PULLUPS

deadlift18

Awards
What would be the best exercise to assist in increasing the number of pullups you do,while putting on more mass , besides just doing pullups?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Rows of all sorts, strict pulldowns, band assisted pull ups, weighted pullups, rack chins, pretty much anything that hits the lats good.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
What would be the best exercise to assist in increasing the number of pullups you do,while putting on more mass , besides just doing pullups?
weighted pullups
^x2.

Dead hang pullups too. Hang at the bottom for at least a full second or 2 before the pull up. Really helps me when I'm trying to increase the volume of pullups I'm doing.

Ironloo

weighted pullups, 3 sets max out reps 1 minute break between sets, heavy dumbell rows

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
i can do 31 deadhang pullups wide grip palms out.. i start every back workout with a max set of pullups then circut train between 5 other excersizes. 5 sets per excersizes.

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
bent over dumbbell rows
t-bar rows
seated rows
seated high rows
seated low rows.

normally do sets of 12 10 8 6 4

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
i can do 31 deadhang pullups wide grip palms out.. i start every back workout with a max set of pullups then circut train between 5 other excersizes. 5 sets per excersizes.
this guy is trying to sound all strong when you know hes really a weakling only weighing like 159 and 5 foot 8. hahahahaha if your gonna lie about your lifting strength you might as well lie about how much you weigh too

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
do bent over barbell rows. start with 135lbs and make sure your back stays arched or completely flat.

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
Buster 0371. pullups aren't hard. just because you are a fat ass and cant pull your self up to a bar 31 times doesn't mean any one can't do it. and just doing one type of back excersize isn't going to help. you need to target the muscles in the back from all sorts of angles so that the over all strength and size grows how it is supposed to. and don't do sets of just one weight. you need to change the weights and repetitions up some.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
Buster 0371. pullups aren't hard. just because you are a fat ass and cant pull your self up to a bar 31 times doesn't mean any one can't do it. and just doing one type of back excersize isn't going to help. you need to target the muscles in the back from all sorts of angles so that the over all strength and size grows how it is supposed to. and don't do sets of just one weight. you need to change the weights and repetitions up some.
hahaha dont try to lecture me on how to work out. I guarantee you dont know **** compared to me. What you need to do is stop lying about how many pullups you can do and put some ****ing muscle on that puny ass with some powerlifting or maybe some Tribulus and an AI (Aromatase Inhibitor) if your gains are coming too slow, which I immagine they are.

fyi - 2 people repped me saying "i dont think he can do that many pullups either"

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Just hit your back with a variety of exercises at different angles.

Also doing inverted rows, with your feet elevated, nice and slow delivers a nice burn.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
No offense but, If I weighted 159, I could surely do 30 pullups, perhaps even more. Difference is, I sure as hell wouldn't gloat about the number, esp @ 159, on a thread where a guy is asking for advise, not for how big your ego is.

Now, in terms of OP's question, keep at the bb rows, and full ROM lat pulls. Also, add in clap pullups. These tend to add in alot of "bottom" strength when you go back to dead hanging pullups.

---> YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

If they look intimidating, dont worry bout it. Do a couple, rest, repeat. Your pull ups should go up quite a bit by adding these in.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
loose weight lol
I second that! LOL. If I lost 20lbs I could probably do 30 chinups easy.

2 exercises that might be helpful besides losing weight and just doing more pullups.

1. bent over rows with small barbell
2. dumbell rows with long reach.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
When you do pullups, shoot for 50 total reps. However many sets it takes you to get there, so be it, the point being to gradually improve strength until it takes fewer and fewer sets to achieve 50 reps. After each set, grab hold of something and lean back to really stretch your lats.

Makes sure you're doing full range of motion pullups and not being sloppy. The whole point is to train the muscles, so you want to give them the benefit of full range of motion. So all the way up as far as you can go, then all the way down into a good stretch. Of course, the more you do the more limited your range of motion will become due to fatigue. It usually end the set when I can't pull myself up as high as I can go, allowing for a couple inches of drop. Then I stretch, rest for a moment and as soon as I feel ready to go, I do more. I keep this going until I get to 50. I was doing this twice per week but I'm thinking of doing it once per week and doing close-grip pullups or pulldowns in place of the other. It works pretty well though. Anyway, peace...

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
If you don't mind me throwing in my 2 cents...there are a number of exercises that might help and some people listed them above. However, IMO I don't think there is any exercise that can help you do more pullups. Pullups is a relatively difficult exercise to master. I've had them same issue as you, but I incorporate them into my workout each week and have gotten way better at them.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There is a link to a pull-up challenge I did in my signature below. My only recommendation regarding it is, don't do it as a 100 day challenge. Instead do it as 2 50 day challenge. Start at day 1-50 and then repeat. This will help prevent an overuse injury like I got. This is as a supplement to any regular workouts you have. Albeit you may need to make a few minor adjustments.

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
am i the only one who actually thinks 31 pullups is good? i mean i can only do like low 20s maybe and thats with a close grip palms facing me.

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
hahaha dont try to lecture me on how to work out. I guarantee you dont know **** compared to me. What you need to do is stop lying about how many pullups you can do and put some ****ing muscle on that puny ass with some powerlifting or maybe some Tribulus and an AI (Aromatase Inhibitor) if your gains are coming too slow, which I immagine they are.

fyi - 2 people repped me saying "i dont think he can do that many pullups either"
160 isn't puny at 5 8...wtf are you thinking.

Pull-ups are easier when you weigh less.

I'm 5 7 195, I can do 20 pullups.

and....tribulus and an AI, are you joking yourself? Thats not going to put on mass by any means whatsoever. Test gains will certainly not be that substantial. It may assist in loosing fat...

lay off the guy man, hes if he's insecure enough to lie on the internet about his strength to make himself feel better then let him have it...:bigok:

mikethebeast

Awards
buster0371 sounds like you have a lot to learn in the fitness area, for starters you dont want to arch your back when doing dumbell rows because it takes all the tension of your lats which means you wont get as good of gains doing cheat reps like you do. As for the knowledge mat 6969 definatley sounds like he has alot more knowledge then you, you always want to do more then one exercise for a muscle group to hit the muscles needed to build your back and also switch up workouts to shock it and keep you from hitting a platue. As for size you seem to be carying around some plump blue boobies and doesnt really look like anyone should take advice from you.

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
buster0371 sounds like you have a lot to learn in the fitness area, for starters you dont want to arch your back when doing dumbell rows because it takes all the tension of your lats which means you wont get as good of gains doing cheat reps like you do. As for the knowledge mat 6969 definatley sounds like he has alot more knowledge then you, you always want to do more then one exercise for a muscle group to hit the muscles needed to build your back and also switch up workouts to shock it and keep you from hitting a platue. As for size you seem to be carying around some plump blue boobies and doesnt really look like anyone should take advice from you.
In Busters defense he said arch back during BARBELL rows not dumbell, and i think he means like the opposite of your back being rounded. This is how i do mine too, even tho i rarely do them.

Mutliple back excersises is the best way to go i agree.

And i defended you but Buster you did seem kinda like a **** in your posts.

illgixxer

Awards
  • Established
I like this thread because I have trouble increasing my pull up reps even though I do them at the beginning of each workout. No matter what grip I use I can't do more then 12, and it drops off quicker than other lifts, for example, 12, 8, 6 or so but I'm going to try doing assisted pullups at the end of my workouts.