BBing and boxing?

MHA

Awards
  • Established
I just started to do heavy bag training. Is this goin to mess up my BBing, will I be over training?What's the best split for lifting/heavy bag training so I'm not over doin it? Any others in the same shoes? What do you do?

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
choose a sport. You can either be pretty good at both or u can be really good at one. Thats my suggestion.

Jay V 24

Jay V 24

Banned
Awards
Id avoid it. I started muay thai with a friend in early 09 and sustained a few injuries which kept me out of the gym. Anything that is going to impede your goals as a BB'r, avoid it. That is, if youre serious. I dont compete but not being able to SFW was depressing, even if it was only for a week or so.

Boxing is good cardio though. If you feel you're losing gains because of all the cals burned, stop...or just up cals. But getting hurt in any sport will leave you out of commision and unable to lift. i understand youre just whacking the bag around, so you should be fine.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
boxing is tons of cardio, if you eat more to compensate you're gonna be pretty bulk and slow in the ring.

Id choose 1 or the other, they dont mix

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Id avoid it. I started muay thai with a friend in early 09 and sustained a few injuries which kept me out of the gym. Anything that is going to impede your goals as a BB'r, avoid it. That is, if youre serious. I dont compete but not being able to SFW was depressing, even if it was only for a week or so.

Boxing is good cardio though. If you feel you're losing gains because of all the cals burned, stop...or just up cals. But getting hurt in any sport will leave you out of commision and unable to lift. i understand youre just whacking the bag around, so you should be fine.
This.

Depends on what you want. I boxed for quite a while and also picked up muay thai a couple years back. For the goals you want in both,..... they really dont mix. It depends on how serious you are about both bb'ing and boxing. The cardio can kill your gains in the gym(being high intensity), and the bag training also tends to overtrain your upperbody.

If you are quite adamant about doing both, I would suggest maybe a 3 day w/o routine, with a coupe days in between bag training and shoulder day/back day. This will minimize overtraining, and also do interval training on the bag. You can do both, but dont expect major gains in the gym, as if you where doing no high intensity cardio (boxing) at all.

I go back to boxing during my pre-summer cut, but I also re-arrange my routine so I wont overtrain the upperbody, or legs, for kicks/knee day. And make sure you get PLENTY of rest. With this, along with a clean diet, and an organized routine; I dont see why you cant do both, if you do in fact love doing both. You will just have to sacrifice a little, to get a little.

aj power

aj power

Awards
  • Established
I just started to do heavy bag training. Is this goin to mess up my BBing, will I be over training?What's the best split for lifting/heavy bag training so I'm not over doin it? Any others in the same shoes? What do you do?
I like both but if you use any gear that is hard on the joints and do heavy bag you will end up needing months off for the ellbows to recover.,

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Ive done both and I competed in boxing. Golden Gloves runner up in 08 :(.

They are the definiton of opposites. Pick one.

seanlambo

seanlambo

Awards
i do heavy bag training and a bodybuilding split and ride my bike 5-10 miles a day, i'm not a serious bodybuilder, i just lift wrights to get bigger and strongeer and eat mad food, If your not like a competitive bber and just do it for pleasure i would think adding heavy bag training would be sweet, i do it, but like i said i'm not about to get a;ll greased up and wear a thong on stage, I lift weights to build muscle and be strong

Spooly

Spooly

Awards
i aint no bb but i lift to get stronger and stay healthy but i love to hit bag after lifting to stretch out i like to lift but dont want to be too stiff. guys at the gym trip out i weigh around 180ish and bench 385 1 rep max and still hit bag with not gasing out. dont want to be big for nothing all show no go:veryhappy:

MHA

Awards
  • Established
Thanks bros, and yea I'm not tryin to be the new Mr Olympia or the next heavy weight champ. I just like lifting and like watchin MMA and boxing so that's why I wanted to pick it up

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
It was pretty hard training muay thai, then trying to do calf raises on leg day. Its almost impossible to stick to a bb schedule because you're never sure what's going to be sore after training.