Strange Bicep Pain -- Tendonitis?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Answers

Strange Bicep Pain -- Tendonitis?

Well, my left shoulder has been clicking for some time. If I extend my arm 90 degrees to me side and then rotate my entirearm/foreman I feel something pop over a bone....my chiropracter says its the bicep tendon popping in/out of its groove at the acromial joint?

Anyhow, its never truly bothered me.

However, the other day, I was doing usual back/bicep exercise and after the work out for the past 2 weeks I've felt a weird sensation in my bicep of that arm. Its like a very minor pinching feeling/pressure point sensation deep in side that I can't really pin-point. It doesn't hurt, but when I do certain movements I feel a deep pressurepoint like sting/burn for a split second. It almost like my bicep was overstretched....

- no pain when I lift any weights....I can curl a 50lb dumbell clean and slowly no pain. I can perform weighted pull ups with no pain....but my arm still feels strange?

Any ideas? Does it sound liek tendonitis stemming from the jumping tendon in my shoulder?

2. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

A little bit. I am prone to tendonitis and it started with a poping in my shoulder. You should be able to pick up a wrap with a pad looking thing to wear on your arm to prevent tendon movement. Everytime I start to feel like its coming back I break it out.

If it does start to become sore, Motrin and rest will be your best friend. The only cure for tendonitis is REST and lots of it. Correct form, warm ups and stretching are all preventative measures.
  3. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Your bicep has zero involvement with pronation/supination of the radius/ulna. As said, it sounds like the tendon is slightly dislodged near the origin. Without an MRI, it's impossible to truly know.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Answers

its so weird....I cannot pinpoint the pain.

Its not even pain...its like Ill be driving the car and turn the steering wheel and feel awkward ness. Its like someone is pressing on a pressure-point somewhere up my arm.

I cannot, by any mean, generate sensativity or pain by touching/massing my bicep, shoulder, or pec....its just when I lift my arm in general I feel this weird twinge/burn in my upper-inner-bicep-armpit-front-delt-area

I can Fly 75lb dumbells wide, I can bench 225 a few times, I can dead lift, I can do weighted pullups.....nothing makes it hurt during a workout routine. Its only when my arm is not under load?

Does this even sound like tendonitis?
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.
    Answers

try a chiropractor- might help
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Answers

went to chiro today again.

He said my bicep tendon is jumping out of the groove, the rubbing of the tendon as it jumps in/out is causing the tendonitis. The tendonitis in the shoulder is triggering nerves down around the bicep tendon in my arm which is why I can't pinpoint the pain.

He said the Transverse Humeral Ligament is likely stretched out. This is the ligament that holds the tendon in its groove.

He said not to worry about the tendonitis, not to stop working out, not to worry about icing it etc...he said continue lifting hard but if you feel pain during movements don't do those movements. Theres nothing else to do but massage the ligament area until the ligament tightens up and trying to align the shoulder/workout the rear deltoid moreso. He said avoid any movements which causes the popping and take ibuprofen as necessary.

What do you guys think? Get back to pounding the weights as long as the exercises don't hurt it?
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  198 lbs.
    Answers

I just got tendonitus myself. I'm taking Ibuprofen and some extra rest days. (both from my manual labor job and working out.) Mine is the elbow, tricep tendon I think.

Anyway's what I've read, the consensus is:
    REST
    ICE
    Ibuprofen
    and most important......
    stop doing what is causing it! Mine is more severe, at least in that I can feel it without even lifting. So I am doing the ice and rest. For you his advice sounds ok to me, of course I'm a noob to this just like you I guess. Definately have to figure out the exercise, or poor warm up/form that is causing it. No one exercise is worth your health.

For me I think it was overhead tri extensions. I was using this tricep bar thing, and the handles are so close on the thing, and I went too heavy without enough warm ups too probably.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by DipsRus View Post
    I just got tendonitus myself. I'm taking Ibuprofen and some extra rest days. (both from my manual labor job and working out.) Mine is the elbow, tricep tendon I think.

Anyway's what I've read, the consensus is:
    REST
    ICE
    Ibuprofen
    and most important......
    stop doing what is causing it! Mine is more severe, at least in that I can feel it without even lifting. So I am doing the ice and rest. For you his advice sounds ok to me, of course I'm a noob to this just like you I guess. Definately have to figure out the exercise, or poor warm up/form that is causing it. No one exercise is worth your health.

