Need a new routine.

redline2101

Awards
Ok so I've gained 38lbs. thus far without a real set routine, just rotating upper/lower body and lifting when I felt alright, but those were easy beginner gains and now I need a routine. Mass>Strength is my goal, although obviously I'd like both. Trying to hit 180 as soon as I can. All my supplements are running out so my new supp stack will be pretty simple and look like:

100% Whey Gold Standard
100% Casein
Mega Mens Multivitamin
Superpump 250
Fish Oil
I have creatine mono, but I never see it help really so probably wont even bother with it.
Tons of food.

I can do any number o days per week any amount of time . I enjoy intense workouts, and I'd like the toughest training and most effective training I could pull off as an ectomorph. I'm 18 so my recovery might be a bit better, but i'll let more experienced people decide that. I'm really looking forward to a new routine, so thanks in advance to anybody that can point me in the right direction. Theres just soooo much out there I don't know where to even begin.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I would search for either Doggcrap or madcow 5x5....I would like to do the DC routine but don't have the equipment to go to failure and get out from under a bar, so I'm doing the 5x5 right now, with squats and bench 3x a week, and rows 2x and deads 1x.

It was little tough the first week, but now that I'm thru week number 2 I've gotten used to it and it seems to be working!!

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
That's MACDOW 5x5, not Madcow. LOL

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the DC training will give you awesome results

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Dc training for the win.

A 3 day DC routine has changed my mind completely about 5 day traditional training and other routines. There are plenty of people here that advocate it as well as on Dante's site (intensemuscle) so, simply put,..... it works.

redline2101

Awards
Ok so i've been reading about DC, but I cant figure out an actual routine, where would I go to like print out what exactly i'm doing?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, there isn't a truly set DC routine. part of its value is that you vary the exercises. If you look at the site intense muscle there is some good information for building your dc program. if you want to try putting one together after reading that, then people here will help you iron out details

redline2101

Awards
EDIT: The more I read about this the more i'm thinking i'm not ready for it. I see a ton of things saying for advanced lifters and not for teens. Maybe theres a better mass routine to build a better base?

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
EDIT: The more I read about this the more i'm thinking i'm not ready for it. I see a ton of things saying for advanced lifters and not for teens. Maybe theres a better mass routine to build a better base?
I think a traditional BB 5 day routine, working your body parts on their own day, would be good for building a good base, reinforcing your form, and building up your overall intensity. Or maybe even a simple 3 day powerlifting inspired routine that evolves more around the big lifts and strength gains.

The one thing about DC is that RAW intensity, organized workouts, with everything written down for work sets, and also an organized diet that compliments the training, is a must. Its takes alot of intensity and determination to keep pushing through a 20 rep set of something rest-paused, when you can only do it say 7 times on a straight set.

If you need to mess around with traditional training programs to get experienced and build a good bass first, go for it. You can always save DC for a later date, as it isnt going anywhere.

redline2101

Awards
Would a 5x5 build mass > strength. I'm not sure how much the rep ranges really matter as far as muscle building goes. People tend to always say 1-5 for fast twitch and 6-12 for slow, but does it really make that much of a difference? Id think that the stronger you get the bigger you get, but thats just another thing iv'e seen argued over and never got a clear answer.

EDIT: I really like the look of the Macow 5x5, so if that will help me put on a better base i'm all for it.

WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
It focuses on all the lifts that compliment both size and strength.
Squats, Deads, Benches, Rows. The reason why I think this program helps the majority of beginners is because a lot of them don't do some of these lifts to begin with (squats, deads).

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok so I've gained 38lbs. thus far without a real set routine, just rotating upper/lower body and lifting when I felt alright, but those were easy beginner gains and now I need a routine. Mass>Strength is my goal, although obviously I'd like both. Trying to hit 180 as soon as I can.
Stats: 5'11" 168 lbs
Woah big fella!

You went from 5'11" and 130lbs to 168lbs. A true all out DoggCrapp will KILL you. Relax and continue with the basic compound exercises at 8-12 reps for quite a while longer.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
just finished 1st week of dc and it is awesome

redline2101

Awards
Woah big fella!

You went from 5'11" and 130lbs to 168lbs. A true all out DoggCrapp will KILL you. Relax and continue with the basic compound exercises at 8-12 reps for quite a while longer.
Yea thats what I was thinking, it would kill me. Now a 5x5 is obviously focusing on a 5 rep range, but like you said I should be at 8-12 reps. So now i'm not 100% sure what to do, but i'm thinking basically Macow 5x8 instead? Like should I just tweak it like that?

WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
I do about 2 warm up sets. One set with very little weight and stretch and the next set maybe 20 pounds heavier. Maybe try 1x10-12 2x5-6 2x8-10