5x5 routine question

jmonteil

Awards
I'm curious about the 5x5 routine. I've never really had a strict workout plan, I kinda just do whatever I feel like hasn't been destroyed enough and it works pretty well. I never liked doing the same stuff every week for a couple months it gets too boring. But the 5x5 seems cool. My question is whether its geared towards size gains or what?? I'm a pretty small build and have to work hard to gain even a pound after weeks. Would this routine be something that might be good for me or just stick to heavy weight and low rep routines.

cheers

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i would stick with heavy weight low reps for big movements at the start of your workout and then make hytrophy your goal

Tansui

Tansui

Awards
  • Established
I use a Post-Exhaust 5x5 routine and its designed to increase strength on evey lift, and depending on diet that should translate in to size and weight growth.

Mass and Muscularity: The Post-Exhaust Routine

You've no doubt heard of the “pre-exhaust technique.” The post-exhaust compound set is the exact opposite. The post-exhaust technique requires that you perform a heavy multi-joint movement for a body part followed by a lighter single-joint movement for that same body part. An example of this would be a bench press followed immediately by dumbbell flyes. The beauty of this technique is three-fold:

1. You develop the pure fast-twitch muscle fibers with a heavy compound movement and then hit the intermediate fast-twitch muscle fibers with the lighter movement.
2. The post-exhaust technique allows you to extend the volume of a set, without compromising intensity.
3. This technique also allows you to hit the body part from different angles with more than one exercise, without overextending the length of your workout. This way you can work on both bulk and symmetry.

... Remember to use as much weight as you can on the first exercise of the compound set and move the weight as quickly as possible. This will activate the pure fast-twitch muscle fibers, which have the most growth potential. On the second exercise, use lighter weight with a more controlled tempo. Emphasize constant tension on this second exercise.
source http://forum.108spirits.net/showthread.php?t=793

Tansui

Tansui

Awards
  • Established
I like it because its the fastest way to I have seen to get in a good full workout I can do 2 body groups a day in 30-40 mins. and be sore as hell the next day increasing my max on every lift.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
For the post exhaust method do you perform more than 5 reps on your seconds exercise? This is the exercise with the controlled movement.

I was thinking of :

Chest/Tricep Day

Bench Press 5x5
DB Fly's 4x12

Weight Tricep Dips 5x5
Skull Crushers 4x12

Does this sound like a way to go?

Tansui

Tansui

Awards
  • Established
I do 5x5 on the second exercise too just real slow (3 count up 3 count down) with enough weight fail on last set. the split looks nice, but the 1st exercise should be fatiguing you enough to ave you shaking by the 3rd set on the second exercise. But that's just how i do it if you try more reps and like it and it works for you go for it bro