that six pack. However, a lean bulk wouldn't be a bad move either. Just make sure you emphasize the 'lean' in lean bulk.

keton09

Awards
Ya, thats what i was thinking. But i did read that the more muscle i put on would burn more calories, thus leaning, burning fat, and getting bigger all at the same time. Not sure what kind of workout and diet to do with this though. Do u still agree with straight cut until then? or should i try to gain as much muscle as possible while watching my diet, kinda like a recomp i believe yall call it maybe? and i just graduated last year. ha Im currently going to the the fire academy and am already a certified emt. while looking for a fire fighting job and going to school for it, im working as a cart pusher at sams. Needless to say my plate is kinda full, but i cant seem to get rid of that iron bug, i was a state qualifier at powerlifting in high school. i would rather be a bum and lift than not lift at all and have a ton of cash. anyways, enough rambling. ha what do you think?

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
It depends on the individual. A super skinny person would wana bulk, a fat person would prolly wana cut.

from my experience, when i was doing fat loss(i'd never trained before), my muscles looked more toned (due to less bf%) and slightly bigger (possibly due to more intra-cellular water retention in the muscles).

For me, 5 months could do wonders in leaning out but if i wanted to gain noticeable muscle, 5 months is not enough. i believe i need atleast 18 months of hard lifting / dietting.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Recomp! Best of both worlds imo im in a constant Recomp. if you dont know what recomp is basically its between bulking and cutting you gain muscle MASS slower cause your not on a bulking diet, but your also shedding off some fat. Think of it like this if you were to devote 100% of time to Bulking or 100% of time to Cutting its more like 50% to cutting and 50% to bulking so your adding some muscle while losing fat generally a slower process but in 5 months i think you can see the results you want.

UKStrength

Great post from the guys above ^^^

I'd concur and do WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, not what the bird wants, it's not very alpha anyway ;) It would seem that your main goal is to be big, so bulk.

If you do a bulk correctly you shouldn't get too fat anyway (never lose sight of the outline of the 'pack' is my rule), so technically every bulk should be a 'lean' one.

Get your diet in check and lift hard and consistently, watch the booze and you could be noticeably bigger come spring break :D

keton09

Awards
Do u have a solid workout program to go buy? Or one I could look up in recomp style? And show my diet be calorie deficit?

keton09

Awards
I mean to go by. Not to purchase ha. N also I was thinking about making some clenviserate and rubbing it on my problem areas. Do u think that would be a good idea?

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Ya, thats what i was thinking. But i did read that the more muscle i put on would burn more calories, thus leaning, burning fat, and getting bigger all at the same time. Not sure what kind of workout and diet to do with this though. Do u still agree with straight cut until then? or should i try to gain as much muscle as possible while watching my diet, kinda like a recomp i believe yall call it maybe? and i just graduated last year. ha Im currently going to the the fire academy and am already a certified emt. while looking for a fire fighting job and going to school for it, im working as a cart pusher at sams. Needless to say my plate is kinda full, but i cant seem to get rid of that iron bug, i was a state qualifier at powerlifting in high school. i would rather be a bum and lift than not lift at all and have a ton of cash. anyways, enough rambling. ha what do you think?
A recomp is the ideal situation we all strive for. It is tough tho. I've been trying a ketogenic diet at 4000cal/day (which is significantly above maintenance). This has been very difficult to maintain tho. It is also expensive. I spend several hundred dollars a week on tuna sashimi from the local asian place. I eat till I'm sick - it is all protein. The workout suffers slightly due to no carbs (thus less weight in the gym). But I am seeing broadness in my shoulders, lats, chest etc. and more abdominal definition in my abs. You really cant cheat on this kind of diet tho or you end up gaining fat and it becomes a lean bulk (which isn't a bad route).

keton09

Awards
Thanks all for info, I appreciate it all. What is talks take on clenviserate? I might use that to help burn a lil fat

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Thanks all for info, I appreciate it all. What is talks take on clenviserate? I might use that to help burn a lil fat
Never used it personally but heard it works pretty well.

country1911

country1911

Banned
Awards
Old saying goes, "lose 10lbs of fat and you will look 10lbs bigger." I am guessing this is due to the definition and better proportions(i.e. smaller waist).

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Old saying goes, "lose 10lbs of fat and you will look 10lbs bigger." I am guessing this is due to the definition and better proportions(i.e. smaller waist).
That maybe true but what isnt true is "lose 10lbs and you will look 10lbs bigger". The operative word here is "fat". If you lose weight it needs to be fat not muscle.

keton09

Awards
So, anyone have a training plan for a cut? Or do u know where I could find one?

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
So, anyone have a training plan for a cut? Or do u know where I could find one?
Check out circuit training and HIIT. Thats a good place to start for cutting. On this recomp I'm attempting I'm swimming 3x/wk. in the morning and lifting 6x/wk in the evening. High cal keto diet.