tips for a big/ripped back

at1010

Awards
  • Established
i have one day a week devoted to my back and it has really come along anyone have any tips to good lifts/reps to do to get in insane ripped??

JKBB44

Awards
The deadlift should be a core exercise for adding mass to your back as well as various rowing exercises.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Are you talking ripped or power and strength Or both all three?

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
rows bent over heavy rows, squats, chins, power cleans

at1010

Awards
  • Established
i dont really care about strength as much as size and ripped as far as my back goes
and i am also refering to just my lats not my lower back...
my current routine is
bent over db rows
barbell underhand pulls
lat pull downs wide
lat pull down underhand grip
reverse flys
row machine type you put plats on and arm acts like a swing..i go this both over/underhand
and lat pull ups

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
i dont really care about strength as much as size and ripped as far as my back goes
my current routine is
bent over db rows
barbell underhand pulls
lat pull downs wide
reverse flys
row machine type you put plats on and arm acts like a swing..i go this both over/underhand
and lat pull ups
that will do it, just do chin and pullups not in the machine

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have one day a week devoted to my back and it has really come along anyone have any tips to good lifts/reps to do to get in insane ripped??
If you want to get "ripped" you need to look at your diet...As far as adding mass to your upper back, close-grip pull-ups and BB bent over rows worked extremely well for me. I used to do just these on Back days, as heavy as possible, adding weight and/or reps each time. I did 16-18 sets in total for Back.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
1) Deads... If you aren't doing them, your losing out.
2) BB rows - mod to high rep, contraction is everythiing on this exercise(flip from over/under hand)the weight is subjective, so make sure your technique is "up to par"first.
3)Start and end you w/o with chins/pullups, to failure at end of w/o

loganccga

Awards
My back workout consist of:

One arm DB rows(no support, leaning on my knee) - 3x10 at 120
Deadlifts - 225x12 315x10, 405x6, 495x2, max
DB pull back shrugs - 3x10 heavy
Good Mornings - rotate weekly, heavy and reps
Bent over BB rows - 50% reps

Every other week I rotate some sort of strongman conditioning. (i.e.Farmers Walk, plate rows) I also add in partial deadlifts for strength.

If you want it, you gotta go get it.

EMT803

EMT803

Awards
After doing rows for a LONG time, doing unassisted chins/ pullups from assorted grips has worked wonders for me. When I first started doing them and was unable to do a lot of reps, using MILD assistance with a chair or "body english" got me over the hump. Dead lifts are AWESOME to however, and always make me feel great. Good luck and have fun!

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
For back, I mainly stick with pull-ups, heavy barbell rows and deadlifts. Occasionally I'll switch it up and do cable rows or T-bar rows, still going heavy. For pull-ups I usually shoot for a certain number (say 50) and do as many sets until I reach 50. If I'm having a low energy day and I get to the point where I can only do a few at a time, I'll cut down my rest time to like 10-15 seconds at the most and just crank them out. Keep in mind that this is all the way up, all the way down. I'm exercising to train muscles, not just shooting for a number.

For back, full range of motion is very, very important. Especially for pulldown motions, such as pull-ups or using the lat pulldown machine. Also, I always stretch a little after any pulldown motion exercise and flex between rowing exercises or deadlifts, such as doing a double biceps pose or a front lat spread. I have no intention of competing, so "posing" for me is basically just flexing targeted muscle groups... Yeah!

I do think it's okay to cheat a little on the really heavy sets, such as the last set or two.

Basically, master the form on your back exercises, shoot for full range of motion and go as heavy as you can (6-8 rep range mostly, but do some power sets of 4 reps or even lower sometimes). Deadlifts allow you to handle a lot of weight, so make use of that. I usually do a warm-up set or two for deads and then load on the weight so I'm failing after 5 reps, 3 reps, then maybe 1-2 reps.

