Two A Days

lironk

Awards
Does anyone have any thoughts and, more importantly, experiences with double days? Stupidity or Brilliance?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Does anyone have any thoughts and, more importantly, experiences with double days? Stupidity or Brilliance?
If you're going to do that then you need to make sure that you're EATING FOR IT!!! Otherwise, nothing wrong with it if you can handle it and it fits on with your goals; many athletes (myself included) do this successfully. You wouldn't want to do EVERY day like that though; even athletes have an 'easy' day once a week.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

lironk

Awards
Interesting. Would you go for same body parts lighter weight as Ive heard, or entirely different body parts??

Liron

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting. Would you go for same body parts lighter weight as Ive heard, or entirely different body parts??

Liron
You're talking resistance training specifically, then. Personally I would go as heavy as possible for a different body-part. However, it doesn't matter what I would do, since everyone who does this would have to fins what works for them and a regime that suited their goals. Personally, though, I would not do TWO resistance sessions in a day. I would do a mixture of weights/cardio or HIT if I were to do a second session involving resistance training and make it as intense as possible. Again, everyone is different, and how I train I would never recommend to others.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

lironk

Awards
Yeah. I tried it the other day and my CNS was toast the next day. Not recommended!

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
two-a-days are pretty standard for some styles of training, particularly in eastern Europe (Bulgaria in particular). Mornings are heavy load, evenings are high volume, with at least 6hrs between them. Charles Poliquin recommends a similar set-up, focusing on one or two body parts per day.

Another option, advocated by Chad Waterbury, is lower volume total-body routines twice-a-day. Again, high load in the morning, higher reps at night.

Finally, I've seen C.S. Sloan (I think it was him, but don't quote me) advocate one body part in the morning with a variety of loads and rep schemes, and an entirely different body part at night.

I've tried both Poliquin's and Waterbury's recommended routines of this style, and actually had far better results, strengthwise, with Waterbury's. My squat and deadlift hit alltime highs while doing that routine.