1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.01%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Huge in a hurry

I have a subscription for fight magazine, it's an mma magazine, they had an interesting article, it says theres no need to go to lift until failure because the faster you lift the more muslce fibers your using and just to stop when your speed slows down, do more sets with less reps this way and you'll end up stronger, the book they mention that discusses this idea is called Huge in a Hurry if anyone has heard of it

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.18%

Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    I have a subscription for fight magazine, it's an mma magazine, they had an interesting article, it says theres no need to go to lift until failure because the faster you lift the more muslce fibers your using and just to stop when your speed slows down, do more sets with less reps this way and you'll end up stronger, the book they mention that discusses this idea is called Huge in a Hurry if anyone has heard of it
    One mag i read said i dont need to go to the gym 3+ times a week.. In 30mins 2 times a week i can become hugge!! Half the crap in mags are BS
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.4%

Makes sense, there are different approaches to muscle.

But look at how mma guys look, dont have the super big muscles like BB guys.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.01%

lol so maybe i should follow that routine so i look like an in shape human being, rather than an idiot lol
  5. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.16%

The book is by Chad Waterbury, and while it should be taken with a grain of salt and the knowledge that he is primarily a performance, not bb, coach, he has some valid points.

A concentric motion, when performed rapidly, does recruit more motor units of a wider variety. However, a controlled eccentric with a good stretch introduces more microtrauma, so keep that in mind too.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  6. dpfisher

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    A concentric motion, when performed rapidly, does recruit more motor units of a wider variety. However, a controlled eccentric with a good stretch introduces more microtrauma, so keep that in mind too.
    So basically DC training?
  7. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.16%

Not at all, about as far from dc as you can get. Here, you'd use a load you can lift when fresh for 4-6rep and end the set as soon as a rep loses speed. Each rep is performed as fast as possible.

I say that fast concentric, controlled eccentric is better for hypertrophy purposes, but think Chad's idea concerning motor recruitment are right on.

DC training, you perform one rest-pause set and concentric rate doesn't come into play at all. If your reps slow down, tough, you keep pushing 'em out.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.53%

I'm just guessing but if it's a MMA Magazine wouldn't any type of weight training they suggest be used in conjunction with MMA training? If that is indeed the case then you wouldn't want to leave it all in the weight room. Also as an MMA training mag they are probably advocating major compound lifts and olympic lifts as anything else is pretty much pointless as far as MMA training is concerned.
  9. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.76%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rammy222 View Post
    One mag i read said i dont need to go to the gym 3+ times a week.. In 30mins 2 times a week i can become hugge!! Half the crap in mags are BS
    Well you know the Bowflex commercials say "15 minutes a day, 3 days a week." And if those big and ripped guys on the commercial say that, it has to be true.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

ha if u read the magazines that have brady Quinns workout in them? Its something like

SINgle leg Dumbell Squat
    Push up
    Leg raises

all 3 x 10

like yea im sure he hit 26 reps on 225 by doin that lol its all garbage
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.01%

i'm not saying i believe or support exactly what the magazine says, i thought it was interesting and wanted to see what other ppl thought about it....out of all the things i've ever read that said go until failure and this one says the opposite, i would need more proof or other ppl backing that logic before i ever started following it
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.53%

The only type of strength training that worked for me without going to failure have been advanced GVT and a routine that revolved around prilepin's table.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.2%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I think that training thattaway is to mostly help with speed and explosiveness, which in MMA with shooting and landing hits *could* be important.

Huge in a Hurry is a ghey name IMO, especially for that style of training.
    True story:

I give a f**K!!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Hurry hurry before it's too late!
    By iForce in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 09:06 PM
  2. Replies: 77
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 10:48 PM