Love Deadlifts/Squats but dont want to hurt myself

Pitbull14218

Pitbull14218

Awards
I understand proper form is very important, for the last month i have been doing squats once a week and deadlifts once a week. i dont think i go very heavy, i dont use wrist wraps nor a belt for my deadlifts. I make sure im warmed up good and i do probly 4 working sets of deadlifts adding more weight each set. On my last set im probly around 185lbs not much but im not using a belt or wraps... when should i use a belt? How much weight?

I do the same with my squats i warm up with a light weight add more and more, i dont squat much i feel at the bottom i start leaning forward alittle too much i think due to not being very flexible. I just have a little sore spot in the middle of my back and i just dont want to end up being hurt when im older... so i dont know if the strange feeling in my back is a bad sign or just being sore, it doesnt hurt but i can feel it if i twist. just want some thoughts on if i should get a belt for my back.

Thx

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Does the spot get sore after squats, deadlifts, both? My first thought is a compression issue on your spine, while doing squats.

Pitbull14218

Pitbull14218

Awards
I forgot to say this but I'm only squating like my body weight 160lbs. I just got the feeling in
my back today I went to the gym yesterdy, I keep getting stronger each day I do these excersizes. I don't lock out my knee's but I think it's still a toll on them and I'm not going past parrarel... Idk I do have a little soreness in my right knee maybe it's normal like I said yesterday was squats.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Doing partial squats are worse for the knee's.

Well it sounds like this is happening after squats. Again, I think its a compression issue in your back. Try lightening the load, and perform your reps slower. See if you still have pain the following day.

Do you stretch your neck foreword, when performing squats?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
ok someone correct me if im wrong cuz this is realy starting to get on my nerves.. the muscles by your lower back are the spinal errctors right? There a muscle sooo why the hell arent they allowed to get sore? espicallly after u worked them out?

Pitbull14218

Pitbull14218

Awards
Well I go down as far as I can where I dont feel like I'll start to fall back. I keep my head looking straight forward and chest out back tight... Icould be going to fast though! I think this happened after I got stronger because when I warm up with the 25's then 35's then do the 45lbs but even with the 45's it's still light and I went up faster then normal with 135 and the weights clanked on the bar once... Could be me doing it too fast.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Well I go down as far as I can where I dont feel like I'll start to fall back. I keep my head looking straight forward and chest out back tight... Icould be going to fast though! I think this happened after I got stronger because when I warm up with the 25's then 35's then do the 45lbs but even with the 45's it's still light and I went up faster then normal with 135 and the weights clanked on the bar once... Could be me doing it too fast.
yes thats deffintely the reason, i did that the other day and hurt my back a bit.. but u gotta remember hammer ur core. revery hypers, regular hypers, back extentions good mornings tons of ab work.....

and if u cant get low enough for the squat work out ur problems and get to below parallel they way there suppose to be done... for exxample i never worked legs always deadlifted and my hamstrings were dominant so i could never get low enough for squats and my hip adductors? i think were too tight like my inner thighs.. so i had to do stretches to loosen then and did the squat machine that puts all the stress on ur quads.. i did that lowered the weight and now i cna squat fine.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Foam roll your back, hips, and thighs after every session. This helps to release the fascia and gets out a lot of the kinks within the muscle.

Pitbull14218

Pitbull14218

Awards
I can't even touch my toes my hamstrings are so tight. I think I have kinda long limbs, i also don't understand how I'm supposed to be in and out of the gym in 45 min I feel like my workout takes over a hour from warming up sets and rest in between my sets. I'll wait til my back feels better before I go to the gym againt, it's the middle of my back a couple inchs to the left of my spine only one side...

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Foam roll your back, hips, and thighs after every session. This helps to release the fascia and gets out a lot of the kinks within the muscle.
I love using the foam roll!

OP, I think you need to look into getting a foam roll. I can't believe I forgot to mention one. Its made a big difference in tension, and stiffness in the muscles. especially my back.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you can't touch your toes, you have some serious flexibility issues. Your WO can take longer than 60 minutes. Most do not get in a seriously heavy session including their warm-up and cool-down in less than 60 minutes. If it takes you 75 minutes, you're fine.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
If you can't touch your toes, you have some serious flexibility issues. Your WO can take longer than 60 minutes. Most do not get in a seriously heavy session including their warm-up and cool-down in less than 60 minutes. If it takes you 75 minutes, you're fine.
i cant touch my toes? it doesnt mean u have flexability issues i have real short arms.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
i cant touch my toes? it doesnt mean u have flexability issues i have real short arms.
never met anyone, who couldn't touch their toes. Unless do to flexibility.

Also look up "front Squats". See how that variation works for you. Flexibility in the shoulders is important for this variation.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unless your arms a 6 inches long, you should be able to touch your toes. To me, you should be able to place your palms on the ground.

Pitbull14218

Pitbull14218

Awards
I think I have long limbs but a short mid section, I would need someone to push on my back in order for me to touch my toes!

For my back idk if it's my bed or office chair, it feels different today idk no pain.

Kevin R

Awards
  • Established
If you are new to this, make sure you are not confusing back pain with muscle soreness. When I started deadlifting, my lower back felt "hurt" but was actually just the muscles getting sore after a lift. Make sure you get to know your body. If you feel there is a problem -- there probably is. However, if this soreness goes away after a couple days like regular leg DOM, I think you are okay. Just make sure you have proper form.

Not saying everything is all good -- just speaking from experience.

Pitbull14218

Pitbull14218

Awards
I know what I feel isn't muscle soreness, I just don't know what to do besides wait...

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i can do every other stretch, i can touch my toes sitting down just not standing up, i can come kinda close. i can get below parrallel on squats, i have no tightness issues anymore.. your telling me ronnie coleman etc can touch there toes? doubt it.