Stretch a lot after you're done working the back. I like to hang from a pullup bar with my grip as wide as I can and really stretch out my lats. Then I'll go over to a treadmill and bend into it (or anything you can grab onto and lean into it, such as doorway or whatever), stretching even more.

Remember, the back is pretty complex. You want to know what the muscles were designed for (essentially pulling the shoulders back and down - pulldown, and then rowing motions). You want to work the pulldown function as well as the rowing motion.

Master form, full range of motion, go heavy, stretch... Bingo!

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
yea id day Deads are a must they are a huge mass builder...

Then Do maybe 1-2 heavy lifts such as DB or Barbell Rows and then id superset a bunch of light weight hytrophy stuff.. thats what works best for me go Heavy as hel.l for 2 sets then go real light and superset. Power and pump baby

bleedingthrou

bleedingthrou

Awards
my current routine is
bent over db rows
barbell underhand pulls
lat pull downs wide
reverse flys
and lat pull ups
Can you do weighted Pull ups? just like everyone else says you need to be doing DEADLIFTS, saying that youre only refering to lats and not lower back is like saying youre only interested in your anterior deltoids not the posterior...

dcw86

Awards
in order to get size you gotta lift heavy dude.....GO BIG OR GO HOME...live by that moto!!!

at1010

Awards
  • Established
how does that help me?? of course i lift heavy and i push my self very hard just like i am sure everyone else on this site does im just wondering if anyone has a specific back routine that they do with sets and reps that helped them get shredded

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
how does that help me?? of course i lift heavy and i push my self very hard just like i am sure everyone else on this site does im just wondering if anyone has a specific back routine that they do with sets and reps that helped them get shredded
Do you want to gain more muscle in your back or do you just want to lean up? For the former what you do re training will make a huge difference in whether you make gains or not (as well as eating for it). For the latter it doesn't matter what you do, so long as you're lifting hard and heavy and your diet (KEY point DIET) is correct! (And note that if you do NOT have the muscle there to begin with, even if you get "shredded" you are still not going to look "big").

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

at1010

Awards
  • Established
thanks a lot, i look big now not to sound ****y i mean im a stocky dude im 5'9 200 pounds decently low bf....i dont have a six pack but i have a flat stomach...i just feel like my whole body is strong except for my lat area i feel like it could use alil work

cmc

cmc

Awards
Here is my recipe for a ripped back, works for me.
1) Good genetics
2) Various gripped pull ups
3) Seated cable rows
4) Bent rows
5) One arm dumbell rows
6) Lots of massages from various women, It;s very good to incorporate the confusion principle here, the back muscles will respond better to various female hands.

Attachments

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I'm down with back massages. Haha

Heavy weight, good form and full range of motion. Pull-ups, various rowing exercises, bing, bong, done! Also, stretch dat shizzle!

I know I've already said this in my above post.... But whateva

rab71

rab71

Awards
Here is my recipe for a ripped back, works for me.
1) Good genetics
2) Various gripped pull ups
3) Seated cable rows
4) Bent rows
5) One arm dumbell rows
6) Lots of massages from various women, It;s very good to incorporate the confusion principle here, the back muscles will respond better to various female hands
Out of this I really agree with the various pullups. There are so many variations. When I first started performing pullups I could 2... YES I said 2...

After many months of woking out I blast through sets of 10-20 depends if I do them first or last. I love them. My favorite it taking a towels and wrapping it around the bar so it hangs down grap each end and pull. These are great for lats.

For a nice V shaped broad back I think wide grip pullups are the best. Good luck!

at1010

Awards
  • Established
thanks man ill try it...why the towel tho? more of a stretch on your lats on the way down??

rab71

rab71

Awards
The towel is for grip. Throw it up over the bar. Wait til you try it your forearms will burn. Hope you have strong hands. ;)

If that is too hard use the rope with the little balls on the end for tricep pushdowns. Throw that up over. This is great on your lats... Oh you could also use that triangle shaped thing for rows. Ether way all these are great for lats.

Wide grip = broad back.