Need Advice - Flys

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.67%

Need Advice - Flys

I have only been seriously lifting for the past few months. Every time I do flys, flat or incline, the only burn or pump I feel is in my shoulders. What could i be doing wrong? What is the correct form (angle of arms from body , bend in arms, squeeze, etc...)? I'm using only about 20 lb dumbells to try to avoid putting so much of the strain on my shoulders.

Thanks for the advice!

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.26%

Use the rainbow/arc method. Sounds gay. but you follow the arc/rainbow through your motion.....and MENTALLY use your pecs to pull in the weight. It takes a bit to learn your muscles,but soon it works. I looked like a fukin retard for a month or so when I started flyes, but soon I was there.....P.S dont go heavt too fast!
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.75%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Best thing I can say is to pretend you are going to hug a tree.. keep your elbows bent a bit. And I've found you only need to go about 2/3 of the way up.. after that your not really flexing the muscle any more... the further down I let my arms go, the more they seem to work.. that really stretches them out.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.37%

It might be that you don't have the stabilizing muscles yet. I used to have trouble with dumbbell flyes when I started. Try doing flyes with a pec deck or with cables first. Really feel it out on there first and then try dumbbells and see if it helped.
  5. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by WeakPoint View Post
    It might be that you don't have the stabilizing muscles yet. I used to have trouble with dumbbell flyes when I started. Try doing flyes with a pec deck or with cables first. Really feel it out on there first and then try dumbbells and see if it helped.
    good point. If you're stabilising muscles need developing do plenty of rear-delt flies as well (machine to begin, then DBs) - I still work them on my shoulder and back days - made a huge difference to me.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.18%

Take your hands a put them together out in front of you. Push together, you should be able to feel the squeeze in your pecs. Practice until you do. Whne performing flys concentrate on this feeling/form. I bend my arms just slightly (my left arm does not straighten fully due to an injury anyway). I a better squeeze this way.

Good luck!
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.54%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Keep you shoulder blades squeeze together. Don't try to touch them together at the top. I keep my elbows bent to take some pressure off my elbows. Your range of motion will be a bit shorter keeping your shoulder blades squeezed, but it should help keep tension on pecs.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.67%

Thanks guys...I will try to implement this advice. I think the stabilizing muscles are definitely still developing, and somewhat weak. Thanks again for the help!
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.17%

I'm not very big or strong yet and the pec-dec first works for me. I just used DBs for incline flys for the first time last week and the 35s felt really easy. If I hadn't had done the pec dec I'd be in the same position as the thread starter. Of course I started doing incline DB presses about 2 months ago so maybe they helped too, but I still like the pec dec in my routine.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.67%

Thanks guys! I tried Cable crossovers last night and fell in love. Probably the best chest pump/burn I've ever felt.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.54%

Not sure I understand or agree with the guys saying to not go all the way up or touch the weights together. I have to say I disagree with those statements. I get the best pumps when I bring the weights all the way together, and give my chest an extra hard squeeze at the top by pushing the weights together. It also keeps them from bouncing off each other.

Interested in hearing other opinions about this.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Labral Tear / Rear Delt Flys
    By theface in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2009, 10:18 PM
  2. will decline dumbell flys wreck shoulders?
    By Bendiesel in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 03:48 PM
  3. Cable vs. Dumbell Flys
    By mcQ in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-05-2003, 04:57 PM