over training questions?? am i over training

jceabuca

Awards
hi im wondering if im possibly over training myself...
let me first say that im 23 years old and have been training very seriously for the past 3 years, before that i always worked out but not very dedicated. i train 4-5 days a week usually two muscle groups a day... i like to change my programs evry 2 weeks at least just to give my body guessing...
im 6'3" 205-210lbs usually i like to think im pretty lean im guessing im around 8-10 % bodyfat..
i usually train chest and back together, then arms, then legs , then shoulders traps, but i like to switch the order i do them, some weeks i go heavy usually beginning with 12 reps and then pyramidding down 12,10,8,6 adding 10lbs each set.. then i like to go 15-20 reps some weeks to switch it up,

typical chest and back workout is
flat bench press 4 sets, incline bench 4 sets, decline bench 4 sets, flat chest flies 4 sets, then peck deck machine flies 3 sets then burnout with pushups...
back is usually 4 sets wide grip chinups to failure(usually get like 12-15), pulldowns into chest 4 sets, t bar rows 4 sets, pulldowns behind the head 4 sets, 4 sets seated row, and 3 sets lawnmower pulls...

just wondering if thats too much
i take in about 3000 calories a day and about 40-60 grams of fat and around 250 grams of protein thru shakes and foods chicken beef fish potatoes etc...
not a pro here just tryin to seek some guidance, hope i dont sound retarded lol

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
How do you feel physically? What is your daily split? I personally think its a bit much chest. You could drop one of the fly moves and 1 set of each less if you feel like doing all three. I would suggest pick two presses and one fly per workout. Then next workout use two other presses and a different fly. I think that much volume is hard to really progress with unless you are using AAS and have ridiculous recovery.

jceabuca

Awards
usually chest/back monday, arms tuesday, legs wednesday, shoulders/traps thursday then usually like a high rep total body workout either friday or saturday, and i do cardio 3 days a week for around 20-30 minutes

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
Better to over train than to under train!
Read up on San Helyes' ( sp?????????????????)

Are you tired? Are you workouts high energy?
Are you sleeping enough? Naps?

You can workout hard for 4-6 weeks, some can go longer. You must listen to your body.
Workout hard 4-6 weeks, back off for a week or longer, then hit it hard once again.

jceabuca

Awards
ya i train as quick as possible with mayeb 30-45 seconds rest between sets at most, depending on what im doin usually more rest in between on heavy days and less on high rep days i usually take 4-5 days off once every month or so, im still gaining strength i was just wondering because all these "advanced workouts" i see in magazines are way less than wut i do, i appreciate ur help, i stay pretty sore after workouts usually 2-3 days of soreness and i usually cant do cardio for at least 2 days after leg days, i sleep 7-9 hours a night and i eat every 2-3 hours depending on what im lookin for, since winter is coming i plan on eating more and tryin to gain while i dont have to be seen shirtless lol

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Seems fine to me... although, my back days and chest days are both harder... I do them once a week on separate days tho.

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
that isnt over training if u are eating enough for your body to keep up on recovery. if not eat more and get a little more rest

WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
hi im wondering if im possibly over training myself...
let me first say that im 23 years old and have been training very seriously for the past 3 years, before that i always worked out but not very dedicated. i train 4-5 days a week usually two muscle groups a day... i like to change my programs evry 2 weeks at least just to give my body guessing...
im 6'3" 205-210lbs usually i like to think im pretty lean im guessing im around 8-10 % bodyfat..
i usually train chest and back together, then arms, then legs , then shoulders traps, but i like to switch the order i do them, some weeks i go heavy usually beginning with 12 reps and then pyramidding down 12,10,8,6 adding 10lbs each set.. then i like to go 15-20 reps some weeks to switch it up,

typical chest and back workout is
flat bench press 4 sets, incline bench 4 sets, decline bench 4 sets, flat chest flies 4 sets, then peck deck machine flies 3 sets then burnout with pushups...
back is usually 4 sets wide grip chinups to failure(usually get like 12-15), pulldowns into chest 4 sets, t bar rows 4 sets, pulldowns behind the head 4 sets, 4 sets seated row, and 3 sets lawnmower pulls...

just wondering if thats too much
i take in about 3000 calories a day and about 40-60 grams of fat and around 250 grams of protein thru shakes and foods chicken beef fish potatoes etc...
not a pro here just tryin to seek some guidance, hope i dont sound retarded lol

You do both chest and back on the same day?
I think I counted 42 sets in a workout then.

I'll ask you this one question do you keep the same intensity throughout your whole work-out? I know for me if I did that much volume, I would do the first few exercises as heavy as I can go, then I'd be so tired from doing all those sets that I'd cop out on the last exercises.
I prefer to keep all my work-outs to a 30 set maximum, but mostly I'm in the 22-26 range.

bleedingthrou

bleedingthrou

Awards
I would split up your chest and back day, your back is such a complex muscle group that it deserves its own day, and where are the deadlifts??? On your chest day try switching the order up, incline before flat bench, most people are lacking in the upper chest development, also get rid of the burnout pushups it is not going to help put on size. Get rid of that full body workout day, take the time to let your body recover. What do your leg workouts consist of? Are you working a 5 on 2 off split??

bleedingthrou

bleedingthrou

Awards
Forgot to mention this, take off the behind the neck pulldowns, and switch the pulldowns into chest to a close-reverse grip to nail the lower lats, take out the cables and like i said before ADD DEADLIFTS!!! otherwise your back will never be as wide as a barn door.

Take or leave the advice.

EMT803

EMT803

Awards
I am at the final 3 weeks of p90x and I definetly feel like I am over trained. I have really been pushing myself non-stop the last two months and I believe that my overtraining is definetly due to not getting enough rest. In order to get my workouts in, I have to wake up at 4am Mon-Fri and sometimes Saturday so I average 5-6 hours sleep. I'm noticing now that I'm not as enthusiastic pre-workout, it takes me longer to get the blood pumping, appetite is down, energy is down,strength has plateaued, my knees and left elbow is achey, and I wake up periodically during the night (which, due to the amount of sleep that I get, sucks). Ordinarily I would take a little break but I really want to finish this program and I have seen very good results from it. The worst symptom to me is definetly the lack of motivation but I'm powering through it.
To top it all off, my libido is pretty much non-existant as well. The good thing is I only have 22 more days to go. Best of luck to you man. Whatever you do GET YOUR REST.

bleedingthrou

bleedingthrou

Awards
To top it all off, my libido is pretty much non-existant as well. The good thing is I only have 22 more days to go. Best of luck to you man. Whatever you do GET YOUR REST.
Dude grab a bottle of Diesel Test Hardcore, it will bring the libido up in no time at all

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bumping up mono and sat fats is a much better idea than using a supplement to get the libido going.

EMT803

EMT803

Awards
Dude grab a bottle of Diesel Test Hardcore, it will bring the libido up in no time at all
Thanks man. I really appreciate the feedback and concern more than you know. I was actually on DTP the last few weeks (just finished my bottle two days ago) and it did absolutely nothing for me at recomended dose, lower dose, higher dose etc. I was really pumped about that aspect of that product and I guess I'm a non-responder. Again, I really appreciate the suggestion. Mono, omega and saturated fats have been in check as well. I just need a little break I guess. This has happened to me before.