Warming up for heavy sets....

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Now I'll put what I do first....stretch a good bit, then usually 10 reps with a 45 on each side, then add 35's for 3, 35's for 3 more, 35's for 3...now I'm up to 345, and starting to get poopered. Add another pair of 25 for 395 and 3 reps...then add 10 or 15 or 20 pounds....

Now I start my 3 sets of 5 reps (deloading on the 5x5 right now), and after the 1st set I'm beat and feel like quitting, but finish up the last 2 sets somehow. This is for squats and deads....

Doing bench press I work up to 300 quickly and that's close to my weight for a working set so that goes well.

But my question to you all is this....Should I be warming up with lighter sets then jump right into the heavier weights for the sets, or is the way I'm going sensible? Knock on wood I haven't pulled or sprained anything yet, but I get worn out just warming up!!

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I tend to do a little bit of stretches (and remember not static stretches like after a workout, but moving stretches) and then do a set of 10 with 50% of working weight, and then a set of 5 with 70-80% of working weight then do full working weight

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
way too much warm-up... Do a couple ballistic stretches to get the blood flowing, hit a set of 6-8 at maybe 60% of your working load, then do your sets

May take the CNS some getting used too but ya your wasting a lot of energy with all those extra sets

lol basically what EJ said now that i read his post

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I agree with these guys.

Your warm up is about getting your heart rate up, ,and get that blood flowing into the working muscles.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I forgot I asked this LOL!!

Yeah, I'm gonna try your guys' advice and see if that gives me more oomph to lift with.....I'm sure it will!!

Thanks!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
frankz2 Training Forum 6
tommy j Anabolics 25
NeighbourMike Anabolics 17
benmayro Training Forum 21
Powerlifting/Strongman 12