need back help

booya123

Awards
im looking for a good back routine i can try. I always leave the gym and feel i didn't get a good back workout what i been doing recently is
bent over rows 3x8 (barbell)
lat pull down 3x8 (machine)
horizontal row 3x8 (machinel)
dead lift 1x5 (barbell)

should i try lowering the weight and adding more reps maybe there's a diff exercise i should try?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
form is key for back. a lot of guys you see swing the weight and it shows in their arms and lack of back.

check out the Recent Muscular Development in your store and read Back training by Dorian Yates. it is this months. do not wait because a new one will come out

also doing a google search on Dorian Yates, back training most likely will help

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
i've split DLs and other back movements into different days.
i do DLs and pull ups on one pull day, then bent rows. DB rows, rack chins, and shrugs on my next pull day...3 days apart. 3x8 is fine as long as you are controlling the weight and concentrating on the squeeze.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Come out the gate with either PULLUPS! or Deads.

Get off the damn machines!

Good mornings.

Weighted Pullups.

More pullups.

And if you do "Karate" Pullups (sh*tty form,) don't expect anything other than people making faces at you.

Jay V 24

Jay V 24

Banned
Awards
Weighted chins/pulls

I like the Hi iso row machine (plate loaded)

Low cable rows with a close grip bar

Go heavy, strap your hands to the bar if you have to.

I try to get in at least 16 sets for back.

Dont sell yourself short. The back has a lot of muscle groups. Do More sets!

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
ok i will give u one without pull ups because i cant do them without my shoulder killing

Deadlift pull 3 reps untill you cant add no more now pull a heavy single
then take the barbell load up one side put the other side in a corner have someone put a foot on it. put the v bar around the barbell and row using just ur back. This will make ur ROM shorter but u will be using ur whole back. 4 x 10
Islated pulldowns Where you do each handle at the same time but there handles not a bar. This way you can adjust the width and height to get the best muscle stimulation 3 x 20
Then 2 sets of lower back work 3 x 8-15 reps

if u still have anything in the tank do a machine for 3 sets to just feel a pump everyone to failure.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
An exercise i pulled from P90X which i feel works very well for the back is Seated Bent-over Back Fly this is generally what you do i assume theres other ways to do it but i usually do it this way

Sitting on the very edge of a chair, start with a dumbbell in each hand, palms facing each other. Bending over slightly at the waist, keep your head up and pull the dumbbells up by pulling your elbows way out as far as you can.

Remember that the point of this exercise is to pull OUT, not up. If you're elbows are close to your body at the top of the movement, you need to pull wider during the repetition. You may need to drop the weight or the resistance a bit if you are having trouble keeping proper form.

Ive never tried these another thing i saw in P90X Corn-Cob Pullups they seem very hard lol heres a vid of them [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_YSf8U_O0w&NR=1"]YouTube- p90x Corn Cob Pull Ups[/ame]

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
All right. I know how to build a wide, solid back, as you can see. Without even reading anyone else's posts, I can give you one helluva back routine. First off, deads and/or bent BB rows should be a staple. Another lift you should always include is pulllovers. I don't give a f*ck what anyone says about pullovers being for chest. They are wrong. Pullovers work your lats PERIOD. I always do pullovers for back because I feel it in my lats, NOT my chest. You can do BB or DB pullovers, it really doesn't matter, as long as you do them. I personally prefer DB pullovers, because I feel it targets my outer lats better that way, which gives me the excellent V shape that you have already noticed in my avi pic. Chicks dig that btw.

Soooo, to give you an example of a w/o that you could attempt, so that hopefully, maybe, by some chance, you might be lucky enough to have lats like mine (doubtful as it may be), here is an example of a perfect back routine. I did this, in fact, two days ago.

Bent BB Rows 135/warm-up, 225x12, 275x10, 315x8, 335x5, 275x8
Wide grip Pull-ups bodyweight 13, 10, 8, 6, 5
narrow grip cable rows (can't remember weight) 4 x 11, 10, 8, 8
DB pullovers 120 x 13, 9, 8, 6

Total 18 sets

I work the sh!t outta my back, because I see it as being the largest most multifaceted muscle group, next to quads. I hit shoulders/traps in a very similar manner, doing around 20 sets, hence the incredibly wide delts which help to accentuate the excellent V shape.

GICH!

BigRedSwoll89

Awards
cable lat pulldowns

t-bar rows

reverse grip low straight bar rows

Ironloo

I dont think there are enough sets reps if i were you i would do all free weight dumbbells or barbells for most of your workout put all your focus on compounds in the beginning i hate machines but i i use them they will be way at the end of the workout. Now i just finished my back workout yesterday it went like this deadlifts 5 sets increase weight 10 -30lbs a set last set close to max rep it 1 or 2 reps fine strip weights down to 225lbs or whatever max them out till you cant move now deadlifts are complete. Heavy dumbell rows 3-4sets of 10 reps. Next high pulls these are excellent for upper back 3 sets of 8-10. next heavy shrugs 5 sets just destruy these as many reps you can heavy weight form as well hold top 1 sec extend to bottom 1 sec. pullups you should be doing for fun anyway to keep your pulling strength maintained or surpassed. if you do have hammer strength machines plate loaded use those instead after all the free weight. then bent over lateral raises end them with back extensions weighted now work your abs thats all for this workout if you still feel you did get a great workout try much harder and eat alot after these types of workouts.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Heavy weight with strict technique will deliver results. Also, incorporate a lot of stretching in your routine. After every pulldown exercise, I'll really give the lats a stretching. After every rowing exercise, I flex a lot. After my entire back workout, I do a lot of stretching, such as hanging from a bar with a wide grip for as long as I can.

Do pull-ups and use strict form, going up until your chin is past the bar and your lats contracted, then lowering yourself to a full stretch.

My back workout usually looks like:
Pull-ups x 50 reps (As many sets as it takes with short rest periods)
Bent-over Rows 4 x 10-12, 8-10, 6-8, 4-6
Deadlifts (once per week, after warm ups I'll do 3 x 8, then two lower rep sets)

Sometimes I'll do close-grip pull-ups, or use the pulldown machine in place of pull-ups. Sometimes I'll do seated cable rows or T-bar rows instead of BB rows.

But strict form and good technique will help you out more than anything. Once I was using more weight but with sloppier form and since then, I've lessened the amount of weight I use, make sure I'm a lot stricter, and it's really payed off.

Good luck!