Changing excercise every time you work out???

chris808costa

chris808costa

Awards
So I was wondering if it would be a good idea if you changed your routine every time you work out. Is it like intense muscle confusion or is it a bad idea?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I generally change it every session (e.g. different grips, angles). I especially do this with back since it is a such a large complex of muscles.

jim623

It's hard for the body to adjust and become efficient when changing up regularly. I even change the angle of incline bench every session.

chris808costa

chris808costa

Awards
It's hard for the body to adjust and become efficient when changing up regularly. I even change the angle of incline bench every session.
so how long should you keep the same routine before you change it up???

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so how long should you keep the same routine before you change it up???
Answered initial question in your other thread, although, like Rodja I change session-by-session (but always progress). If what you are doing you keep getting progress on, keep going until progress plateaus and then change it up would be my general recommendation.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
dont change the main movements everywork like deads,bench,rows,chins etc.. but i always change from say barbell curls to ez bar to cable to dbs etc.. and also different attachments for triceps i use different one every workout

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Look at how DC is structured. you have 2 workout days (chest/shoulders/tris/back width/back thickness and bis/forearms/calves/hams/quads) but 3 separate sets of exercises for each. So you only repeat a given exercise every 12 days. For instance tomorrow for chest is decline BB, in 4 days it will be incline bb, then 4 days later flat bb, then 4 days after decline BB again. your body never really adjusts to it, I haven't seen a plateau yet.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
I LOVE changing things up every session. I think it has both a positive physical effect as well as a mental effect.