For me I think it was overhead tri extensions. I was using this tricep bar thing, and the handles are so close on the thing, and I went too heavy without enough warm ups too probably.
    what does it feel like? mine is just a very very suddle burning sensation when I move my arm a certain way....like a lactic acid burn deep down in there some where....no exercise makes it hurt tho :/

I never ever do overhead or extended tri exercises.....I stick to close grip/dips/push downs. Over head is way to unnatural in my opinion and puts way to much pressure on the elbows....I sometimes get this electric numbing feeling on my inner elbows/funny bone area does overhead/pull-overs...feels unnatural.
  9. dpfisher

Exercise would usually make it feel better actually unless you are really pounding on it. Be careful with it or you might end up like me. I had to take 9 months off lifting, couldn't turn a doorknob without pain, had to ask other people to use screwdrivers for me, and had the grip strength of a 12 year old girl. I'm not better but at least I'm strong enough for normal activities now. Lost about an inch on the arm too.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.
    Answers

I would keep exercising, Ice immediately after, maybe get some ultrasound therapy done for the inflamation, as well as ibuprofen. Also light stretches before and after should be important. If it gets too bad, maybe take a break for a week, I know that is a huge setback, but it might pay off in the future. IMO
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dpfisher View Post
    Exercise would usually make it feel better actually unless you are really pounding on it. Be careful with it or you might end up like me. I had to take 9 months off lifting, couldn't turn a doorknob without pain, had to ask other people to use screwdrivers for me, and had the grip strength of a 12 year old girl. I'm not better but at least I'm strong enough for normal activities now. Lost about an inch on the arm too.

I work for a chiropractor and we currently have an elderly lady coming in that says she can't even grip her keys to turn the knob, and its getting progressively worse....I was just wondering if you ever found out the cause, and what did you do to get healthy?????
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  198 lbs.
    Answers

It's not really a burning pain, just a "tightness" pain. I can feel it when I bend my elbow, with no weight at all on it. Since last night I must also agree with Tone, I'm forcing myself to take a week off, and if you're worried about your pain, it's probably for the best for you too. I'm done with tri-extensions too. Bench press, military press, and dips are all you need for killer tris. (as in all the exercises that are natural type of movements.)
  13. dpfisher

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    I work for a chiropractor and we currently have an elderly lady coming in that says she can't even grip her keys to turn the knob, and its getting progressively worse....I was just wondering if you ever found out the cause, and what did you do to get healthy?????
    Lots of physical therapy, these boring little wrist exercises like 6 times a day with no weight, then using like 1 lb as a weight, and slowly going up every month or so. Now I'm up to about 5 lbs reverse wrist curls. I physically am able to do more of course, but I will pay for it if I do. Stretching the tendons helped too.

An old lady might have arthritis though, I just have tennis elbow

Quote Originally Posted by DipsRus View Post
    It's not really a burning pain, just a "tightness" pain. I can feel it when I bend my elbow, with no weight at all on it. Since last night I must also agree with Tone, I'm forcing myself to take a week off, and if you're worried about your pain, it's probably for the best for you too. I'm done with tri-extensions too. Bench press, military press, and dips are all you need for killer tris. (as in all the exercises that are natural type of movements.)
    These are the specific exercises that are the worst for me actually, well that and curls
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.
    Answers

[QUOTE=dpfisher;2193139]Lots of physical therapy, these boring little wrist exercises like 6 times a day with no weight, then using like 1 lb as a weight, and slowly going up every month or so. Now I'm up to about 5 lbs reverse wrist curls. I physically am able to do more of course, but I will pay for it if I do. Stretching the tendons helped too.

An old lady might have arthritis though, I just have tennis elbow

Ahhh Tennis Elbow, I had reverse tennis elbow, not sure what its called... couldn't grip dumbbells, and couldn't do pull ups or rows... I did ultrasound, and stretches 2 or 3 times a day, went away in 2 weeks...
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-03-2010, 05:25 PM
  2. right bicep pain on and off
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-06-2009, 09:56 PM
  3. CJC/GHRP-6 bicep tendonitis...my experience thus far
    By Distilled Water in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-02-2009, 12:59 AM