Needed a New Routine - Tried the 666 Today

xink

Awards
  • Established
What are your thoughts? I tried the Tuesday routine today and it went pretty well, it was a nice change from my usual routine which I've plateaued on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday - Chest & Abs

Perform 30-45 minutes of cardio before or after weights with a heart rate range of 130-150 bpm.

All exercises done for six sets of six reps with 30 seconds of rest in between sets. Choose a weight that is 80% of your 6 rep max.

* Incline Barbell Bench Press, 6 sets x 6 reps
* Flat Dumbbell Bench Press, 6 x 6
* Pec Dec Flyes, 6 x 6
* Hammer Strength Incline Bench Press, 6 x 6
* Ab Machine Crunch, 6 x 6

Tuesday - Back & Calves

Perform 30-45 minutes of cardio before or after weights with a heart rate range of 130-150 bpm.

All exercises done for six sets of six reps with 30 seconds of rest in between sets. Choose a weight that is 80% of your 6 rep max.

* Pull Ups, 6 sets x 6 reps
* Reverse Grip Rows, 6 x 6
* Lat Pull Downs, 6 x 6
* Pullovers, 6 x 6
* Cable Low Rows, 6 x 6
* Deadlifts, 6 x 6
* Seated Calf Raises, 6 x 6

Wednesday - Arms & Abs

* Barbell Curls, 6 sets x 6 reps
* Cable Pressdowns, 6 x 6
* Preacher Curls, 6 x 6
* Close-Grip Bench Press, 6 x 6
* Incline Hammer Curls, 6 x 6
* Dips, 6 x 6
* Leg Raises, 6 x 6

Thursday - Cardio Only

Perform 30-45 minutes of cardio, with a heart rate range of 130-150 bpm.

Friday - Legs & Calves

* Squats, 6 sets x 6 reps
* Leg Press, 6 x 6
* Leg Curls, 6 x 6
* Lunges, 6 x 6
* Standing Calf Raises, 6 x 6

Saturday - Shoulders, Traps, & Abs

* Standing Shoulder Press, 6 sets x 6 reps
* Side Lateral Raises, 6 x 6
* Front Raises, 6 x 6
* Reverse Pec Dec (Rear Delts), 6 x 6
* Shrugs, 6 x 6
* Ab Machine Crunches, 6 x 6

Sunday

Off. (Don't even do cardio!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found this here: Bodybuilding.com - Training From Hell - The 666 Method! - Marc Lobliner And Derek Charlebois

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Seems like a 5x5 but with more thrown in. Probably a good routine to overtrain on if the weights are up there.

What's a back day look like?

xink

Awards
  • Established
What's a back day look like?
Tuesday - Back & Calves

* Pull Ups, 6 sets x 6 reps
* Reverse Grip Rows, 6 x 6
* Lat Pull Downs, 6 x 6
* Pullovers, 6 x 6
* Cable Low Rows, 6 x 6
* Deadlifts, 6 x 6
* Seated Calf Raises, 6 x 6

xink

Awards
  • Established
Since when do presses work your back? And Ab machine crunches count as "Calves"? Someone needs an anatomy refresher...
Nah, was my bad, I f*cked up while copying and pasting - I just updated it.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nah, was my bad, I f*cked up while copying and pasting - I just updated it.
:lol: Makes sense now. Well, it looks like a pretty standard 5-day split from the movement choices; the set/rep scheme is the only unique aspect. IMO, you'd be better off doing 5x5 or 8x3 (yeah, 8 sets, 3 reps) for one or two lifts, and higher reps for the accessory movements, like 10-15. 6x6 for everything seems imbalanced. But then, I don't like 5-day splits to begin with - not enough volume or frequency if you only get to work a group one day a week.

Still, dude, nothing beats variation. If it's different than what you are accustomed to, it'll probably do you some good for a couple of weeks at least. Provided you eat properly, of course. :)

xink

Awards
  • Established
IMO, you'd be better off doing 5x5 or 8x3 (yeah, 8 sets, 3 reps) for one or two lifts, and higher reps for the accessory movements, like 10-15. 6x6 for everything seems imbalanced.
Yeah, I was considering changing the set and rep count, what I had been doing with my old routine was 12/8/6 - I would start pretty heavy and progressively add even more weight.

Meh, I'll give this a shot for a few weeks, I measure like crazy so I'll be able to tell if this helps pretty quickly.

Thanks for the input,

X

xink

Awards
  • Established
Where's the third 6?
From the article:

"I've been doing a new type of training. One where I use high volume and moderate reps and little rest between sets. In fact, I use mainly sets of six reps, I rest for 30 seconds and do six total sets." I said. Derek then deduced some simple math that somehow eluded me, "So you do six sets of six reps in six minutes?"

xink

Awards
  • Established
I don't know about this... I think it's a solid workout, it hits all my major body sections, however I'm concerned at the number of reps with less weight. I'm thinking of sticking with the routine but swapping out the sets/reps to something like this:

12X8X6
Going medium, moderately heavy, heavy... I think this may be good for getting more cut but I want to focus more on growth so keeping the weight more heavy sounds logical.

Thoughts?

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
As someone mentioned variation is key your body adapts to workouts so changing it up often is key to building muscle. I think it was resolve that said Go with like 5x5 For main lifts and like 10-15 reps for accesories i feel the same way. Overall not bad routine set up.